Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:36 PM

146 posts, read 116,220 times

Advertisements

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm looking into engagement rings. I don't know anything about jewelry (I only wear a watch)....where to go (Jared, Zales, what's the difference??)....how much to spend....anything. I'm not asking anybody to make a decision for me, but to offer some helpful advice.

I earn 80k a year, and don't mind spending $3-$4000 on a ring (does that sound about right)? What are some reputable jewelers (like Jared, Zales, Kay....really don't know the difference)? I'm going to look into local jewelers besides what some on this forum may suggest.

As for style....I'm going to try my best to figure that one out. I know she doesn't wear gold, that's a start. But diamonds? Are engagement rings suppose to have diamonds in them? I'm completely lost when it comes to this kind of stuff....sorry.

Just honest general opinions is all I'm asking for. Anything will help!!

Thank you all in advance!!

Regards.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 07:40 PM

Oh, and some information about us......I'm Italian, my girlfriend is Filipino (both of us born and raised in the US). She's a registered nurse. Her birth month is April (she's a Taurus I believe). August was the month we started our relationship. We're both Catholic. Not sure if any of this matters.....but just in case (colors, birth stones, etc....don't know, I really don't).

Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Can you ask her friend, relatives, even her what she likes? Point out Sophia Vergara's wedding ring (she just got engaged. Ask her what she thinks about it.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Here is the advice I got about 50 years ago when I was going to propose. A very wise older man I worked with said "Buy her the biggest diamond you can, because when things get rough she can look down at it and that will help get her through those times."

I also think that it is a good idea to not just spring a ring on her but to let her do the actual picking out of the ring. What you think might look great might not strike her the same way, and she is the one who will be wearing it and showing it off for a lot of years.

Don

Old 01-01-2015, 11:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Can you ask her friend, relatives, even her what she likes? Point out Sophia Vergara's wedding ring (she just got engaged. Ask her what she thinks about it.
I'm thinking that ring is way out of his price range. Whew. It's enormous.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaggs View Post
Oh, and some information about us......I'm Italian, my girlfriend is Filipino (both of us born and raised in the US). She's a registered nurse. Her birth month is April (she's a Taurus I believe). August was the month we started our relationship. We're both Catholic. Not sure if any of this matters.....but just in case (colors, birth stones, etc....don't know, I really don't).
April's birthstone is diamond.

That said, just go to the mall and window shop with her. Ask her what she likes.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:15 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Ask her best friend, she'll know but it can still be a surprise. I've helped the boyfriends of 2 of my friends with picking out the ring.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:35 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is the advice I got about 50 years ago when I was going to propose. A very wise older man I worked with said "Buy her the biggest diamond you can, because when things get rough she can look down at it and that will help get her through those times."

Don
So Love = Money......

Luckily, I refuse to date women who are so obsessed with jewelery that they think they need a $5,000+ ring. If I ever find a girl I want to marry, I don't mine spending some, but if she thinks a ring is more worthwhile than a downpayment on a house, then I wouldn't be marrying her in the first place.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:38 AM

I did some more reading.....I saw a few times that "you can't go wrong with a Tiffany diamond"....coincidentally my girlfriend's birth stone. I also read Tiffany rings are "expensive" and more importantly "overpriced". Does buying a diamond only at Tiffany and the actual ring somewhere else sound like it makes sense?? My girlfriend has a jewelry box that I plan on raiding when she's not around. I'm confident that I can pick a design that she would like based on what she wears. Just the actual process of where to go, what to buy, stuff like that is a bit difficult for me.

Thanks again everybody!

Old 01-02-2015, 08:42 AM

caverunner....it's not about money. My girlfriend doesn't know I'm looking into engagement rings. She would also not be too happy if I spent too much on her. This is a personal choice that I am making. I don't want to be cheap, I also don't want to spend too much. Believe me if you knew her you would not make that comment.

I created this thread to get a general idea of where to go, what to buy, etc because I don't know a thing about jewelry. You comment is completely irrelevant to what I'm asking. Happy dating to you.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings