Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you excited to plan a wedding?
Yes, loved it- worth it! 6 18.75%
Stressful but worth it in the end 8 25.00%
Did it but wasn't excited to do so 4 12.50%
Not at all 14 43.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 PM

227 posts, read 283,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
We all know what STD stands for, and sorry to hear you got one. But FH? The only thing I can come up with is "Fat Husband". Wanna hand me an AD? (Abbreviation Dictionary)
Haha, but I haven't sent them out yet- can't wait to spread the STDs to my friends and family.

I didn't know these things either reading the wedding boards, here and on the Knot, but Google saved me with the following:
STD = Save the Date (cards)
FH = Future Husband
DH = Dear Husband (I think?)

I swear I didn't come up with these, just following a trend that made it easier to type everything out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 10:47 AM

780 posts, read 678,600 times
Years ago, I wanted a big wedding. Then my brother had a small wedding and realized how beautiful small weddings are and from there, I wanted to do the same.

When my fiance and I started talking about weddings, actually facing the task made me revert to just going to a court wedding. Less hassle and less cost!

I did consider destination wedding as another option. It's cheaper and sounds more fun.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:23 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EconHusky View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone has/does want to get married but isn't thrilled about the wedding part.
That's how it was for my wife and I when we married five years ago. We didn't want to deal with the stress and expense of a big wedding, so we arranged to do it by getting dressed up, getting hitched at the courthouse, and having some photos taken on the steps. We then left right for a modest honeymoon and had a small reception upon coming back (cake and cocktails with family and friends at a small lounge we rented out for the evening)

All in all, it was just a few thousand (including the honeymoon) and almost no stress.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. A big wedding seems to be pretty important for some.

Now my wife's sister has a wedding approaching and all the arrangements are such a stress on everyone involved. It reminds us of how we have no regrets about how we did it.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
That's how it was for my wife and I when we married five years ago. We didn't want to deal with the stress and expense of a big wedding, so we arranged to do it by getting dressed up, getting hitched at the courthouse, and having some photos taken on the steps. We then left right for a modest honeymoon and had a small reception upon coming back (cake and cocktails with family and friends at a small lounge we rented out for the evening)

All in all, it was just a few thousand (including the honeymoon) and almost no stress.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. A big wedding seems to be pretty important for some.

Now my wife's sister has a wedding approaching and all the arrangements are such a stress on everyone involved. It reminds us of how we have no regrets about how we did it.
We're definitely doing the wedding in a church, but there probably won't be much else besides a get-together at the reception hall afterwards. My only concern is that there will be enough food for everyone b/c almost all of them (except the pastor and whoever, if anyone else, we invite from the church) will be driving in from out of town.

I was looking up costs of photographers yesterday and most were like in the $1500 range or more for some "package". I'm really not into all that extra stuff. I would just like a couple nice pictures of the two of us, but if it's going to cost over $1000, then we'll just get my brother or someone else to take the pictures; it's not worth it to me. My limit is $400. To me that's way more than enough to offer someone for what we want (I don't want to take over an hour to get the pictures done, in fact that seems a really long time to me for that; I'm going to try to get it done in a half-hour. So, if it's like maybe a hour for them to set up their picture stuff and get the negatives ready--I know next to nothing about that so I may be way over-estimating it or way under-estimating it-- that's giving someone like ~$200 per hour--if they're not happy with that, I'll keep my money and spend it on something better!!!).

Old 04-08-2015, 10:11 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,942 times
I had a fairly traditional wedding. It was expensive to us, but nowhere near the $35k average that weddings cost in our area. We kept the budget to what we could pay for in cash. We saved money by keeping the guest list fairly small (we had 80 ppl attend, invited 100) and by doing a lunch time reception instead of dinner.

I was really excited about my wedding until I actually started planning. It was very stressful and my DH was no help. I definitely don't regret my wedding. It made us really happy to have our family and closest friends all together, but I don't think I could go through that stress again. I strongly considered a small destination wedding in Savannah (because I love Savannah!) but the logistics of flying back and forth to do the planning stressed me out too. I think wedding planning is stressful no matter what you decide. I recommend just going with what makes you feel comfortable and fits in budget....and getting some good pictures!

Good luck and happy planning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings