Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

I don't know how all this changed over the years, or maybe it's a cultural or economic difference?

When I got married, I was 30. It was my first wedding, so of course I wanted an actual wedding. Because my spouse and I are of different religions, we chose a JP instead of a church/synagogue. My parents told me what the budget was, and I worked with my mother and husband to be on making the arrangements within the budget.

It wasn't rocket science. You have a max, and every time you incur an expense, you deduct from the max. When you hit zero, you can't buy anything else. So it's in your best interest to be prudent, and do some research.

I would never have dreamed of demanding this that and the other thing. I can't even imagine the selfishness required to do that to your parents. What kind of girls are these, that would impose their needs as soon-to-be-married full grown adults on the people who raised them? What kind of parents are they, that would allow their children to get away with it?

The daughter wants a wedding in Cabo san Lucas? Great! Take pictures and show them to me when you get back. Hope you have a great time, and I'll forward the bill to your new apartment when it shows up in the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgett View Post
My daughter is getting married in July. It is a destination wedding to HI. This is my question. Does anyone out there, besides me, think that this wedding business is "over the top". All I ever hear is that the wedding is about "her". It's "her" day, it's what "she wants" etc. When I got married (1971) it was about two families planning for a special occasion, where two people in love were exchanging vows and starting a new life together. It was about the birde and groom; not the bride only. It was about honoring the families and bringing together cultures, traditions, friends and relatives. Not about what the bride wants and having make-up artists doing everyone hair and faces or $10,000.00 engagement rings and arguing.

I blame the media and us crazy people who watch shows like "Bridezilla" "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancee" etc. These shows help perpetulate the notion that these young people are "entitled" to have everything. I don't have a lot of money yet I am not starving. I raised my daughter to be kind, considerate, and think of others first. If I never hear the word wedding again it will be too soon.
In short... YES. Ever see Bride wars? It's utterly obnoxious!

People spend more time/money planning a wedding than they do a marriage!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I see nothing wrong with having a wedding in Hawaii.
When it gets to the make-up artist and crap, then yeah but wanting to have your wedding in Hawaii, nothing wrong with that.

I am no where near getting married but I know I want to get married on the beach, I already have in my head what I want my wedding dress to look like and I honestly could care less about everything else, as long as its on the beach and my dress is what I want it to be. I can't see myself being picky about decorations, food etc...
And if your husband-to-be HATES the beach? (If they're worth their salt they usually have some input on things like this.)

Old 09-27-2010, 04:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I think in general, destination weddings are selfish. Weddings are about pledging your love and commitment before friends and family. If the location supercedes the friends and family then you are already off on the wrong foot IMO. The exceptions would be people who (for whatever reason) really only want a very private ceremony. Perhaps it's a second wedding or the bride and groom are older and already established as a couple etc etc. For a young(ish) couple, to want a large wedding at some fancy "destination" and then get bent out of shape when the invitees cannot afford (or choose not to spend their next 2 years vacation fund on their wedding) or take the time to go...kind of defeats the purpose to me. Go there for your honeymoon instead.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
My soon to be husband, is more picky then I am when it comes to the wedding. I just want to elope =(

I have to say alot of you are saying destination weddings are selfish, Well I currently live in FL with my fiancee All of my family lives In NY, his lives in Germany. we are by no means being selfish because we want to get married on a Cruise Ship, there is just no neutral place for us to get married that would make everyone happy.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
My soon to be husband, is more picky then I am when it comes to the wedding. I just want to elope =(

I have to say alot of you are saying destination weddings are selfish, Well I currently live in FL with my fiancee All of my family lives In NY, his lives in Germany. we are by no means being selfish because we want to get married on a Cruise Ship, there is just no neutral place for us to get married that would make everyone happy.
I don't think wanting your wedding to be in point A or point B (or on a cruise ship) is selfish at all. What would be selfish, is if you expected your parents to pay for it all, and expected your guests to be in a position where they could afford to pay their own way (including time off from work since you can't exactly just fly to the ship for the wedding and fly back home the next day).

Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
We wanted a destination wedding but my grandma was too sick and too old to fly anywhere, so we didn't. It wasn't the wedding we wanted but it made my dying grandma, the only grandparent I ever knew, very happy. She died about 9 months later and one of the only things she said in her final days was how happy she was to have seen it. We could have saved a lot of our own money and had the wedding we wanted, but in the end we were glad we did what we did.

While it may not be selfish to want to have your wedding in the place of your choice, it is selfish to expect others to absorb the time and expense of attending. Elope and do it quietly if you want a destination wedding, and tell everyone when you get home. Or pay for those who you expect to attend. One way or the other.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
selfish? gee a wedding really is about the bride and the groom the rest is icing on the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings