Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:39 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times

Advertisements

Do not call off the wedding.

However, do everything else in your power to economize. For example, if there are extra things, like hiring a limo to take you somewhere and there's no deposit, cancel it.

Can the honeymoon be canceled? If there are deposits there, maybe not.

The idea is to conserve as much cash as you can.

This is your first test as a couple. You need to support him, but you also need to be realistic. He should be applying for unemployment benefits, insurance benefits (or handling that paperwork), plus networking, such as calling all of his contacts in his field and getting his resume out now.

You can help by being positive and not bothering him with trivia about the wedding.

His responsibility is to work hard at finding a new job and also to be supportive of your efforts. That is, he needs to put aside his worries *at times* and focus on the ceremony.

If his job loss is causing much strife, than the two of you should go somewhere quiet and discuss it. If you are both young and prone to emotional outbursts (creating drama!), get a trusted older relative or friend to also sit in on a portion of this discussion. Put the emotions aside and look logically at what needs to happen over the next several weeks. Understand that he is going to have some bad emotions over losing his job. He needs to understand that he can't let that color *all* of his waking hours.

OP, I'm so sorry this is happening to you! But at least he hasn't been in an accident and is at the edge of death at the hospital, and that did happen to friends. He died on what would've been their wedding day. ):

Good luck! Don't be afraid to draft the help of older friends and relatives who've battled unemployment. They have much wisdom to share.

Please come back and update us as time permits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
I make about six times more than my fiance does currently, as he is a college student, so I would say it wasn't a huge deal. We'd just work through our budget and have a little less disposable income, but we could afford our bills.

There are going to be times in your marriage where you make more than him, he makes more than you.... but at the end of the day, you're playing for the same team. I wouldn't get married if someone getting laid off would make me want to call off the wedding. Seems like if you get to that point - you weren't in it for the right reasons.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:15 PM

780 posts, read 678,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I make about six times more than my fiance does currently, as he is a college student, so I would say it wasn't a huge deal. We'd just work through our budget and have a little less disposable income, but we could afford our bills.

There are going to be times in your marriage where you make more than him, he makes more than you.... but at the end of the day, you're playing for the same team. I wouldn't get married if someone getting laid off would make me want to call off the wedding. Seems like if you get to that point - you weren't in it for the right reasons.
Definitely agree with the bolded... and every thing else.

OP, I thought you were going to say something along the lines of your fiance losing his job because he got fired for acting/doing something bad...

But if it's just money issue, you guys should have already discussed how money works in your marriage. If you haven't, then now is an opportunity to talk about it in terms of expectations out of each other (financially included).

Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Go through with it. You'd lose a bunch of money on deposits, then have to pay to do it all over again later.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Why on earth would you call off the wedding? What would happen if he was laid off a week after the wedding? You'd get a divorce?

A week before the wedding is too late to get deposits back on anything having to do with the wedding, so cancelling wouldn't be a cost-saving measure.

Getting married should be a happy time. Making him think you are having second thoughts about him because he was laid off won't do anything to alleviate his stress.

Good grief.
I agree.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Do not call off the wedding.

However, do everything else in your power to economize. For example, if there are extra things, like hiring a limo to take you somewhere and there's no deposit, cancel it.

Can the honeymoon be canceled? If there are deposits there, maybe not.

The idea is to conserve as much cash as you can.

This is your first test as a couple. You need to support him, but you also need to be realistic. He should be applying for unemployment benefits, insurance benefits (or handling that paperwork), plus networking, such as calling all of his contacts in his field and getting his resume out now.

You can help by being positive and not bothering him with trivia about the wedding.

His responsibility is to work hard at finding a new job and also to be supportive of your efforts. That is, he needs to put aside his worries *at times* and focus on the ceremony.

If his job loss is causing much strife, than the two of you should go somewhere quiet and discuss it. If you are both young and prone to emotional outbursts (creating drama!), get a trusted older relative or friend to also sit in on a portion of this discussion. Put the emotions aside and look logically at what needs to happen over the next several weeks. Understand that he is going to have some bad emotions over losing his job. He needs to understand that he can't let that color *all* of his waking hours.

OP, I'm so sorry this is happening to you! But at least he hasn't been in an accident and is at the edge of death at the hospital, and that did happen to friends. He died on what would've been their wedding day. ):

Good luck! Don't be afraid to draft the help of older friends and relatives who've battled unemployment. They have much wisdom to share.

Please come back and update us as time permits.
Great points.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:34 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times
I would not call it off a week before the wedding. What about all of the money you have put into it? You would not be getting that back.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
I can't really see how this changes anything but then again my GF doesn't make any money and I don't care / don't ever need her income whatsoever.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:48 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,922,759 times
Put the shoe on your self.
Are you employed
What if you lost your job
Think about the marriage vows
Is your relationship based on money

Old 05-20-2015, 07:27 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
Other than some additional financial pressure, does this change anything between the two of you?

I would hope not. Things are going to happen throughout your marriage which will have to be dealt with. It's just "life."

Go get married and enjoy the special day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings