Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:14 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

This was the most appropriate heading I could find on the topic of modern weddings.

The bride being accompanied by both parents down the aisle... Is that a thing now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 03:04 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This was the most appropriate heading I could find on the topic of modern weddings.

The bride being accompanied by both parents down the aisle... Is that a thing now?
Yes. I think it's quite nice.

When my nephew married, he walked his mother down the aisle, gave her a kiss, and after she sat, he walked up to the altar.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:04 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
My sister had both our parents walk her down...30 years ago.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:

When my son was married about four years ago his father and I walked him down the aisle, and both of the bride's parents walked her down the aisle.

And, the wedding couple weren't "young kids", they were in the 30s (one of them late 30s).

Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:

I've seen it. I've seen both dad and step dad. I've seen mom only when dad was deceased. I've seen older brother.

Mom and dad both raised her, so why not?

Old 08-20-2015, 06:05 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
I have seen it in cases where they were raised mostly by their mom, but had redeveloped a relationship with their dad in adulthood and didn't want to compromise that either.... but wanted to include mom, too.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:04 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I crashed my cousins wedding this way. I'm a little "out of the loop" with that side of the family, no bad blood but the male cousins and uncles were always closer to each other than with me. When my brother bowed out at the last minute my parents asked me if I wanted to go with them instead. It was a HUGE expensive blowout type of wedding, fireworks and everything, and you know I didn't want that meal to go to waste either! I had a blast and everyone was happy to see me and I really bonded with an aunt I hadn't seen in many years. I joked that I was a pinch hitter and a stand in for my brother, nobody gave a hoot. I actually have no clue what the bride thought, I'd never met her before and have never seen her sense, but I'm pretty sure she had other things on her mind.

My opinion of the OP is that nobody should involve the bride or groom. 3 people were invited (budgeted for) and it's a family member, so what the heck? No time like a wedding to meet another relative and if nothing else the bride will learn early that the new family is going to be more important than this nonsense.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:43 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:

Both parents walked me down 25 years ago.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:24 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
I can only add that when my (now) wife and I were working on our invites, it was difficult figuring out an equitable way to deal overall with adults living at home w/ parents.

Does the fact that someone lives under the same roof trump whatever relationship one might have with that person? etc.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:14 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I strongly disagree!
The couple is allowed to have the wedding THEY want.
If that means small, then so be it, whether money is tight or not.

My daughter had a wonderful small wedding, where everyone invited had a strong connection to either the bride or the groom. You could feel the love in the room!
Yes, it could have been larger and more expensive. And yes, people were left out. But there are always people left out... no one could possibly invite everyone they know!
This was how my daughter's wedding was. The venue had an 85 person limit, and they invited around 70 people, I think there were 55-60 there. Son-in-law's family is small, as is mine. Hubby has a lot of cousins! They set their guidelines based on the following:

1. Immediate family: grandparents, aunts, uncles, 1st cousins (and their spouses/partners. They extended a +1 to the cousins that didn't have an SO.)

2. Family friends like Godparents, parents' best friends, etc.

3. Nobody under 18, except for groom's 14 year-old cousin and my niece's (MOH) 16-month-old son.

4. Bride's & Groom's friends, as long as both of them had met the friends and was also friends with them.

They stuck to it! There were some hurt feelings, but most people understand that you can't invite everyone. When I got married 30 years ago, everyone I knew got married in the church and had cake/punch in the church fellowship hall!

Small weddings on a tight budget are very sweet. No reason to go into debt just to please everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings