U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM

7,290 posts, read 8,490,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
For those who have been married, and are not afraid of marrying again, would you have a more/less extravagant wedding this time?
We had a fairly costly wedding by most standards. (Already owned a home and our honeymoon included France, Monaco & Switzerland.) We initially wanted something "simple" in our backyard (clambake), but believe it or not, it would have cost the same as having it at the mansion we were married in. (Tents, port-a-potties, valet service, catering, engineers & permits.) Being that it was hurricane season, we opted for a location that could accommodate our guests if there was inclement weather. (FWIW, my husband has 12 biological aunts & uncles, not including their SOs or cousins whom he's close with.)

If I had to do it all over again, whether it was a renewing of our vows or if god forbid something happened to my husband and I miraculously met someone who was remotely comparable, it would depend on our finances & budget. But I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a large, elaborate wedding again. I enjoy entertaining and planning events. Our wedding day wasn't even so much about us, but celebrating with our close family and friends. Although I must admit, I loved wearing the pretty gown and tiara.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM

7,060 posts, read 12,114,765 times
Ever since I was a little girl I dreamed of eloping. Now I wouldn't mind getting married online.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 AM

7,533 posts, read 6,121,618 times
Shark attack or........marrying again....

Hmmmmm?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,032,692 times
We're just beginning to discuss it now.
We're still a few years away from it, we need to find out where she's gonna be working after she finishes her PHD. It'll take us a while to settle, and get financially stable, so paying off student loans, and getting a house will take priority over paying for a wedding.

We're considering the idea of eloping, because our families live in 2 different countries, so it could make the logistics awkward for the guests, our families are getting older now, and many of them won't be able to travel, so, rather than disappointing a few, we'll just disappoint them all equally !!

Either that, or we face a private wedding for the legal necessities, and then a public blessing, and a party in each country, so the relatives can see it.

We have a few ideas we're mulling over, but they'll get refined gradually, as we see what we can afford !!
It certainly won't be a big overstated affair tho, the marriage is more important than the wedding for us !!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 AM

3,261 posts, read 2,873,711 times
My dh & I had a grand wedding with all the bells & whistles, I know because I saw the video...

Like every girl, I dreamed about an extravagant wedding and I got it, but in retrospect that kind of spectacular wedding was more for our parents (mine specifically), family and friends.

If I had to do it all over again, I would want it small & intimate.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,982,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
We initially wanted something "simple" in our backyard (clambake), but believe it or not, it would have cost the same as having it at the mansion we were married in.

Really?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:22 PM

865 posts, read 1,372,900 times
When my dh and I got married (12 yrs ago), we paid for everything ourselves, so it was a small wedding (about 70 people). We didn't have anything fancy, just the basics. Enough flowers to not have anything look bare, a buffet with decent food, a dj, and most importantly, an open bar. I think that, plus our honeymoon to HI, cost about $7k.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't want anything big, but definately something more special. I think a destination wedding, with just the kids, and my immed family (and his), would be more than enough.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 PM

302 posts, read 509,897 times
Never been married.

I am hoping to have a chill but fun wedding. I want to have it at a family members house because they have an awesome backyard I hope to have it outdoors!

After the ceremony, I want to have a delicious buffet, a few big regular tables, and a bunch of the cocktail type tables and stools. No seating charts for me! A good band, an open beer bar, an open wine bar, and I want to have on special cocktail that I make up.

And that's about it! Big or small doesn't matter as long as everyone who I WANT there will be there. I would much rather put the money towards a house or savings rather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings