Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

It's a gift, but if you want to give it back, fine. He broke it off, thank God. I would have given it back, but he didn't ask, so I didn't offer. I did return all the "house" gifts his parents gave to us that Christmas (dishes and stuff). The whole thing was pretty amicable.

Hocked the ring later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay seems like I have everyone of you beat . two hours before the wedding he called on his brothers cell phone and told him to tell me he could not go through with it . and we had the reception hall waiting for us after the wedding too . my dad had already paid for it all and he was p.o. ed to say the least . well my dad went after him in court and dad got half his money back and i kept a 20,000.00 ring and sold it later to a girl i knew who was getting married and she was loving every minute of the ring . everyone had a good time including me we all ate , drank and were merry .
Yup, you got me beat My 19 days from the wedding break up seems like I got let down easy

I've had the rings at my parents' house for a couple years because I couldn't stand to look at them and didn't really have a good way to sell them in my podunk little town. Now that I'm in a bigger city, Mom put them in the mail (registered) today and I'm going to get a few quotes and see how much I can sell them for.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbiti17 View Post
I just went through this situation. My fiance broke off our engagement with only three months till our wedding because he said he fell in love with someone else. Two weeks later he married her! I kept the ring! I had every intention of wearing that ring for the rest of my life and being his wife. He broke off the engagement and he broke my heart. Why should he get that ring back. He had promised that he would love me for the rest of our lives and he broke his part of the contract to marry me. He also promised that he would pay for me to finish nursing school, so I sold the ring to pay for tutition. I dont feel like I was wrong at all for keeping the ring and I never will!
Sorry to hear your fiance was a two-timer. Did he ask for the ring back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay seems like I have everyone of you beat . two hours before the wedding he called on his brothers cell phone and told him to tell me he could not go through with it . and we had the reception hall waiting for us after the wedding too . my dad had already paid for it all and he was p.o. ed to say the least . well my dad went after him in court and dad got half his money back and i kept a 20,000.00 ring and sold it later to a girl i knew who was getting married and she was loving every minute of the ring . everyone had a good time including me we all ate , drank and were merry .
Wow, so close to the wedding! He sounds like the "Runaway Groom".

I don't know his income situation, but it seems ludicrous to spend $20k for an engagement ring. Fiscally irresponsible wouldn't even begin to describe it. Then again, if he's a millionaire where tens of thousands barely puts a dent to his bank account, then I guess it's all good (at least for you, given the circumstance).

Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I came across this article on CNN on who gets the engagement ring if the wedding is canceled. The short answer is it depends on the state and possibly situation (e.g. who called off the wedding). It's an interesting article.

If people would like to share personal experience, feel free to mention it.
I'm familiar with the differences in states (although not personal experience)--
what I'm most familiar with is the woman usually returns the ring simply because it is "the right thing" to do-- whether the guy spent a lot of money on it, or whether it was a family heirloom, etc.

I've found in this state, however, it's entirely different-- the ring legally belongs to the guy until/unless they are actually married.
in my opinion, in this type of situation all a ring means is it's a sign of the guy's "ownership" of the woman.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:41 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Regardless of laws, I would give back the ring because it symbolizes a union between him and I. He can keep it or sell it or pawn it or whatever. The meaning of the ring is that 2 people will be united in matrimony. Once thats off the table, the ring needs to go back to him because he paid for it as a symbol of our engagement/marriage. So its not exactly mine unless I actually marry him Then I would consider it as mine.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:25 AM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Interesting. Ive always heard too, that the person who breaks it off should just let the other have it (back).

Old 04-11-2009, 10:21 PM

170 posts, read 581,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
No it depends on who broke it off and why!

If he breaks it off she keeps the ring period!
If he breaks it off because of something she did like sleeping around sort of thing than she should give the ring back.
If she breaks it off because he did something than she keeps the ring.
If she breaks it off because she does not want to marry him than she should give the ring back.
Exactly, I couldn't have said it better.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:32 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,718 times
rings should be returned no matter the circumstances.
similar story. My ex-wife cheats on me and we get a divorce. She keeps the heirloom quilt my mother made for us as a wedding present.
The only time I wanted to kill my ex.

p.s. man there are some materialist people out there.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,443 times
The person who paid for the ring should keep it. It was a symbol of love; now it`s not.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:58 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
Why would a woman want a ring from an engagement that has been broken off? Do they want that constant reminder? Are they going to wear it? Am I missing something here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings