Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:30 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,277,400 times

Advertisements

My son is getting married to a very nice woman and I am very happy for him. They want a nice small wedding rather than a lot of guests.

The bride sent an invitation to my sister who is the aunt of my son. The invitation is for three persons (Mr and Mrs Joe Blow" plus the son who still lives at home). However, the son will not attend the wedding.

My sister has an older daughter that lives far away in another state. This daughter did not make the cut to receive an invitation. As I sad the number of spaces is tight.

My sister wrote me an email telling me that she hoped her daughter could take the place of her son. That is still three invitations for the wedding regarding her household.

I called my son to ask him about replacing the son for the daughter and he replied that the bride does not want my sister's daughter in the wedding. They stated that they did not have room and that the wedding was getting very expensive.

I don't care about how a bride plans her wedding, but I feel bad for my sister because she assumes that the daughter can come to the wedding instead of the son. This will be huge deal for my sister because she does not get to see her daughter that often because they live 1500 miles apart.

Since the day my son got engaged I have offered to pay for at least half of the wedding expenses and the bride always declined my offer.

What is going on? I do not gave a clue! Any brides out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:34 AM

22,292 posts, read 47,230,980 times
The son was invited because he still lives at home. The daughter does not live at home.
You just do not substitute guests of your choosing when invited to someone's wedding.

If you feel bad for your sister, send her a ticket to visit her daughter.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The son was invited because he still lives at home. The daughter does not live at home.
You just do not substitute guests of your choosing when invited to someone's wedding.

If you feel bad for your sister, send her a ticket to visit her daughter.
You are correct! But, in the eyes of my sister this maneuver seems normal.

My sister is very well off and would be offended if i sent her money.

Should they disinvite my sister?

Old 06-01-2015, 11:48 AM

Nope. No need to rescind the invitation.
It is up to the invitee to decide if they will attend.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Nope. No need to rescind the invitation.
It is up to the invitee to decide if they will attend.
But, my sister did not get any feedback from them.

Through my son I know how the bride feels about this, but sister does not. Should I informed my sister that they had only intended to invite the son and not the daughter. The age discrepancy between the kids is two years, but the daughter does not live at home anymore.

I was looking forward to see my sister at the wedding. I do not get all the politics of weddings, so I am baffled.

I have not said anything to my son and the bride because their wedding is not my business. I hate to see my sister in the dark not knowing that her daughter is not welcomed. I don't want to be the one to tell her.

Do you have any other suggestions.

Why did they refuse monetary help? They are not rich! Do they think I could control their wedding? This is puzzling!

Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Should I informed my sister that they had only intended to invite the son and not the daughter.
The bride and groom already did that.
The son's name was on the invitation, right? And the daughter's name was not, right?

Since you sister does not understand that only those invited should attend, I guess you will have to explain it to her!

Old 06-01-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Since the day my son got engaged I have offered to pay for at least half of the wedding expenses and the bride always declined my offer.
In my area, the groom's family pays for the rehearsal dinner. Are you doing that?

Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The bride and groom already did that.
The son's name was on the invitation, right? And the daughter's name was not, right?

Since you sister does not understand that only those invited should attend, I guess you will have to explain it to her!
You are correct.

I am a conflict avoider so I will not say anything.

However, I remain baffled by wedding politics.

But, I have been told that some brides go mad planning weddings.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:34 PM

11,756 posts, read 11,954,025 times
Did something happen between the bride and your niece that she said she doesn't want her there?

Old 06-01-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Did something happen between the bride and your niece that she said she doesn't want her there?
The bride has never met my niece.

However, the bride comes from a very conservative family and my niece is quite liberal. I guess they could see that through social media such as Face Book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings