Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:37 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
The thing is - I could afford the dresses new, but I think, "Hmmm... If I can talk that lady down to $100, that's $300-$400 that can go into booze money!" Or then I think, "Hmmm, I'd rather buy an old Volvo for that...."

I haven't seen any good sales on anything in my size. At least nothing I felt thrilled about!

I feel like I will need to alter anything I would get new as well (I have a large chest, relatively narrow waist, and wide hips. For most formal dresses, I have had to purchase it to fit my chest and then have it taken in at the waist) so I wasn't thinking of that as an extra expense.

I do wonder if they have any good Black Friday sales, but so far the sales on things I've liked haven't really been anything to brag about. I could always purchase a sample from them online, but I'm not sure if I'd do that or not since you can't see it beforehand and a lot of the samples at my store in my size have makeup stains, missing beading, etc.
A friend of mine found a new dress on clearance at the last minute at David's Bridal and paid only 100 bucks for it.

There are deals to be had!

I got mine new from DB and paid 500 for it, it was on sale for 50 bucks off. Alterations cost a good deal of money, so I think it was another 150 for alterations.

I still felt like that wasn't too expensive.

But... if you want a 100-dollar dress, maybe you should stake out any DBs in the area for clearance stuff.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:12 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,720,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
A friend of mine found a new dress on clearance at the last minute at David's Bridal and paid only 100 bucks for it.

There are deals to be had!

I got mine new from DB and paid 500 for it, it was on sale for 50 bucks off. Alterations cost a good deal of money, so I think it was another 150 for alterations.

I still felt like that wasn't too expensive.

But... if you want a 100-dollar dress, maybe you should stake out any DBs in the area for clearance stuff.
I really do find their deals to be lacking. In my size, I see one or two clearance dresses, neither of which I like. There are many more styles in other sizes, just not mine! I'm sitting at about seven months out so I guess I need to decide soon. The pre-owned dresses are the size I'd buy in store so I might go that route if the Black Friday sales don't impress me. I am limited in that I cannot wear strapless and I haven't seen anything I love enough to deal with having that added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I really do find their deals to be lacking. In my size, I see one or two clearance dresses, neither of which I like. There are many more styles in other sizes, just not mine! I'm sitting at about seven months out so I guess I need to decide soon. The pre-owned dresses are the size I'd buy in store so I might go that route if the Black Friday sales don't impress me. I am limited in that I cannot wear strapless and I haven't seen anything I love enough to deal with having that added.
Yeah. My friend wears a size 10. I guess they had a good many of those when she bought hers. It was in early spring.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah. My friend wears a size 10. I guess they had a good many of those when she bought hers. It was in early spring.
Yes!

Unfortunately, I am a fatty and a size 22 in wedding dresses. There is definitely a way better selection in their non-plus line as far as clearance dresses are concerned, but they have a better plus line than anywhere else I've been. I guess I am just confused. Like I feel like that "knowing" when it's the right one thing is a myth!

One of these is a strong favorite, until I saw the $800 sale price tag.

Used wedding dresses :)-dress1.png
-I can buy this one new with tags in my size on craigslist for $150.
Used wedding dresses :)-dress2.png

Used wedding dresses :)-dress2back.png

Those two are photos of my absolute favorite, but I cannot find it gently used anywhere nor do I like the idea of paying $800 for something I will wear for.... six hours?
Used wedding dresses :)-dress3.png

Used wedding dresses :)-dress4.png

I can only imagine how uncomfortable I will feel all day.

Used wedding dresses :)-dress5.png

Used wedding dresses :)-dress5back.png
The last two are pics of my mom's favorite - I can buy the sample online via DB for $300 or buy it used from a lady for $240 with the slip included.

I guess I have a conundrum bc I will probably have to have a strapless bra custom made in my size as no store near me (even the specialty store!) carries them in my true size .... so nothing looks that great since my undergarments are ill-fitting workarounds for the time being.... but I don't want to have anything made until I decide the dress....

and I dunno why it causes me so much anxiety. Deciding on the man was way easy.... lol.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 PM

I like that last one that's your mom's favorite. It looks the absolute best on you.

It's quite flattering! Do you not like that one?

I like the one that you were thinking of for less (the 100-buck one), but it doesn't seem like it was actually designed for a woman with much cleavage, and that could be an issue after a few hours of wear.

The one you like that's 800 is nice, I agree. I still think the one your mom chose looks best, though.

I'm pretty unconventional, but I do love it when a dress fits in all the right places. I tried on about 5 dresses and wound up buying the first one I tried on. What are the odds?

Ones I thought were going to be perfect were ill-fitting on me. I have a large chest. My dress was a size 12 to get my chest to fit and I had to have it taken in everywhere else. I was between an 8-10 when we got married. I'm more a solid 10 now. Wedding planning was a real appetite suppressant, I think. LOL.

p.s. My dress was altered well enough that I went braless with it. And I'm a 38DD. HA!

Old 11-25-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I like that last one that's your mom's favorite. It looks the absolute best on you.

It's quite flattering! Do you not like that one?

I like the one that you were thinking of for less (the 100-buck one), but it doesn't seem like it was actually designed for a woman with much cleavage, and that could be an issue after a few hours of wear.

The one you like that's 800 is nice, I agree. I still think the one your mom chose looks best, though.

I'm pretty unconventional, but I do love it when a dress fits in all the right places. I tried on about 5 dresses and wound up buying the first one I tried on. What are the odds?

Ones I thought were going to be perfect were ill-fitting on me. I have a large chest. My dress was a size 12 to get my chest to fit and I had to have it taken in everywhere else. I was between an 8-10 when we got married. I'm more a solid 10 now. Wedding planning was a real appetite suppressant, I think. LOL.

p.s. My dress was altered well enough that I went braless with it. And I'm a 38DD. HA!
I am a 38K which no one will really notices most of the time, luckily! I have wide hips so I look proportional?

It just sucks when it comes to figuring out what looks the best because I don't have the right bra, but don't want to buy the bra until the dress is decided!

And I like my mom's favorite (though I think it is my second favorite after one that costs $800!) and this sounds really stupid, but my college roommate from my freshman year wore that particular dress on her wedding. Not that I think many people will put that together (if any - they'd have to figure it out via facebook probably... I didn't until she recently put up an old wedding photo as a picture), but she was absolutely dreadful and psychologically, I'd have to get over that. I know tons of people have and will wear that dress, but it sucks when it is someone that you have actually hated for years!

I think that is what is stopping me because it might be the best deal overall. I could get a sample dress for $300 or buy it used for $240 with the slip and all of that stuff!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I am a 38K which no one will really notices most of the time, luckily! I have wide hips so I look proportional?

It just sucks when it comes to figuring out what looks the best because I don't have the right bra, but don't want to buy the bra until the dress is decided!

And I like my mom's favorite (though I think it is my second favorite after one that costs $800!) and this sounds really stupid, but my college roommate from my freshman year wore that particular dress on her wedding. Not that I think many people will put that together (if any - they'd have to figure it out via facebook probably... I didn't until she recently put up an old wedding photo as a picture), but she was absolutely dreadful and psychologically, I'd have to get over that. I know tons of people have and will wear that dress, but it sucks when it is someone that you have actually hated for years!

I think that is what is stopping me because it might be the best deal overall. I could get a sample dress for $300 or buy it used for $240 with the slip and all of that stuff!
Well, once you add your own accessories and you have flowers that are different that her, and you make sure that you aren't wearing the same sort of veil, etc... will it matter so much then?

You could also add some sort of detail to it, maybe a rhinestone pin or some such... you should consider how you might modify it ever so slightly to make it different than hers because it does look good on you and compliments your figure.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Well, once you add your own accessories and you have flowers that are different that her, and you make sure that you aren't wearing the same sort of veil, etc... will it matter so much then?

You could also add some sort of detail to it, maybe a rhinestone pin or some such... you should consider how you might modify it ever so slightly to make it different than hers because it does look good on you and compliments your figure.

LOL! I even know it is stupid, because why should I let someone else have power over me not choosing a certain dress!

I figure what I am going to do is if there is a Black Friday sale that would make the $800 dress affordable for me, I will go for it! If not, I will buy my mom's favorite for $240 as long as it is in good shape! I can delete off those girls from my facebook anyway. I haven't talked to any of them in in about 9 years anyway other than weird small talk if we ran into each other oncampus. No idea why I left them on the friend's list.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:27 AM

42 posts, read 60,858 times
Way back when. I got married, my wife had the expensive white dress. I had a minimum wage job, and she was pregnant. 2 weeks after our wedding, the boutique called and was wondering if she would be interested in selling her dress and head piece back to the store.

If I remember it cost something like 150 dollars to rent that dress for a week.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:47 PM

Woot! I feel like I played this perfectly.

I defriended the former mean girls on facebook and I got the last dress! They had an online-only sale that was 50% off of all previously reduced dresses and since it was $50 off before... it ended up being an extra 50% off of that. So with tax, my brand new dress is $317! I could have gotten the dress in a sample for $150 but decided the little bit of extra for new was worth it.

I defriended the mean girls, but would have gotten the first one. It would have been on sale for $400, but none of them were in my size. They only carried a 14 and 28, so it would have needed to be taken in quite a bit or exchanged for a different size. I was told they wouldn't exchange it in the store so it would either have to be altered down or returned for one in my size via mail (only you have to return it and repurchase it so you don't get to keep the sale price! that's pretty crummy).

Overall, just the easiest to go with and am glad I purchased it. Kind of a bummer they wouldn't give you the online price in the store, but whatever!!! $317 for a new wedding dress seems like a good deal to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings