Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 PM

21 posts, read 18,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Have your parents done anything for you, ever? If so, you had third party help. But of course, I will hear back a reply using your logic that will basically state, "NO! My parents did nothing for me except give birth to me! I did it ALL myself so that way my fiance's parents have nothing to hold over me and when my wife and I get into a fight i can say i did it all myself."

My parents submitted a FAFSA based upon their income so I could get student loans. That help enabled me to go to college. Without that, it never would have happened. Had they not been middle-classed, I might have had to go to work at McDonald's to help them, but I didn't. Even though they didn't give me money or pay off my student loans afterward, they gave me the access to it and therefore, an access to the better life I would have had. I had third party help to get to where I am today and am not ashamed.

Most people have had help or received a gift. No need to feel superior because you didn't.

My parents brought me into this world. They raised me to be a responsible adult. I had a roof above my head and food on the table growing up. They showed love to me and I am thankful for that and love them for it. Yes i financed my own education. The problem with some kids today is that they are a bit lazy to work a little hard at things and some parents give into their laziness instead of teaching them to be responsible

Old 06-02-2015, 01:26 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Something awful must have happened, that you are unable/unwilling to allow others to share in your life/life events, and that you are unable/unwilling to allow others to do something nice for you.

I feel sorry for you.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not so much about succeeding without third-party help, it's about accepting a gift in order to contribute to the celebration of the union of a couple and of joining two families together. There's no need to be territorial about everything.
Well yes there are families joining together but there are people who want to succeed on something without third party help and I take my hat off to those people😀

Old 06-02-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Something awful must have happened, that you are unable/unwilling to allow others to share in your life/life events, and that you are unable/unwilling to allow others to do something nice for you.

I feel sorry for you.
Not true. I got married and my in laws and my wife respected the decision my wife and I made to pay for our own wedding. And I had a great childhood . My wife loves me for that and her parents were able to pay for our wedding.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:30 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick roll n fly View Post
Not true. I got married and my in laws and my wife respected the decision my wife and I made to pay for our own wedding. And I had a great childhood . My wife loves me for that and her parents were able to pay for our wedding.
So did they pay for your wedding or not?

Old 06-02-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So did they pay for your wedding or not?
No my wife and I paid for our own wedding and we are both happy that we did

Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 PM

465 posts, read 613,638 times
When I got engaged my father told me he had set aside x money and divided by 3 (3 sisters) is how much he will pay for our wedding and we could spend it how we want and anything above would be up to me and the groom. It was more than I ever expected. I never even thought that my dad would pay for our weddings. My mom was fun wedding planning. You would never know I spent less than my sisters. My mom and I know how to budget and got along. My husband stayed out of the planning he didn't care. His job was honeymoon and to not forget the rings. My brother in laws had gotten into arguments with my mom during their planning. That's when my husband quickly became the favorite son in law. lol

Old 06-02-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiesu View Post
When I got engaged my father told me he had set aside x money and divided by 3 (3 sisters) is how much he will pay for our wedding and we could spend it how we want and anything above would be up to me and the groom. It was more than I ever expected. I never even thought that my dad would pay for our weddings. My mom was fun wedding planning. You would never know I spent less than my sisters. My mom and I know how to budget and got along. My husband stayed out of the planning he didn't care. His job was honeymoon and to not forget the rings. My brother in laws had gotten into arguments with my mom during their planning. That's when my husband quickly became the favorite son in law. lol
Powell your brothers in laws gave their opinions about how they wanted the wedding. And it. Looks like your husband shut up and took the money. People have minds of their own and sometimes want to state their opinions and they. Are entitled to it

Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 PM

Guys should really think about if they truly want for their future in laws to pay for the wedding because sometimes it could get messy. Men are supposed to be the breadwinner and head of the household and letting the future in laws pay for the wedding could make the in laws control your life. Remember the wife is taking your last name , not the other way around. That shows that the man will let the in laws run his,life.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick roll n fly View Post
Well I am trying to say is that sure, the parents put money away but things like halls and wedding decorations have their price. Maybe the bride want to upgrade something that is more expensive and they parents did give enough and the upgrade will look nice. That is why if the bride saved up her own money she can do what she wants and the groom should also. Plus as I mentioned in my original post it teaches the couple responsibility of saving for a future. If the couple is adult enough to get married they should be responsible so their own costs. What happens in the future when they have other expenses? Are they going to be running to their parents to bail them our? Sometimes it isn't good for having free rides. You don't learn responsibility that way and some guys and I know I would feel bad of taking money from someone that really isn't my blood relatives. I am taking from the grooms standpoint. They are your in laws not your blood relatives and it is sometimes surprising that guys take advantage of free rides
Wow. For starters, if parents give X amount to their children for the wedding, the couple can still have saved and contribute their own money for the upgrade.

I have no idea how you got from parents OFFERING money for their child's wedding to the couple later on running to mom and dad for financial support.

The majority of this thread has been about parents giving the money freely, not about couples asking for or demanding money, it's a gift from the parent to the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings