Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

Advertisements

The worst case scenario is that someday you may have to replace the stone. Until then, you have years to love and enjoy the ring/stone of your choice. Sounds worth it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
San

54 posts, read 430,414 times
Me too. Amethyst is my birthstone. I didn't want a diamond and have an Amethyst ring with my wedding band. I love it. It's not the same diamond deal that most people wear. Like Songinthewind (pretty by the way) I've never had any problem with it. I do stick it in some alcohol to clean it now and then. I've also taken it to a jeweler to make sure the set is secure. Other than that I've never had any trouble.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
My engagement ring is an Amethyst. I've had it for 9 years now, so far it hasn't broken, and I'm very very hard on my jewelry.

I hate diamonds and told my husband if he ever bought me one, I would hurt him. Since Amethyst is my birthstone (and my 2nd favorite color) that is what he got me.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
I had an opal as my engagement ring and it was too soft. It eventually broke. I had it replaced w/ an emerald. However, my sister in law chose a tanzanite because she loved purple too...Google Image Result for http://palmbeachfinejewelryandantiques.com/TANZANITE-LS12A.jpg

It was actually prettier than any of the amethysts she saw. And it has lasted beautifully-longer than her marriage unfortunately. :/

Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Opals, emeralds and pearls require special treatment - if you wear rings with those, you need to take them off when you do the dishes or take a bath.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:27 PM

43 posts, read 138,928 times
I really think it depends on the persons style that you are buying it for. If you did your homework on your future bride you shouldn't have to ask public opinions about this. It doesn't matter what other people think, you need to know if she will like it. I wouldn't wear colored gem stones daily. For special dressed up occasions only. I am more of a clear, clean cut, sparkle diamond wearing lady

Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
It's definitely the O.P.'s choice to make. Diamonds are also popular because of their hardness and durability, which in turn makes it a common symbol for eternal love. But as long as she gets the right ring setting and doesn't wear it while gardening or any other activity where the amethyst will get scratched up, she'll be fine. She can always get the stone repolished later on. But it would be a shame if she ever needed to replace the stone entirely due to excessive wear or chips. I'm nostalgic about stuff like that. I'd only want the original engagement ring stone to be set in my ring forever.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:55 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outspokenpiehole View Post
I really think it depends on the persons style that you are buying it for. If you did your homework on your future bride you shouldn't have to ask public opinions about this. It doesn't matter what other people think, you need to know if she will like it. I wouldn't wear colored gem stones daily. For special dressed up occasions only. I am more of a clear, clean cut, sparkle diamond wearing lady
Sam is my nickname. I'm a female and the one that will be wearing the ring. My BF told me that I can pick whatever I want.

My main issue was the durability. I've since learned that Amethyst is probably too soft. So, the search continues.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:06 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I love rings and the only one I have cracked is a white topaz. I have broken two of them. I am really rough on rings. I have lost the set of a white sapphire. It was my favorite ring too. It was a total 3 karat ring with 6 different colors of sapphire in a flower setting.

I cannot think of a more pretty ring than a huge dark purple amethyst. That would be a killer engagement ring. So romantic. Isn't that the stone that is supposed to protect the person wearing it.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
Sam is my nickname. I'm a female and the one that will be wearing the ring. My BF told me that I can pick whatever I want.

My main issue was the durability. I've since learned that Amethyst is probably too soft. So, the search continues.
Don't forget to look at the various ring setting styles. Some ring mountings are more protective of the center stone than others. Just don't get one of those settings that elevate the center stone too high like this one because then you will be banging around that poor amethyst:

Otherwise, if you will consider a ring that isn't a solitaire style... I find the eternity band styles very wearable and practical for every day wear.

And what I think is pretty is a combination of a coloured stone and diamonds in an eternity band. And I like that the rings don't get caught on my sweaters and make pulls.

http://www.jewelryadviser.com/images/28945-2-1.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings