Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:01 AM

110 posts, read 123,583 times

Advertisements

How do you write a speech as a maid of honor who hates the groom?Best friends wedding is in 2 weeks and dont even know where to start with the speech ...before i'm strongly judged theres a reason I dislike the groom... ..lets just say I hate coniving sneaky people who use people to their advantage.... Nonetheless, it's her life and who she "loves"....anywho,does anyone have any pointers or ideas to generally create a speech as a maid of honor who dislikes the groom without making it obvious ?Or has anyone been and a similar situation like this?how did ya wing it?...I've googled maid of honor speech templates but they are way too cheesy for how I want to come across....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:15 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
I've always thought those little speeches by the Groom and Maid of Honor were lame. They always try to be funny and seldom come across that way.

I would just focus my speech on your friendship with the Bride and just touch on their marriage and how you think it will surely be the most wonderful marriage in the history of the world. Maybe start off by saying that since you really know the Bride better you would like to tell people a little about her, then end up by just saying you know how much she loves him and how happy they are going to be together.

I know it's tough to say things you don't believe, but your speech is a very small part of the whole affair, so just make it simple and more about your friendship with the Bride.

Don

Old 07-08-2015, 05:22 AM

Lol I totally agree at the lame part..thank you for giving me a great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've always thought those little speeches by the Groom and Maid of Honor were lame. They always try to be funny and seldom come across that way.

I would just focus my speech on your friendship with the Bride and just touch on their marriage and how you think it will surely be the most wonderful marriage in the history of the world. Maybe start off by saying that since you really know the Bride better you would like to tell people a little about her, then end up by just saying you know how much she loves him and how happy they are going to be together.

I know it's tough to say things you don't believe, but your speech is a very small part of the whole affair, so just make it simple and more about your friendship with the Bride.

Don

Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 AM

Yeah, let the Best Man say things about the Groom. If you say you want to talk about how long you and the Bride have been friends and how close you are, people won't think it is odd that you gloss over him.

Every wedding I have been to you can see the pain of the faces of people in attendance who have to listen to some of the dumb speeches that are made. Especially the ones that make fun of the Bride and Groom !

Don

Old 07-08-2015, 02:24 PM

Oh yeah didnt even think.of that i"ll def chuck it up to the best man . ..oh tell me about it the yawns and the facial expressions say it all...but how rude is that to make fun of the bride and groom wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, let the Best Man say things about the Groom. If you say you want to talk about how long you and the Bride have been friends and how close you are, people won't think it is odd that you gloss over him.

Every wedding I have been to you can see the pain of the faces of people in attendance who have to listen to some of the dumb speeches that are made. Especially the ones that make fun of the Bride and Groom !

Don

Old 07-08-2015, 09:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjills View Post
How do you write a speech as a maid of honor who hates the groom?
Does the bride know you hate the groom? Just curious as to why you accepted the role of MOH, if you don't believe it would be a good marriage?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:31 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjills View Post
Oh yeah didnt even think.of that i"ll def chuck it up to the best man . ..oh tell me about it the yawns and the facial expressions say it all...but how rude is that to make fun of the bride and groom wow!
It's not making fun of the bride and groom -- they are trying to be funny, but funny is hard to pull off and a lot of times goes very badly. Heartfelt is SO much easier, and people appreciate it more.

So talk about when and how you met, share a cutesy memory, talk a little bit more about your friendship and then toast the happy couple.

So -- like this:

I've known Carol for 15 years, since we shared a juice box in dance class at Mrs. Greens. En Pointe girls En pointe! We've shared a lot more -- secrets, bad haircuts, fun at Spring Break... and now -- she's allowed me to share in this very special day. The beginning of her life together with Roger. The man she loves. Let's raise a glass and toast to the happy couple!

And done.

It's short -- people really don't want a huge speech...you don't have to say anything about him at all, and no one will know you hate his guts (and this is NOT the place to do that) and you will look good.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:21 AM

^^^^^ Perfect speech ! For some reason, a lot of Best Men and Maids of Honor think they are doing a stand up routine, and that is best left to professional comedians. The best speeches just talk about what a wonderful person the Bride and/or Groom are, and how you wish them the best in their new marriage............then toast and sit down.

I was at one wedding where the BM got sloshed and thought it would be cool to say a lot of "funny" but sarcastic things about the Groom. Let's just say it was not a pleasant experience !

Don

Old 07-09-2015, 05:54 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
The most memorable one I've seen is one where the maid of honor saved a piece of paper where the bride wrote on it, "Mrs. Reagan Timberlake." and she had saved it through all the years and gave it to her new husband, who was not Justin Timberlake, and told him to make sure he took care of her and made her happy bc JT might be waiting. LOL!

Old 07-09-2015, 12:45 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
In a lot of ways I think people have forgotten it's a wedding, not theatre. These epic things on tv with circus themes and jugglers and clowns... really?

Yes -- it's the bride's (and groom's) day, but you are being feted and not the hosts of the day, who have to consider the guests, too. If you are the hosts, you have to think of the guests, too. I once had a good friend who said she wanted to rent a large boat and take us all out on the delta for the ceremony and reception, where they could party all night till morning where they would serve breakfast, dock and we could go home.

I said -- without thinking -- that's not a wedding, that's a hostage drama. ( I'm not usually just so blunt with people) She was stunned I didn't like that idea. I explained, I'm older than she was, and I reach a point where I am DONE with this party stuff, and I have to go. I have pets to tend to at home. Think of the older people -- they will be exhausted, they will have to pack medications... this won't be fun for them...

So she posed this scenario to a lot of people. The younger ones all liked it, her parents hit the roof...and most of the older people in the mix said -- if that's what she wanted she should do it.... but don't expect them there.

She had a nice wedding in a church, and a gorgeous reception at a nice hotel ball room -- spent loads of money, and everyone had a wonderful time and the young ones partied with the bridal couple all night long and people left when they were done.

Which by the way was considered the height of rudeness when I got married 32 years ago today. NO ONE left before the newly married couple, but the newly married couple were also anxious to get to the honeymoon, so they didn't stay and party. The party continued after the couple left...

Things change. We were married at 2 and by 5, we were on the road to Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings