Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 07:31 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Thank you! I appreciate it. What kind of accessorizes would you suggest? I got heels for the actual wedding. I have tons of black flats as well that I could wear for the reception. I am not driving. I think we are going to Uber to the wedding because parking in a downtown area sucks.
Id go to a dress shop with the dress and ask for tips. A shawl of some type over the shoulders and maybe a wrap of fabric or some type of belting around the waist should be enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 07:33 AM

560 posts, read 452,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Id go to a dress shop with the dress and ask for tips. A shawl of some type over the shoulders and maybe a wrap of fabric or some type of belting around the waist should be enough.
Thanks! I do have a long scarf that I can use to cover the shoulders. It’s black, but it was only 3.20 at Kohls so I had to buy it. It looks good with the dress and this way I can keep warm if the AC is on and in church

Old 04-22-2018, 07:37 AM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
I'm probably the last person to give advise on this - but - my future daughter in law "rents" dresses from some website so that she doesn't have to buy a dress for each of her friends' weddings. She always looks stunning. Sorry, but I don't have the website address.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Thank you! I appreciate it. What kind of accessorizes would you suggest? I got heels for the actual wedding. I have tons of black flats as well that I could wear for the reception. I am not driving. I think we are going to Uber to the wedding because parking in a downtown area sucks.
I think you'd be fine with a black wrap and whatever you were already planning on wearing. You don't need to go nuts buying new stuff that you'd only wear once. And you don't need to change your shoes for the reception, but there are flats that fold up to fit in a clutch. Those can be nice to have if you're so inclined, but they're not necessary. The important thing is to be comfortable--not just with how things fit, but also with staying in your comfort zone of fashion so you're not sitting there second guessing yourself. If you're excited about the dress you've found, that's a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
I'm probably the last person to give advise on this - but - my future daughter in law "rents" dresses from some website so that she doesn't have to buy a dress for each of her friends' weddings. She always looks stunning. Sorry, but I don't have the website address.
I know of Rent the Runway: https://www.renttherunway.com There are probably others.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:08 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think you'd be fine with a black wrap and whatever you were already planning on wearing. You don't need to go nuts buying new stuff that you'd only wear once. And you don't need to change your shoes for the reception, but there are flats that fold up to fit in a clutch. Those can be nice to have if you're so inclined, but they're not necessary. The important thing is to be comfortable--not just with how things fit, but also with staying in your comfort zone of fashion so you're not sitting there second guessing yourself. If you're excited about the dress you've found, that's a good start.

I know of Rent the Runway: https://www.renttherunway.com There are probably others.
I advised the flats or comfortable casual dress shoes because you don’t know the seating area. Some receptions don’t seem to have enough chairs, either because of poor planning or too many guest who didn’t RSVP but showed up anyway. Standing and dancing in heelscan be painful plus it can cause damage to the more expensive dress high heel shoes. The casual dress/flats offer more comfort for both standing and dancing.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:57 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Re: bare shoulders at Catholic wedding, it really depends on the family and parish. If the family is more traditional, they might prefer seeing shoulders covered. Same with a more traditional parish. Some parishes still have Masses in Latin, and it's not unusual to see women wearing a mantilla. Then again, I've gone to Mass where some of the parishioners looked like they just strolled in from the beach. When in doubt, it never hurts to ask.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:37 PM

560 posts, read 452,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Re: bare shoulders at Catholic wedding, it really depends on the family and parish. If the family is more traditional, they might prefer seeing shoulders covered. Same with a more traditional parish. Some parishes still have Masses in Latin, and it's not unusual to see women wearing a mantilla. Then again, I've gone to Mass where some of the parishioners looked like they just strolled in from the beach. When in doubt, it never hurts to ask.
Thanks! I will just ask. I got a scarf to cover my shoulders just to be safe. Plus some places can get really cold so it never hurts to have something to put over them. I do believe they have shorted it and she said it’s not the long formal catholic ceremony

Old 04-22-2018, 03:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
What does everyone think about this dress? Sadly the dress in that picture the front part was held together by a button which I busted so my cleavage was really showing. The next size up was just too frumpy. The dress below I have lots of nice jewelry for and I have shoes/a scarf to cover up if I get cold.

I'm just having a hard time find anything formal for the afternoon wedding in the summer. I've never been to a real formal event. I skipped my proms and homecomings. I lack the experience with a dress...but, I want to make sure I look good for this wedding
nice dress, but that is not formal at all.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:13 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Is there a long break between the wedding and the reception? Any of those dresses would be fine for a church wedding, it's the reception that will be formal. If there are a couple of hours in between, many women will probably change into dressier clothing before the reception.

This is how you can differentiate between the black tie, formal, and semi formal invitations:
https://www.brides.com/story/wedding...code-explained

Do not, please don't, resort to casual shoes for a formal affair, it will ruin the entire look. I have never attended a wedding where seating was a problem, and I've been to many. Wear your best jewelry. Again, I have never heard of anyone losing their good jewelry at a wedding.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:44 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
OP, I'm not sure how old you are, but in case this isn't too far in the past for you, if this is really a formal wedding, try thinking of something that you'd wear to a formal prom as the concept, not just a pretty dress. Long, with an interesting neckline, maybe a bit of bling.

Something like this would work

https://www.lulus.com/products/glamo...html?rrec=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings