U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:25 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,798,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Oh, please. Can we get over the "bride is the center of the universe, it's her special day" nonsense? It's a wedding, not a coronation. There are two people getting married, if I recall correctly -- not just a bride. To all brides out there making everyone around you miserable as you strive for your fairytale wedding where you are the unrelenting center of attention: please get over yourself. Thank you.
Not all women are bridezillas. And since my wife's dad was footing the bill I thought it only proper. I had a say in the wedding but quite honestly it wasn't a big deal and anything would've been fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 PM

9,718 posts, read 4,086,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Mother of the Groom rules-

1. Shut up
2. Show up
3. Wear beige
4. Bring the checkbook.

Our son's getting married next month and I'm wearing mocha with bride's approval.
That's exactly what I've been doing.......nothing. Waiting for the bride to tell me what color. I'm sure it will be the same when my other son gets married too

Old 03-01-2009, 04:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,230,053 times
My daughter is having a 1940's theme wedding. I made the maid of honor's (her sister) dress from a 1940's pattern. I am also making mine from a 1940's pattern. I had considered a salmon color because that was a very popular color then and I do look good in it, but decided on a dusty rose since it would go better with what the bridal party is wearing.

We have no idea what the MOG is wearing. My daughter is leaving it up to her. I doubt she is going with the "theme" of this wedding though.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:23 PM

2,654 posts, read 7,324,906 times
Orange: No.

No orange dress for the mother of the groom dress at the wedding.

And you can tell her I said so.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,555,617 times
I don't see why orange would be a problem. On some women, it could be stunning, but that might be the problem!

I agree that who is paying for the wedding makes the decisions, BUT.....a bride (or hostess) should always think about what's going to happen the day AFTER the wedding. The mother of the groom will be around for a while, and it's not worth it to pi$$ her off!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 AM

598 posts, read 1,376,102 times
I don't know if it's an attention but I would say that the vast majority of orange dresses are hideous. Orange is not an easy color to make a dress in, nor is it an easy color to wear lol!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM

7,889 posts, read 8,370,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
It was evident after the fact that my mother only chose orange to create a problem. My wife felt as though the attention would've been taken away from her, the bride, on her special day.
That was my first thought. It just screams, "Look at me, I'm throwing a tantrum!". I suppose it could have been worse; she could have pushing for gold lamé or a black suit and a hat with veil. Letting her have her way with the unfortunate orange dress would mean that you'd be stuck looking at that in the group photos.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:43 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,970,741 times
thats a pretty insecure bride if she needs to tell people what to wear. she should be focused on her happiness, not all the petty stuff that might make her unhappy.

poor girl. i imagine she will soon be telling her husband how to snore...

that MIL should have worn what she wanted to. the bride should not have a problem. thats such a petty thing to get her panties in a bunch over. now if it was an UGLY dress, then maybe. but a color does not make an ugly dress.

its a red flag.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:11 PM

17,110 posts, read 12,422,778 times
Here's the deal regarding the orange dress. To be polite the MOG should have asked first - orange is a difficult color to wear and depending on the shade of orange could be overly attention grabbing (which would be in poor taste and not the best way to start things off with your future DIL). That said, if the MOG did not do this and purchased the dress anyway, a polite, well-brought-up bride, would care more about her relationship with her future in-laws than about what the pictures would look like. She would smile and be gracious to the person who raised the wonderful man she loved and was about to marry. Starting off in a fit over a silly dress (even if it was the ugliest dress on God's green earth) is not very smart.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:21 PM

8,182 posts, read 11,504,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Mother of the Groom rules-

1. Shut up
2. Show up
3. Wear beige
4. Bring the checkbook.

Our son's getting married next month and I'm wearing mocha with bride's approval.

Too Too Funny and very very true.

It is proper ediquette for the MOG to contact both the bride and the MOB to find out what colors would be appropriate.

My DIL just laughed and said not white.

Nothing wrong with being polite and asking. It's not the MOG's day, it's the Bride and Grooms day. No time to be "right"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings