Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:49 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts about the mother of the groom wearing an orange dress to a traditional wedding? My mother planned on wearing an orange dress to our spring wedding, however my wife was very upset over this choice. Is it inappropriate to wear certain colors to weddings? My mom ended up wearing black and teal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 AM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
Personally, I think any color choice would have been okay as long as the dress was tastefully made. (No boobs hanging out, not too tight, etc...)

Maybe your wife was concerned that your mom's dress would draw attention away from her.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Mother of the Groom rules-

1. Shut up
2. Show up
3. Wear beige
4. Bring the checkbook.

Our son's getting married next month and I'm wearing mocha with bride's approval.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post

1. Shut up
2. Show up
3. Wear beige
4. Bring the checkbook.
Oh, now this just made me laugh out loud! I'm the mother of two sons (neither are married...yet), and I'm going to pass these Rules on to my sisters, who are also "boy moms".

Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:

1. Shut up
2. Show up
3. Wear beige
4. Bring the checkbook.

Our son's getting married next month and I'm wearing mocha with bride's approval.
LOL - I was just about to post the same thing....You beat me to it. I'll add - don't outshine the MOB....(but honestly "wear beige" pretty much covers that)

Old 02-28-2009, 11:45 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
Quote:

1. Shut up
2. Show up
3. Wear beige
4. Bring the checkbook.

Lol! So true! But with the bride's approval, I think any color is fine. My MIL wore a pale pink suit to her middle son's wedding, and an aqua suit to mine--both with approval. I don't remember what she wore to her youngest son's wedding...I only remember the pink suit because that was purchased for my wedding, but apparently my then future SIL threw a fit because she liked it better than what she had already approved for her wedding...sigh

Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
why does the MIL need anybody's approval? orange sounds great, fun, happy color. beige...can you say...YUCK!!!!! black? i am not a wear black person to a wedding, esp. for family members. you should have backed up your mama on her choice and told the fiancee to deal with what she's wearing.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:13 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Quote:

1. Shut up
2. Show up
3. Wear beige
4. Bring the checkbook.

LOL....I have two sons that are both looking to get engaged within 6 months. Looks like I'm going to have back to back weddings!
I will shut up
I will show up
I won't wear beige because it's not my color
I'll bring an armored truck.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:37 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
why does the MIL need anybody's approval? orange sounds great, fun, happy color. beige...can you say...YUCK!!!!! black? i am not a wear black person to a wedding, esp. for family members. you should have backed up your mama on her choice and told the fiancee to deal with what she's wearing.
It was evident after the fact that my mother only chose orange to create a problem. My wife felt as though the attention would've been taken away from her, the bride, on her special day.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:40 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Oh, please. Can we get over the "bride is the center of the universe, it's her special day" nonsense? It's a wedding, not a coronation. There are two people getting married, if I recall correctly -- not just a bride. To all brides out there making everyone around you miserable as you strive for your fairytale wedding where you are the unrelenting center of attention: please get over yourself. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings