Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,114,734 times

Advertisements

Weddings are bureacratic and ridculous anyway, in my view. Go to the courthouse and throw a keg party at a firehall with 15 boxes of pizza and a Punk band. This is what I will do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,644,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It's an old outdated notion. I wore white for my second wedding. Actually, I didn't have a wedding the first time - we married at a Justice of the Peace and I wore a black dress - in hindsight, the black was totally appropriate! LOL
Same here! My first wedding was at a Justice of the Peace and I was way too poor to afford anything even close to a wedding dress (I didn't wear black, but in hindsight, I probably should have!!).....One of those dumb 18 year old mistakes! So my second wedding, I wore white and had a real wedding (as much as I could afford!)!! That was 14 years and two kids ago!!

Old 06-11-2009, 04:41 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,949,040 times
I agree with most of the comments here. I have seen second time + brides wear ivory dresses, but if she likes white, then more power to her, and I wish her and her fiance well.

I have seen so many fashion no-no's of the past change, such as the black and white weddings that are so popular today. It used to be that wearing black to a wedding was considered inappropriate, and that only the bride should wear white.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 AM

750 posts, read 1,432,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I agree with most of the other posts! It's her day, she should wear what she wants!
Me too! She should wear whatever will maximize the haul of gifts!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,480,554 times
Come on - hardly any brides are virgins anymore - or grooms for that matter - wear whatever you want!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:00 PM

285 posts, read 926,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Weddings are bureacratic and ridculous anyway, in my view. Go to the courthouse and throw a keg party at a firehall with 15 boxes of pizza and a Punk band. This is what I will do!

This is funny! I like it!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,027,008 times
Most first time brides aren't virgins and THEY are wearing white. I don't see anything wrong with wearing white regardless of the wedding count.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
I've read a different origin about the fancy white dress. The iconic color of purity in Christianity is blue, not white, probably to connote the heavenly sky. The Virgin Mary is usually portrayed in a blue headscarf, and Jesus is frequently depicted wearing a blue robe or sash. A white dress was a symbol of the bride's family's wealth for her to wear an otherwise useless dress. Anyway, different opinions ... not sure if anybody really knows.

As for the second-time bride, go ahead and wear white. I'd skip the veil, but that's just me.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:01 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,495,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I agree with most of the other posts! It's her day, she should wear what she wants!
Yes, a cocktail dress will do.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
I know someone who will be getting married for the second time soon. She told me her wedding dress is white. Do you think that's appropriate? I always thought you were supposed to wear a different color after the first wedding or is that just an old rule that went out the window just like not wearing white shoes after labor day did. If you were divorced and getting married again,would you wear white?
Yes. This is 2009, not 1959!

White is the traditional wedding color in the west but some other cultures have their own traditional wedding colors, it is nothing but a cultural construct and culture changes over time.

I do not agree with repeat brides having multiple huge wedding registries, i.e. if you already have a set of silver or china, what do you need with another one? But I always bring a gift to the wedding whether the bride/groom is getting married for the first time or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings