Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:07 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I had 3 kids when I remarried.

Sooo...why should we not have had a nice ceremony?
I think what is happening is the MIL offered at one time. Then one kid no wedding. Second kid no wedding. Now they want a wedding.

No one said you can't have a nice wedding after there are children. If you had 3 children without being married and then wanted one it seems like a gift grab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:27 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No one said you can't have a nice wedding after there are children. If you had 3 children without being married and then wanted one it seems like a gift grab.
So its ok to have a wedding when you have two kids, but not once the third comes around?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
It is not for any of you to decide if the OP deserves a wedding or not, and not for you to decide if his mil should help pay. She said she would help. Now she's not. That's the point. What a bunch of judgmental posters!

Old 09-28-2016, 02:57 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So its ok to have a wedding when you have two kids, but not once the third comes around?
How did you get that out of my post?

When you start a family, have whatever number of kids, and years later decide to have a wedding it looks like a gift grab.

A second wedding where one or both have children is different and should be celebrated.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
How did you get that out of my post?

When you start a family, have whatever number of kids, and years later decide to have a wedding it looks like a gift grab.

A second wedding where one or both have children is different and should be celebrated.
I disagree. If they haven't had one wedding yet, how is it more of a gift grab than someone who already got married, already collected gifts, and is having another wedding?

Old 09-28-2016, 07:03 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,942 times
this is so sad. My mother always told me my inlaws raised my husband, I love him, so they did something right. So much bickering. Filing a law suit because MIL couldn't see kids one time because you were busy. There is much, much more to this entire story.

As far as the gift, my son got married last weekend. Both sets of parents received gifts from the bride and groom. They just wanted to say thank you for being parents. My daughter and SIL did the same thing a few years ago. All of their friends have done the same. I'm not sure where the tradition came from, probably the same person that invited all the holidays that we buy cards for. LOL

Your MIL isn't going to change, but for the sake of you wife and children don't make a big deal out of it. It's a big day, don't ruin it. (by the way- I didn't get flowers at the wedding last week. Neither did the mother of the bride or grandmothers.We all flew there, we couldn't take the flowers home. It was no big deal and no one cared. It saved money as well).

Old 09-28-2016, 09:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
this is so sad. My mother always told me my inlaws raised my husband, I love him, so they did something right. So much bickering. Filing a law suit because MIL couldn't see kids one time because you were busy. There is much, much more to this entire story.

As far as the gift, my son got married last weekend. Both sets of parents received gifts from the bride and groom. They just wanted to say thank you for being parents. My daughter and SIL did the same thing a few years ago. All of their friends have done the same. I'm not sure where the tradition came from, probably the same person that invited all the holidays that we buy cards for. LOL

Your MIL isn't going to change, but for the sake of you wife and children don't make a big deal out of it. It's a big day, don't ruin it. (by the way- I didn't get flowers at the wedding last week. Neither did the mother of the bride or grandmothers.We all flew there, we couldn't take the flowers home. It was no big deal and no one cared. It saved money as well).
Just out of curiosity, what part of the country are you from, where this tradition is popular? I'm 64 years old and have attended dozens of weddings and have never heard of it. Most of the other posters have never heard of this tradition either.

Of course, it may be a very common tradition were you live and where the OP and his MIL live. Actually, I think that it is a nice tradition.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what part of the country are you from, where this tradition is popular? I'm 64 years old and have attended dozens of weddings and have never heard of it. Most of the other posters have never heard of this tradition either.
When my sister got married, she gave my parents a present at brunch the day after the wedding. It was not something that any of the guests knew about, since the brunch was just parents and siblings. I don't see it as any different then the gifts the bride and groom give the wedding party. Its not something I've ever seen done publicly, so it doesn't involve the other wedding guests.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:27 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
When my sister got married, she gave my parents a present at brunch the day after the wedding. It was not something that any of the guests knew about, since the brunch was just parents and siblings. I don't see it as any different then the gifts the bride and groom give the wedding party. Its not something I've ever seen done publicly, so it doesn't involve the other wedding guests.
That could be it. Even though I have also attended many rehearsal dinners & morning after breakfasts and that type of thing, it could be something that the bride or groom just give the parents in private and don't even mention to anyone. So maybe it has been going on and I just don't realize it.

Frankly, I think that it is a nice idea.

I can think of something similar. The night before our son left for college he brought home a dozen red roses and a beautiful card for his father and me. He wrote a beautiful letter about how much he loved us and thanked us for all of our hard work in raising him to be the man that he was becoming. It was very touching. But, except for his younger sister, who also received roses and a personal letter & card from him, I don't think that we ever told anyone about it. So, maybe every teenager who is going off to college does something similar for their parents & siblings and I just don't know about it because it is sort of private (but, I rather doubt it).

Old 09-29-2016, 07:39 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
I think what is happening is the MIL offered at one time. Then one kid no wedding. Second kid no wedding. Now they want a wedding.

We specified "no gifts" when we got married and we had a VERY small wedding for immediate family (our parents/grandparents/kids) only.

We also paid for the entire thing ourselves. That said, if one of our parents had offered to pay and blew things off the whole time we were planning, I would've been as annoyed as the OP and I would not have wanted to give some gift to the person that made my planning more stressful by going back on a promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings