Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is wearing white to someone else's wedding acceptable now-a-days?
Yes, wear white. 6 8.45%
Only certain white dress styles or paired with certain accessories. 7 9.86%
No, white is reserved for the bride. 58 81.69%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times

Advertisements

Don't wear white and if it's a traditional wedding, don't wear light blue either (the color is traditionally the color for mothers and grandmothers).

My stepmom wore an off~white dress to my wedding. The photographer (without being asked) avoided taking any photos of her and my in-laws still talk about it (and her) in a negative way. I was only slightly annoyed by it... it was my wedding and I had sooo much more to worry about. Chances are, if no one had pointed it out, I wouldn't have noticed. But I'm a very laid back person when it comes to fashion stuff. Other brides may not be so unconcerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 PM

106 posts, read 307,142 times
Don't wear white, you may think it is an old fashioned tradition but most people do not. There are tons of dresses out there especially now that it is summer, why would you pick a white one and risk upsetting the bride?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 PM

501 posts, read 1,945,175 times
You've TOTALLY confirmed my suspicions that while some "modern fashion" people (including those who work in retail!) may disagree, white really is inappropriate at a wedding unless you're the bride.

I figure that if I'm even worrying about the situation, I better just forget about it.

I have another dress that I think will be more appropriate (and having browsed their location online I can see that going with something a little more dressed up will be more appropriate anyhow).

Thanks again...saved me from an uncomfortable evening and more importantly, the possible discomfort of the bride!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:15 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I dont think its a big deal.
I think its more important not to pick a slutty dress.

I would just ask the bride or her mother.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:07 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I dont wear white at all, ever, so.....
(except socks).
But then I dont wear really low cut and spaghetti strap blouses or tops either. Mostly because I dont have much to show anyway.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:39 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
You've TOTALLY confirmed my suspicions that while some "modern fashion" people (including those who work in retail!) may disagree, white really is inappropriate at a wedding unless you're the bride.

I have another dress that I think will be more appropriate ................
Thanks again...saved me from an uncomfortable evening and more importantly, the possible discomfort of the bride!
Well, I am with you on this one
Me, personally, would be comfortable to wear a white/ off white to a wedding....I am more "unconventional" and "modern", so to speak.
However, there are plenty of people NOT sharing my taste or choices, and still uphold and honor traditions.
So, that said, and learning a lesson of my own, I discovered to (if possible) speak to the bride or mother- of-the bride beforehand, just to see, what color choices I do have. (I would love to wear a muted pink or such, but, don't want to end up looking like a brides maid either )
If that all fails, I am playing it "safe" and usually end up wearing my well trusted "little black dress" (as a last resort), which comes in handy to pretty much all occasions and you can never go wrong with.
I am certainly not making an a** out of myself ever again.....LOL

Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Default Old Fashioned

And here I thought I'd be the only old fashioned person here.

I agree with the majority, White should be reserved for the bride. I'm not to keen on the black and white weddings either.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:34 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
And here I thought I'd be the only old fashioned person here.

I agree with the majority, White should be reserved for the bride. I'm not to keen on the black and white weddings either.
LOL.....I don't consider myself old fashioned by any means. However, I am with you on that.
There should be ONE day, someone doesn't wear the color "white" or "off white"....to respect and honor a bride and her family on a very special day and occasion, and follow a tradition.
I think, wedding guests can survive and "suck it up" for one day NOT being the center of attention for once, and dress appropriately.
And....people can do whatever they want, if it is THEIR wedding (aka Pam Anderson in a white string bikini)....I am sure, she wouldn't have mind if someone would have worn white....AND/ OR went naked......LOL.
There's just a place and time for EVERYTHING, including on WHAT to wear, and in what color.
I am sure, nobody would show up at a funeral in bright white, unless specifically stated to do so. Right ???

Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Cute dress it looks just like my sisters wedding dress she wore for her outdoor beach wedding. Get the picture? Not every bride chooses the elaborate wedding gowns but MOST do choose white so why take the chance and interfere with her day? I just bought a dress for my nephews wedding at Ann Taylor Loft. Not white and adorable too Do yourself a favor and pick out something else.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
The dress is casual, but there are knee lenght dresses these days for casual brides.

Just ask the bride if she would mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings