Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

A gift from the registry for the shower unless I know the bride REALLY well and a generous check for a wedding gift. I'm from the Midwest, and I've never known a monetary wedding gift to be considered tacky. For a shower, it would be weird.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-21-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:34 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
My friend is registered at two places.
She is sweet as pie.
Most of the stuff is under 75 dollars.
Some of my friends do not even buy a gift.
Jesus I would hope so. I think it's outrageous to expect people to spend even $50 on shower gifts. Maybe if you are their sister or mom, but criminey - that's just ridiculous. To me, showers have always been for small inexpensive things. I don't get all this gimme gimme gimme stuff these days. I guess that is why I stopped going to showers years ago. I have a huge family, and the money is just crazy.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:20 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Jesus I would hope so. I think it's outrageous to expect people to spend even $50 on shower gifts. Maybe if you are their sister or mom, but criminey - that's just ridiculous. To me, showers have always been for small inexpensive things. I don't get all this gimme gimme gimme stuff these days. I guess that is why I stopped going to showers years ago. I have a huge family, and the money is just crazy.
To me, I think my friends are bit selfish.
They would spend over 40 bucks at clubs but they do not want to buy a gift .

Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez View Post

I got married 20 years ago, and when I did my Wedding Shower was a complete surprise....My Mother, best friend and sisters put it all together secretly, therefore, I did not register for any gifts and surprisingly enough, we got everything we needed and nothing we didn't (except two toasters....the ONLY double we recieved). Others have told me I was really lucky

I'm not at all saying it's wrong to register, I'm a firm believer of "to each their own", but my feelings on this matter are "Hey, if you are going to tell me what to buy you, then here's the cash.....go buy it yourself." A friend of mine just told me that giving cash as a gift at a wedding or baby shower is ignorant. I was shocked at this....who WOULDN'T want cash? My friend (married three years ago) carried on about how difficult it is for the bride and groom (or new parents) to choose everything they want and need and how time consuming it is for them to register for the gifts they want, and then went on to say that because a wedding/pregnancy is so stressful on the couple, the last thing they want to do after the wedding/birth is go shopping for all the stuff they'll need. HUH??

When I'm invited to an event that does not include a registry, I DO buy gift(s). I enjoy shopping for special gift(s) for people, I dedicate a lot of thought and reasoning behind what I purchase, and I try to find truly personal, meaningful stuff that the recipient will love (and 99% of the time I'm right )

I know this probably sounds horrible, but I also don't see the reasoning for making guests at these showers sit there and watch the recipient open up gifts that they, themselves picked out. What's the point?

Does anyone else feel as I do? Or is my friend right?
I disagree with you. There aren't really "shower" registries. There are wedding registries and baby registries. You can still choose what gift to give the couple. You want to buy them towels, but what color? You want to buy them dishes, but what pattern? You want to buy them a vase, but which one? The registry lets you know which one.

Cash may be fine for a wedding, but not for a shower. The point of a shower is to watch the bride open gifts, and ooh and aah over the patterns and colors she chose. Giving cash at a shower defeats the purpose and seems rather lazy. If you want to buy a personal gift, that is always an option. There is no rule that you must buy off the registry.

I registered for nice but economical stuff 15 years ago, and got pretty much all of it, and still use a lot of it. I attended a wedding around the same time where the couple chose really high end stuff. They didn't get much of it.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:09 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
To me, I think my friends are bit selfish.
They would spend over 40 bucks at clubs but they do not want to buy a gift .
I spent $67 on a lunch for my parents this weekend. What the hell does that have to do with shower gifts??

Old 06-24-2015, 01:20 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I spent $67 on a lunch for my parents this weekend. What the hell does that have to do with shower gifts??
They have money to buy gift but they don't want to and they still attend the shower.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:01 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Discovered a great use for a baby registry today. Good friends of ours, the daughter is pregnant and lives a 15 hour drive from home. She won't be home before the baby is born and likely not for a while after, so a registry gives friends and family from home a way to give baby gifts, particularly to order and have them delivered to the expectant parents.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A gift from the registry for the shower unless I know the bride REALLY well and a generous check for a wedding gift. I'm from the Midwest, and I've never known a monetary wedding gift to be considered tacky. For a shower, it would be weird.
Exactly....Gifting cash is pretty common in the Upper MidWest too...Folks register, but I think that is mostly for shower gifts. Couples showers are becoming more common.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:13 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
I find them useful. Usually, I know either the bride or groom better so I'd know what to get that person but not necessarily them as a couple. And most brides and grooms have been out on their own for awhile before getting married and already have a complete household full of stuff, so it's nice to see what they may need. I pretty much never get them towels though as I personally feel that's a lame gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I attended a wedding around the same time where the couple chose really high end stuff. They didn't get much of it.
A friend of mine had a baby several years ago and there was a high end stroller she really liked. She figured everyone would balk seeing something so expensive on her registry but her mother convinced her to add it. The look on her face when our bunco group went in together and got it for her was absolutely priceless. She hadn't been checking the registry and didn't know it had been purchased.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:06 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I like registries-takes the guessing out of buying.

What I don't like is when I see an xbox or something equally ridiculous on the list. I feel like that's just taking advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings