Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:53 AM

83 posts, read 86,820 times

Advertisements

I would have to say the one where a female friend who I had visions of dating and marrying someday, married someone else. Her husband is a better person than I am, on many different levels. He's taller, smarter, better looking, talented, larger build, has a bit of facial hair, and more successful in life than I am. I can see why she went for him, rather than a loser like me. In fact, I can't believe my current girlfriend of 9 months is still with me. I have no idea what she sees in me, or if she's just dating me until she finds someone else better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:53 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Or there is a backup plan where the ceremony/reception can be quickly moved indoors if necessary. I've been in a beautiful wedding in July in the NYC area where the ceremony was outdoors. The ceremony was beautiful with views of Hudson in the beautifully landscaped are of the reception hall. It did not rain but they had a room inside where the ceremony could be moved if necessary...
True. Now that you mention it, I believe this venue *DID* have an indoor alternative space... but the groom was insistent that they go through with the outdoor wedding because they'd paid all that money for this location and its outdoor appeal, blah blah. In retrospect I think he should have had to stand in the huddled mass with the rest of us.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 PM

179 posts, read 304,106 times
Mine may have actually been the worst! I am happily married and the wedding itself wasn't bad per se, but needless to say I am glad it was over.

Spent too much time on photographs so we missed a lot of our meal and appetizers (thankfully the bridal party got us some food while we were tied up), but the kicker was that we were very disappointed with the way a lot of the photos came out. Because we were so tied up, we missed saying hello to many guests (it was about 125 people) so to this day I have fear that I came off as being rude! But at least I hand wrote nice, personalized thank you cards.

The awkward moment was the whole bouquet/garter toss part. One girl caught the bouquet but her boyfriend was outside smoking weed, so he had no chance in in catching the garter. Some other guy caught it and because it wasn't her boyfriend, she cried up a storm and someone let her boyfriend put the bouqet on a bit later. Probably shouldn't have let them do a re-do, but I used that time to say hello to more people I missed...I felt horrible for the guy who caught the garter who wasn't the boyfriend though..He took it well though...

Old 04-23-2017, 05:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Mine may have actually been the worst! I am happily married and the wedding itself wasn't bad per se, but needless to say I am glad it was over.

Spent too much time on photographs so we missed a lot of our meal and appetizers (thankfully the bridal party got us some food while we were tied up), but the kicker was that we were very disappointed with the way a lot of the photos came out. Because we were so tied up, we missed saying hello to many guests (it was about 125 people) so to this day I have fear that I came off as being rude! But at least I hand wrote nice, personalized thank you cards.

The awkward moment was the whole bouquet/garter toss part. One girl caught the bouquet but her boyfriend was outside smoking weed, so he had no chance in in catching the garter. Some other guy caught it and because it wasn't her boyfriend, she cried up a storm and someone let her boyfriend put the bouqet on a bit later. Probably shouldn't have let them do a re-do, but I used that time to say hello to more people I missed...I felt horrible for the guy who caught the garter who wasn't the boyfriend though..He took it well though...
What? I have never once attended a wedding where a BF & GF both caught the garter & the bouquet. What in the world was that girl thinking that she started to cry about it.

Usually the fun is that the two make such an odd "couple". Like the wedding I attended where a 17 or 18 year old boy caught the garter and he had to put it on a 30 something year old woman in super, super sexy revealing short dress. Man was he ever embarrassed.

But, it is too bad that you missed so much of the wedding, especially the meal, by having pictures taken. Most couples try to get it done very fast so they miss very little of the reception and it certainly does not ever interfere with the meal. And, it is too bad that you were unhappy with the photographs after all that.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM

179 posts, read 304,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
What? I have never once attended a wedding where a BF & GF both caught the garter & the bouquet. What in the world was that girl thinking that she started to cry about it.

Usually the fun is that the two make such an odd "couple". Like the wedding I attended where a 17 or 18 year old boy caught the garter and he had to put it on a 30 something year old woman in super, super sexy revealing short dress. Man was he ever embarrassed.

But, it is too bad that you missed so much of the wedding, especially the meal, by having pictures taken. Most couples try to get it done very fast so they miss very little of the reception and it certainly does not ever interfere with the meal. And, it is too bad that you were unhappy with the photographs after all that.
Haha, fortunately I was able to get enough of my meal and some of the appetizers before hand and the bridal attendant I had was excellent and kept making sure I had a drink. But our package came with a lot of food so who knows what else I missed! The only major regret was my wife and I didn't eat our cake! Fortunately, the bakery we used had a promotion where if you snap a pic of the cake and come back a year later, they do the top layer for free, so there's that!

We had some really trashy people at our wedding that my MiL coerced us to include on our wedding despite my wife's adamant objections - I mean we were the ones paying for most of it anyway - but that's a whole 'nother story. That girl from the bouqet toss was one of trashiest though....the kicker is that no one called her out on it.

Most of the pics were good, but there were a few where the photographers should've instructed my wife to look down or up depending on the angle, because she was not happy at all.

Oh well, like I said, I'm kind of glad it's over haha

Old 04-25-2017, 06:30 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
The last wedding we attended was held on a bluff overlooking the ocean. The day was bright and sunny and warm... until we started getting closer to the beach, where it was dark and foggy and cold. As we were sitting there waiting for the ceremony to begin, the clouds of fog would roll by right in front of your face. The wind was blowing and everyone was just miserable.

So we waited for it to begin. And waited. And waited. Apparently there was some snafu with their "sound system." Everyone was seriously fighting off crankiness. We were FREEZING. We were shivering and huddling together. Everyone was wearing light summer clothing. Of course the poor bride had decided on a strapless gown.

They finally started the ceremony. It was very nice. And very short. So we all headed off for the reception. Then, again, minutes away from the beach, the day turned bright and sunny and warm again.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:10 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,285 times
Just different and unusual things:

I remember going to one wedding where the photographer wanted me to be part of the bouquet toss. I politely declined as I was engaged and had always avoided being part of the bouquet toss because I don't care for it.
The photographer wouldn't leave me alone, I had to hide in the ladies restroom to try and get away from him ! He stood outside the restroom loudly telling women walking in the restroom to bring me out for the bouquet toss ! What a nut ! I don't know what his problem was, I've never seen a more obnoxious photographer !

Many years ago I went to a friends wedding that was at the home of their close family friend. Before the wedding she wanted me to go to the bridal room to show me something. There were about a dozen vases with a dozen long stem red roses in each vase from her last boyfriend. She said guess who these are from, I already knew it was the last boyfriend that was so in love with her. She read the cards that were with each vase, it was so beautiful about how much he wants her to be happy and wishes her a wonderful life and will always love her.
I knew that she was the one for him, however, she broke it off with him. She married a different guy she didn't know for very long. They had a beautiful outdoor wedding but I've always remembered the boyfriend that sent her the vases with the long stem red roses on her wedding day that was so in love with her I'm sure still is.

Years ago a friend was getting married, right before the wedding the groom had cold feet. They got in to an argument the morning of the wedding and later a friend of his tells me that the groom was unsure right before the ceremony and said to him you don't have to go through with this wedding. Anyway, they got married only lasted a couple years. He got remarried soon after and the bride really wished that it worked out. Anyone that is unsure on the wedding day, don't go through with it.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
We had a great photographer at our wedding. We had a consultation with him before the wedding, and we discussed what pictures were a MUST. So, what was important to US, were some pictures of just my husband and I, family group shots, and bridal party shots. (I had a Matron of Honor, and my husband had a Best Man, that was it.) and then he walked around and got a lot of candid shots. We also had disposable candles on all the tables at the reception.

So...we didn't spend an exorbitant amount of time posing for pictures...and got to enjoy our reception mostly. I've got to say though...it all went too fast, and I would've loved to visit with all my guests longer than I was able.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:01 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
It was on Halloween.. A dark and stormy night. The ceremony was in a little run down chapel. It had maybe 15 rows and the pews could only fit three people on each side. During the quick ceremony the sound system suddenly pick up some conversation I think from some trucker Cb radio for a minute and they stopped the ceremony til that noise was stopped. The lady sitting next to my husband was saying to her spouse OMG that witch is drunk, referring to the bride. Found out later it was the grooms parents. He was a retired cornal. The couple getting married were about 35 or so and both had well paying jobs, I knew the groom fairly well but was afraid to really say anything. But I do know he told someone else it was both their second marriages so best to do something scarey on Halloween.
It will never be forgotten.

Oh the reception. The Chappel was on the south side of Fort Worth and the reception was on the north side of Dallas at a bar with a full blown costume party going on with the regular patrons. My husband got drug out to the dance floor and this on girls costume was a safe and said safe sex written on it. She encourage him to open the door... She had nothing on.

Just bizarre. I guess it was a very memorable wedding.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
A family member had his wedding at his parent's house, which is lake front. The ceremony and reception were supposed to be outside. Right before the ceremony, a tornado blew through. The present's table was blown over and presents went flying through the yard. The caterers were rushing to save the food, running it into the house. All the guests were running into the house. My son (who was 5) was shouting "this is the coolest disaster ever!"

The ceremony was delayed an hour. All the food was soggy because of the rain and the delay. The bride was heavily pregnant and not glowing in a good way.

The marriage lasted 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings