Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,140,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
3) Making up vows. Trust me. Unless you are Robert Frost, the chances that your vows are going to be stupid, hokey, and nausea-inducing are about 99.9%. I've never attended a wedding where, when the vows were written by the couple, you couldn't hear the collected rolling of hundreds of eyeballs in their collective sockets. The existing rite of whatever faith or justice of the peace you choose will do the job nicely.
haha...I also HATE self-written vows....they are always horrible, agreed. They also often consist of inside jokes that leaves most of the guests out. Save the mushy gushy crap for private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Wanneroo, I think you should post a thread sometime with some of your stories. It seems like you've seen enough to fill several Bridezilla-type shows!

And I loved that invitation, WyoNewk.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
We went to one like that several years ago. We were sitting in the church and my husband saw the brides sister leave her spot as Maid of Honor and he said "Oh, it's going to get really ugly in a sec"

Sure enough, she started screeching some heinous version of 'Ave Maria"...I can still hear it bursting my ear drums...
Oh....my....God. You know, I can't stand "Ave Maria" in the first place, but to have some amateur shrieking it out is the Sixth Circle of Hell, in my opinion.

Our wedding took place in a Catholic Church because, by God, my Catholic in-laws laid down the law. So I remember listening to some adnoidal teenager snuffling his way through that opus. However, during the planning, I refused to lay the flowers in front of the Virgin Mary statue. "What would we do after that? Sacrifice a goat?" Yeah, it wasn't the nicest thing I could have said, but I had really gotten tired of all the layers of crap as my mother-in-law planned the grand wedding of all time.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Wanneroo, I think you should post a thread sometime with some of your stories. It seems like you've seen enough to fill several Bridezilla-type shows!
I think from 2000-2006 I probably worked 10 or so weddings a year in Aspen and Vail, most of them massive royalty and celebutard weddings. There were some we did that had 800-1000 guests.

I've had so many experiences and stories from the past 8 years I can't really remember most of them until someone prompts my brain about it, like mentioning weddings or something.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,057,661 times
Getting back to the original post, sons and daughters in every country are treated very different financially and otherwise by parents. Boys are expected to fend for themselves and be responsible very quickly and girls are pampered a bit too much for a bit too long. It's the tradition everywhere and in every country.

Now, even with siblings of the same sex, there are discrepancies based on the individuality of the siblings. I was able to contribute towards my wedding because I was already working, so my parents matched my money, but my older sister's wedding was paid in full by my parents because she wasn't working yet. And they spent 5 times more on my younger sister's wedding because she got married later and wanted a much grander wedding, but she also contributed a lot more than I did and they matched it.

It's not about being fair, but more about giving each what they feel is important. Maybe, they gave your husband something that is more valuable than money? It seems to me that your husband is the one that is better off. His sister will never realize the value of money, but he's been given a valuable lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings