Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:21 AM

51 posts, read 166,939 times

Advertisements

Hey, kids!

My fiance and I are planning the wedding. We started talking about wedding bands and my question is this:

Is it okay NOT to get a wedding band? I love my engagement ring, I don't think that I'll be able to find any other ring to compliment it or replace it. It's very meaningful to me (my husband-to-be spent a lot of time finding something that was "me" - I don't really wear any jewelry), and I wouldn't mind just wearing the diamond all the time.

But does anyone else know of this "phenomena"? Is it the standard to ALWAYS get a separate wedding band? And if I don't, what does my fiance put on my finger during the ring exchange?

Your input and opinions are very welcome - cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
Couldnt you design something to go with the engagement ring? Wether it be a thin band or something? I personally would not feel "complete" without the band. But that is just my opinion. I havent heard of anyone without one, but im sure there are.
Good Luck, and Congratulations.....

Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Why can't you just do what you want to do? It's your marriage, your finger, your ring. Do what makes you and your future husband happy.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
My wife's engagement ring has the centerset and microsets on the side. Her wedding band fits neatly behind it and is a simple thin band with microsets all the way across. It looks quite sharp and she only wears the wedding band to work. She got me a giant, clunking titanium band that is actually a great man-ring. Just food for thought.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Why can't you just do what you want to do? It's your marriage, your finger, your ring. Do what makes you and your future husband happy.
That's kind of the direction I'm headed, Marlow. I thought I'd see what other folks have done.

Thanks to everyone so far!!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:

Perfect advice.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
back when we got engaged, my husband had a great relationship with a jeweler. He designed my engagement ring with a solitaire. I have very small hands and we felt the engagement/wedding band combo was too BIG for me. Hubby then designed my wedding ring by adding more diamonds around the engagement ring. Granted, I could not wear my engagement ring for a few weeks prior to our wedding, I saw my finished wedding ring on our wedding day. It is beautiful and love that I can say it is one of a kind.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Perfect advice.
That's what I'm starting to think, too. That to go with my gut/first instinct is most appropriate.

All of this planning has made me incredibly aware of how intrusive some people can be - no matter what I plan and how happy I am about it, there's someone that will think it's inappropriate, silly, etc. That my dress shouldn't have red in it, or I'll need a wedding band, or we should serve a five-course dinner, etc.

And it's really been a great test for me to go through; because I tend to seek to please others before myself. Silly me.

Anyway - thanks again, folks - it is interesting hearing how others have handled their wedding plans.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
I agree and to further that comment, I've seen women nowadays just wearing the one ring either a band or their stone. I thought about not wearing a band because my band on on my own ring is medium width but the diamond is 2 carats and octagon shaped so I'm going to end up having a band made that will be "cut out" around the bottom of it as if to "cup" it. (hoping that made sense, LOL) but I'm with this poster, do what you want and be happy!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:21 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Some people chhose not to wear one. No big deal. A band is a band, though. You can wear one or not. Theres no law that specifies that when you're married you 'have' to wear one. I seldom to never wear rings, by choice, and when I do, its a 'mothers' ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings