Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 01:07 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

I remain completely baffled by this. I know things change, but back when I got married, various people threw showers for me (4 total: an aunt on my side, an aunt on groom's side, ladies from my church, and my MOH held a small shower for about 10 friends). I had no input into any of these showers, nor would I have ever thought I should have. Even though I was the bride, I was an invited guest. I just showed up, no expectations, no telling the hostess how to throw my shower. And I was very grateful for each hostess and each guest.

Is it common these days for the bride (or any other family member) to be so involved and bossy to the person hosting a shower? Anyone who wants a shower done a certain way is quite free to host one herself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 02:26 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Tell the MIL she can have the $250 the wedding party was going to spend and you'll see her at the shower.

Throw your friend an amazing Bachelorette.

If anyone gives you flack, step down. If you're friend can't understand why then that's on her. You're not in the wrong in any way.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I remain completely baffled by this. I know things change, but back when I got married, various people threw showers for me (4 total: an aunt on my side, an aunt on groom's side, ladies from my church, and my MOH held a small shower for about 10 friends). I had no input into any of these showers, nor would I have ever thought I should have. Even though I was the bride, I was an invited guest. I just showed up, no expectations, no telling the hostess how to throw my shower. And I was very grateful for each hostess and each guest.

Is it common these days for the bride (or any other family member) to be so involved and bossy to the person hosting a shower? Anyone who wants a shower done a certain way is quite free to host one herself!
I was thinking the same thing. I was given two showers, but they were both surprises. I didn't dictate anything about them, I didn't know they were even planned.

And, I have to say, I never heard of the groom's mother being so involved in this type of stuff. My own MIL wasn't even invited to either of the showers. I think the understanding was that my husband's side of the family was free to hold their own if they were so inclined. The first shower was given by a friend of my mother's, and that had some of our relatives included. The second one was thrown by my bridesmaids, and it was for all of my friends.

If my DIL had a bridal shower, I wasn't invited to it. I did receive an invite (and attended) a lingerie shower the day before the wedding.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I also had a couple showers. One was more for friends, and one for family. My MIL was invited to one, I think, but had zero input on anything. I had something to do with the guest list, but I'm a considerate person, so tried to keep it small. I would have been really uncomfortable with a bunch of strangers there. How do you even attempt to open 100 gifts at a shower?

I honestly think if I were the OP, I'd ignore the MIL and throw a shower for the bride's girl friends.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post

I'm glad you said this, because I feel the same way. I just threw a baby shower/going away party for my boss & his wife as they are moving back home now that they are pregnant, and they told me when they could show up. That's all. Other than that, I planned everything and it went according to my budget, not theirs.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
OP Has this shower happened yet?? Updates?

Old 09-13-2016, 08:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP Has this shower happened yet??
No, it's a few months down the line I believe.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 PM

19 posts, read 14,957 times
Sorry it's been so long. We still have a few months until the shower happens. I hadn't logged on for a while because things had calmed down...except now we've started more thorough bachelorette party talk, and what do you know? We've had a date for going on 6 months now, and now all of a sudden, the SIL is trying to change it because she forgot she couldn't make it. I repeat, we've had a date for SIX MONTHS NOW. We tried to find another date that worked for everyone, and we couldn't do it, so we left it when it was. But that wasn't a good enough answer, so here I am, still dealing with backlash, now at the hands of the SIL (daughter of the woman I mentioned throughout this thread). I thought this would be so much fun to plan all of this, but honestly, I just can't wait for all of it to be over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP Has this shower happened yet?? Updates?

Old 02-01-2017, 06:53 PM

19 posts, read 14,957 times
Oh, also, I forget if I've added this yet or not, but 2 days after the whole blowup with the one vs. two shower thing, the SIL was added to the bridal party. My friend called me and told me she was going to do it because the MIL came to her and told her that the SIL had called her crying because she felt like she was being left out (even though she's been a major part of helping my friend plan the wedding, a heck of a lot more than I have been because we don't live close anymore). So my friend's response was to add her to the bridal party because that's what the MIL wanted. Seems to me more like the MIL wanted her own daughter on the inside to get all the planning details, so that even if I tried to keep her out of the loop, her daughter would let her know what was going on. And if I tried to plan with all the bridesmaids except the SIL? Then of course, I'd look like the jerk. I swear, this is a family of seasoned veterans in the way of pushing people around to get what they want.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedee25 View Post
Sorry it's been so long. We still have a few months until the shower happens. I hadn't logged on for a while because things had calmed down...except now we've started more thorough bachelorette party talk, and what do you know? We've had a date for going on 6 months now, and now all of a sudden, the SIL is trying to change it because she forgot she couldn't make it. I repeat, we've had a date for SIX MONTHS NOW. We tried to find another date that worked for everyone, and we couldn't do it, so we left it when it was. But that wasn't a good enough answer, so here I am, still dealing with backlash, now at the hands of the SIL (daughter of the woman I mentioned throughout this thread). I thought this would be so much fun to plan all of this, but honestly, I just can't wait for all of it to be over.
Thanks for the update!!

Holy Cr-p...

No, change nothing. Let these ungrateful people throw their own da-m shower. In fact that would be my reply. "Well, sorry that you can't make it.... Make sure you invite me to the shower you throw".

I would not have been as patient as you. I would literally have uninvited that MIL to be day one of her interference. I would have given the shower for the brides friends only.

Let the MIL give the showers for the families of both parties. It is not too late for you to totally change your course....six months away is plenty of time for them to plan/take over.

I cannot believe the bride isn't aware of all this turmoil....or is she? If she is, How does she feel about this?

ETA....Read your second update. I would have discussed the SIL issue right then with the bride, and suggested to the bride that she have the SIL take over the whole shower thing...since you live so far away.

You can still plan a dinner out for your bride friend and your long time friends to get together, which does not need to include the SIL.

I would feel totally guilty for putting my friend through this if I were the bride. These people are going to make her life hell going forward...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings