Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 03:09 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times

Advertisements

being alive for many many decades, we have all gone through hard times. whether it be in middle school when you're trying to fit in, high school when trying to get good grades to get into college, finding a job upon graduating, all the immature relationships and heartbreaks in between, but i must say, having a wedding is definitely in my list, in my entire life, top 3 worst times of my life

the stress, timing, money, pressure, stress, planning, more time, and it's all done for everyone else (friends and family) and never for myself. i'm not a type of person that gets depressed and gets suicidal thoughts like some people out there you see in the news, but if i ever did, i would contemplate suicide instead of having a wedding just cause of how stupid i think it is and how much i hate it

if you really want to "celebrate" my relationship and union with my significant other, just paypal me a gift and take me out for a drink or 2 is enough or buy me a nice $100 steak dinner.

am i the only one that feels this way?

disclaimer - i am posting this at a wedding lol

Last edited by unknown00; 09-19-2015 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:27 PM

11,796 posts, read 12,030,796 times
I've been married twice and neither wedding day was stressful or required much planning. They were both small weddings, everything was exactly what was wanted, boundaries were firmly in place and a good time was had by all. If it's that bad, you're doing it wrong.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:21 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
being alive for many many decades, we have all gone through hard times. whether it be in middle school when you're trying to fit in, high school when trying to get good grades to get into college, finding a job upon graduating, all the immature relationships and heartbreaks in between, but i must say, having a wedding is definitely in my list, in my entire life, top 3 worst times of my life

the stress, timing, money, pressure, stress, planning, more time, and it's all done for everyone else (friends and family) and never for myself. i'm not a type of person that gets depressed and gets suicidal thoughts like some people out there you see in the news, but if i ever did, i would contemplate suicide instead of having a wedding just cause of how stupid i think it is and how much i hate it

if you really want to "celebrate" my relationship and union with my significant other, just paypal me a gift and take me out for a drink or 2 is enough or buy me a nice $100 steak dinner.

am i the only one that feels this way?

disclaimer - i am posting this at a wedding lol
If you don't want a wedding, why in the world have one? Last I checked, there was no requirement to have one. Just say it's not for you and move on. I've never known anyone to express such angst over something they don't need to do.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:27 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If you don't want a wedding, why in the world have one? Last I checked, there was no requirement to have one. Just say it's not for you and move on. I've never known anyone to express such angst over something they don't need to do.
The pressure, externally, to be the norm and have one

Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
No -- that's ridiculous. If you don't want to do that stuff DON'T.

Here's what you do. You both decide get married and keep your mouths SHUT about it -- no engagement ring, no announcements.... and then go get married at City Hall. You can get an engagement ring -- you don't wear it. Or maybe your wedding ring is a band of diamonds.

That way, no one has "expectations" and questions and all that rigamarole of explaining it over and over, you come back from a weekend or vacation married and people are happy for you and it's all good.

Might be a little harder if your paper lists and people read the "vital statistics" of marriage licenses issues... but who reads the newspaper anymore?

Old 09-19-2015, 08:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
You are an adult and still worried about peer pressure? I'm not sure you are mature enough to get married; regardless if you wanted to or not.

Be your own person; do what you want.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:15 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Quote:
In that case, it isn't the hypothetical wedding that's the problem. It's your concern with external pressure or what others think. It's not so hard to choose to marry in a way that you and your partner prefer.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:25 PM

1,273 posts, read 991,213 times
Mine was great.
The only thing that stressed me out was my brides maids. They picked out a dress, then a month before my wedding they came to me and said they couldn't afford it ($150). I understood but was irritated they didn't tell me sooner. My mom bought them all matching tops and told them to wear their own same color skirts.

Got complaints they didn't like the tops, then one of my future sister in laws forgets her skirt and we had to borrow one the day before.

But other than that the wedding and planning were easy breezy. I literally didn't care about my colors, venue, whatever. My dress was off the rack, my venue was free in the church gym, my mom arranged the food and flowers ( silk orchids ), and my husband took care of the music and picked our colors (lavender, cream, and royal purple).

I do wish I had asked a different person to play the music when we walked up and down the aisle and my photographer forgot to take a picture of my full train and veil (beautiful chiffon and lace) but they were both friends and provided their services free, so I got what I didn't pay for, lol.

10 years married and counting. The wedding day is a blink in the eternity of life together, people who stress about weddings lack perspective, and family members who try to make weddings stressful and complicated are self centered jerks.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
No

Old 09-21-2015, 07:51 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
If you don't have a wedding, I will probably not buy you a $100 steak dinner or put money into your paypal account.

I might send a small gift that I usually send to people if I'm not invited to their wedding but still generally want to celebrate their life moments (which has never been more than $20 and has never been cash).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings