Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2020, 03:43 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times

Advertisements

Just caught this article on yahoo news, wanted to share in case anyone needs a wedding gown or would like to lend out their wedding gown, veil and shoes. I see that a bridal salon owner posted some sample gowns to lend out too. There's even a reporter that would love to do a story about people that have lent and borrowed gown via the group Sisterhood of the Traveling Wedding Dress Facebook group

I give anyone credit that is willing to lend out their gown, I personally couldn't. You never know what could happen to it and if the person borrowing will even send it back once they get it. I can see a lot of issues doing this, but I can also see a lot of positives too. It will give someone the chance to borrow a beautiful and expensive gown for their special day.

Back in 93, my sibling was getting rid of her gown. I made a Christening gown for my daughter out of it; so for the brides that don't want to gift but would love to reuse their gown, I highly suggest considering finding a business that can transform your gown into one. The Priest at the church could tell the Christening gown was custom made. I did the gown, a bonnet and a satin bib. I even made a cloth doll that was wearing a replica gown.

Woman starts 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Wedding Dress' group offering used gowns to brides in need
Quote:
“What a privilege it was for me to have everything I wanted, to have the beautiful dress, the beautiful day,” Nguyen tells Yahoo Life of her September 2019 wedding.

Nguyen posted her dress to Facebook Marketplace where she explained the meaning that it had to her and how she was ready for it to “be loved by a new bride.” Many responses to her post were out of confusion at first, as she says people questioned if it was even a real offer. Others led to the idea that more women should lend out their dresses to offer more options in terms of sizing and style. The latter then came to fruition when Nguyen’s wedding photographer, Madalyn Vermeer, saw the Marketplace post and decided to offer her own dress as well.

“So I started a group and now we have over 80 members in less than a week. And we already have five or six dresses being offered on the page,” Nguyen says of the “Sisterhood of the traveling wedding dress” Facebook group. “It warms my heart.”

As of Monday evening, the Facebook group has 92 members and even more women from numerous states posting their dresses to lend out. Nguyen and Vermeer have even posted suggestions like establishing a security deposit to cover the cost of dry cleaning in an effort to make their community feel their most comfortable while lending their dresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 04:57 PM

8,848 posts, read 5,882,543 times
I donated my wedding dress to the local Goodwill store when we moved, about a year after the wedding. We accumulate too much stuff that we cart around and keep building larger houses to store all this stuff. This is a few years old but still relevant.

"Over the last 42 years, the average new US house has increased in size by more than 1,000 square feet, from an average size of 1,660 square feet in 1973 (earliest year available from the Census Bureau) to 2,687 square feet last year. Likewise, the median-size house has increased in size by almost 1,000 square feet, from 1,525 square feet in 1973 to 2,467 last year. In percentage terms, both the average and median size of new US houses have increased by 62% since 1973."

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/new-u...early-doubled/

Bigger houses cost more to build and buy. They cost more to maintain and cost more to heat/cool. Maybe this also accounts for the need for two income families and second jobs for mom and dad.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:40 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,110,200 times
I once found a wedding dress in the presentation box. I sent it to my sister so her daughter could have a fairy princess dress. It was a great hit among the little ones.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 10-17-2020 at 09:26 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 05:50 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I donated my wedding dress to the local Goodwill store when we moved, about a year after the wedding. We accumulate too much stuff that we cart around and keep building larger houses to store all this stuff. This is a few years old but still relevant.

"Over the last 42 years, the average new US house has increased in size by more than 1,000 square feet, from an average size of 1,660 square feet in 1973 (earliest year available from the Census Bureau) to 2,687 square feet last year. Likewise, the median-size house has increased in size by almost 1,000 square feet, from 1,525 square feet in 1973 to 2,467 last year. In percentage terms, both the average and median size of new US houses have increased by 62% since 1973."

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/new-u...early-doubled/

Bigger houses cost more to build and buy. They cost more to maintain and cost more to heat/cool. Maybe this also accounts for the need for two income families and second jobs for mom and dad.
Thanks for the article. Everyone wants high ceilings, they must not realize the utilities cost a LOT more to heat/cool all of that "dead space".

I have a high ceiling in my foyer and hate it. The builder could have made a nice sized room in that space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I once found a wedding dress in the presentation box. I sent it to my sister so her daughter could have a fairy princess dress. It was a great hit among the little ones.
I would have loved it when I was little.

I made my daughter a wedding gown when she was 3 or 4. She's one of the only girls I know not into dolls and dress up. Wish I knew what happened to it.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:57 AM

85 posts, read 34,193 times

Old 02-11-2021, 06:56 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,498,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I give anyone credit that is willing to lend out their gown, I personally couldn't. You never know what could happen to it and if the person borrowing will even send it back once they get it. I can see a lot of issues doing this, but I can also see a lot of positives too.

Ita Rose....I can’t, but the dress I’m getting married in is super unconventional. I do donate clothing tho.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:52 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,266,535 times
A good idea is collect a deposit from the person and then when they return the dress back, give them their money back

Old 09-23-2021, 10:37 AM

313 posts, read 251,439 times
I got my dress for $50 at a consignment shop. I have little desire to keep it. Our wedding was outdoors and there are still a bunch of sticks and leaves stuck around the hem of the dress-I need to clean it up a little and then I will donate it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings