Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 04:39 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post

True. I might add my diamond ring isn't big or flashy, it's quite simple and plain, like me. But he did spend more than my first husband -$150.00, which I thought was sweet.
That IS sweet. The thought of a less well-off but earnest, in love guy scraping together what he can to present his lady with a ring just because he loves her...

Or maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, LOL.

That would melt my knees right out from under me, I'll say that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 05:29 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That IS sweet. The thought of a less well-off but earnest, in love guy scraping together what he can to present his lady with a ring just because he loves her...

Or maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, LOL.

That would melt my knees right out from under me, I'll say that much.
That is why I totally melt when my girl does those things for me as it is not common for women. Someone studying my native language to surprise me with a few lines later and understand more about my country and culture and now see them able to have conversations in the language, oh man. When we were in college she saved some of her money from her part time job to take me to my favorite band’s concert with the best seats in the house. To have her fly over to the country where I was working at the moment and surprise me and fly me back to her’s. The list goes on and on. Yes, there are some women out there who also put some effort to romance their man and might even scrape together what they can to get their man something he will like (can be cheap but big in sentimental value or can be costly too if that’s the case) .

Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
That is why I totally melt when my girl does those things for me as it is not common for women. Someone studying my native language to surprise me with a few lines later and understand more about my country and culture and now see them able to have conversations in the language, oh man. When we were in college she saved some of her money from her part time job to take me to my favorite band’s concert with the best seats in the house. To have her fly over to the country where I was working at the moment and surprise me and fly me back to her’s. The list goes on and on. Yes, there are some women out there who also put some effort to romance their man and might even scrape together what they can to get their man something he will like (can be cheap but big in sentimental value or can be costly too if that’s the case) .
It may be the girls you're picking.

Most women I know love to do little things for their man.

It could be the company we choose to keep (other than your girlfriend specifically, but you're pointing her out as rare?) or just coincidence?

Second underlining above: Absolutely! Agree.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,874,828 times
Quote:
That's exactly it!!! Sounds like you're a lucky guy and she's a lucky girl! Good for you both

Old 01-06-2016, 05:35 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,007,993 times
Quote:
That is why I totally melt when my girl does those things for me as it is not common for women.
It's probably more common than you might think (or are willing to admit).

Which, of course, doesn't take anything away from your relationship.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:37 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It may be the girls you're picking.

Most women I know love to do little things for their man.

It could be the company we choose to keep or just coincidence?

Second underlining above: Absolutely! Agree.
I think so . Just like anything, we all get to meet people who will click with right away and then those who we just don't see ourselves in anything else than just a friendship.

It might be thought that men are the ones that should pursue, romance, take initiative, spend big, etc. And I agree somewhat. I enjoy doing those things but I have also been lucky to be with girls who ALSO enjoy doing those things for me which may not be too common. It has worked fine so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
That's exactly it!!! Sounds like you're a lucky guy and she's a lucky girl! Good for you both
Thank you Skyegirl! We're both happy . Friends for two years, in a relationship for two years after that, and now married for two years. We still do those gestures for each other. I am about to mail her today a hand-written love letter home. Sounds silly to send it home but whatever keeps things fun .

Old 01-06-2016, 05:43 PM

930 posts, read 700,102 times
Quote:
This is what a healthy relationship looks like for most people in one. When it's completely one sided, that's when people start resenting each other.

Congrats on finding a good woman! My GF treats me pretty well, and it's reciprocated.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times
We didn't do engagement rings OR wedding rings. That money went to the down-payment, a much better use of money. But you can get cheap rings for $10 each if you want the world to know you're married.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:50 PM

912 posts, read 914,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree87 View Post
Hi,

As a woman, I was always wondering: What do men really think about the whole engagement ring tradition? I've been reading on a female wedding/engagement board for a while and it seems like that most women want their man to spend thousands of dollars on an engagement ring. On top of that, there are several who complain that she doesn't like the ring and they need to change it for another one, or she wants to pick one herself. And, of course, it HAS to be a diamond (because DeBeers says you have to have a diamond *eyeroll*).

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not from the US, but I find this whole thing ridiculous and I wonder how many guys are actually out there who find this perfectly normal. If I was a man, I would NEVER spend thousands of Dollars on a ring. If she wants a ring fine, why not, but for sure not something that expensive. If she wants something more expensive, why doesn't she buy it herself? I'm not judging anyone who is very much into jewelry and therefore wants a more expensive piece, but why not buy it yourself then? I could name at least a hundred things I'd rather spend 5000 bucks on than a ring. And I would never expect a man to buy me an expensive ring. If he wants to spend a couple of thousand bucks on me, I'd tell him invest that in our honeymoon, other trips or use it as a downpayment for an apartment or so.

Men, I'd love to hear your opinion on this. What do you think about expensive engagement ring? Did you get one for your wife? Will you get one for your future wife? Will you get one only because SHE wants it or what's the reasoning behind this?

Thanks!
My ex-hb wanted a large rock on my hand, he said, because he wanted to impress other people (he made a ton of money, so it was about his image) and to let everyone know I was taken. That should have been the first red flag that he wasn't the right guy.

In the future, I want a plain, thin band (moreso to pass down to my children) and nothing more. Rocks are work and get in the way of life. Mine scratched the baby when I was changing his diaper. I didn't wear it the rest of the marriage.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,094 times
My engagement ring is beautiful. Three emerald cut diamonds in a platinum setting. But I didn't really pick it out; my husband and I went to a few jewelry shops together when we started to talk marriage, because he wanted to know what I like...I was going to be wearing the ring on my finger every day, so it was important to him that I loved it, style wise. I pointed out a bunch of different styles I liked. I never gave him a "requirement" for the size of diamond, money to spend, anything like that.

Often it is the MAN that chooses to spend a ton of money on the engagement ring. It's a way to show off, stake a "claim" on a woman ... another status symbol. Men know some will judge them on the size of the diamond they give their fiancee - good or bad - so many men I've known have taken it pretty seriously. Some not only pick out a beautiful, big diamond, they design a custom setting!

If I had to choose where the money went, I'd rather it went toward the ring - an asset that will generally keep its value - than the party, honestly. Weddings are ridiculously expensive if you decide to give people food & drink (catered, that is). Obviously you can get some food from Costco or make it yourself or whatever, but if you have a wedding at even a simple venue with average catering and limited bar, it is very easy for things to reach $10k-$20k. The next time I get married, I'm going to Vegas or City Hall. As for the people that want $30k engagement rings? That's better for a down payment on a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings