Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times

Advertisements

How does your bridesmaid that wears a size 18 feel about a strapless dress? I also had a bridesmaid that wore a larger size and she was very self-conscious of showing too much skin, including her arms, so I added a wrap to the dresses for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,508 times
First, your dress is very pretty!

Second...coming from someone who used to work at a bridal salon...I think either of the dresses you posted would be perfectly fine and I think the blue would be lovely. Dress styles don't have to LOOK "beachy" to be on a beachside wedding. I just got married in June and if I would have had my wedding anywhere near the beach I would have done everything the same...my "Cinderella" dress, light purple t-length, charmuse (silky material) dresses and everything. Sometimes the constrast can be good...it's not about WHERE your wedding is...it's about your STYLE. If these are the dresses you like, then go for it. I personally think it would look perfectly fine no matter where the location. Many times a more "casual" location with a more "elegant/formal" flair to it turns out absolutely lovely!

I was at a beach wedding where the men wore outfits very similar to the ones you gave and the girls dresses were full length, peachy color and a very light material.

Do what you love, it will be beautiful!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
How does your bridesmaid that wears a size 18 feel about a strapless dress? I also had a bridesmaid that wore a larger size and she was very self-conscious of showing too much skin, including her arms, so I added a wrap to the dresses for her.
She is the one that suggested the strapless version with the sequins. I was set on the cotton one, but that didn't work very well for her. She lives in another state, we couldn't go together. She wasn't real thrilled with the cotton, but the sequin one she liked.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Ooh, I had my wedding on the beach in Mexico last year, so maybe I can help... though, mine was really small so now bridesmaids. Here's my advice.

It will probably be windy. Even if you're a little ways away from the beach. I would avoid short dresses unless they are a heavier fabric that won't blow. First, the girls will be preoccupied keeping the dresses down, second they will look weird in photos holding their dresses down.

Also, be careful using blue for a beach wedding unless you really know what color the water is there. Sounds weird, I know, but if the water is a more greenish/lighter the darker blue will clash in photos. Unless the whole wedding already has a blue theme, I would consider switching to lavender, pink, pretty much anything else that will make a nice contrast instead of looking like you tried to match the water but failed.

One more thing. I saw a TON of weddings at the resort during the week we had ours. The wedding parties that were more dressed up looked REALLY awkward. I love the groomsmen outfits, they are a perfect balance between casual/dressy. The bridesmaids should match the "feel" of their outfits, not yours. You are the bride, it's ok for you to be dressier. But if you are dressier, and the bridemaids are dressier, the men will look lazy and the women will look like they tried too hard.

I like the blue dresses, but they are too much like prom dresses/cocktail dresses for your wedding. Go for a halter neckline that matches your dress, but in a more casual, flowy fabric that hits just below the knee. Use jewelry (even cheap stuff from Claires) if you need to dress them up a bit.

David's Bridal - Halter organza tea-length dress with satin ribbon detailing.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/dresses/weddingsparties/PRDOVR~96454/96454.jsp

(The darker blue of the second dress will probably match ocean water better for pictures, and will look better on most people's skin)

Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
DNaomi,
I actually looked at that Halter Dress from David's. It was no good in person. the stripes around the bottom weren't sewn real well, and didn't lay flat. It was weird. I might go look at it again, just to be sure.

I do like the J.Crew dress, I'm just worried about something I can't see in person. I don't think they carry it in stores. They don't always look the same in real life.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
I like the second one a lot!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I like the second one a lot!
Me too, plus it would look flattering on a variety of body types!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post

I don't have time to look now but I've seen weddings where the bridesmaids all wore individual dresses that suited their body shape and complimented the bridal gown but the theme that tied them together was tonal colours and/or some kind of decorative feature, like a silk flower or a belt or sequined applique' or ribbon.
Good suggestion.

My daughter is getting married in May. She is also planning a beach area wedding since that is where they live.....but going with more of an Irish theme. We have a family member who is an ace seamstress, so my daughter chose her pattern and fabrics. She also chose a fabric for the bridesmaids...but is letting them pick their own dress style. This was mainly a choice made due to the variation of body styles and what the girls would be most comfortable in in the heat outside.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Of the two, I'd pick the cotton one, but I'd rather see you choose some cute sundresses. To have formally dressed bridesmaids next to groomsmen in flip flops is just not working for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings