Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
I think that its her wedding day and she can wear whatever she wants. :]

agree absolutely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 06:27 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICN2U View Post
white = virgin
In that case, there should not be a lot of white gowns seen at weddings nowadays...

Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times
I met up with a friend that I hadn't seen since childhood, a few months back. And while catching up on what was new in our lives, she mentioned that she was getting married very soon!! After passing along my congradulations, and asked how her wedding plans were going, she said fine... then with a bit of hesitation, she felt she needed to divulge and defend the fact that the wedding gown she picked out was black and red with skulls on it, and seemed to hold her breath and wait for my reaction to justify this horrendous need to go against the grain.

I think I may of ruffled her feathers a bit by not really paying attention to - or caring - about such an obviously against-the-norm choice. but... who cares! Would I do it? LOL hellz no! But it's her special day, I finished my coffee, laughed, told her to knock herself out and have fun! And we parted ways.

As for my second marriage, yes the whole white = virginity is a symbol, outdated, but still upheld - but leaves much room for indivudualism. I would go for a buttermilk cream embroiderey next time I think, rather than the starchy poofy white taffeta statement that you see on so many of the younger first-timers.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,437 times
Yea why not, I wore white for both my weddings.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
Yes, its pretty much passe to wrinkle your nose at 2nd time brides who wear white. The whole "white as virginity banner" idea is a thing of the past for so many.

My second husband REALLY wanted me to wear a big , bejeweled , WHITE princess dress because it was HIS first marriage. I tried to talk him out of it because I did not want to hear the catty whispers of certain females as I walked down the isle. But he really wanted his bride in white, and he was paying, and I wanted to make him happy. He was.

I did leave the veil off my face, and my two little s wore white as well. We just celebrated our 10 year anniversary, and added two more peeps to the mix.
Not many people marry as a virgin anymore.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 AM

23 posts, read 35,233 times
She is bride, so she can choose her favourite, hope she will very happy

Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,086 times
History of the Wedding Dress - LoveToKnow Weddings

I have seen weddings in rich purples recently ..
If you look at old photos .. often a good suit ... was the choice .. much more practical.
I personally chose a short dress that will still work for the next big anniversary.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
History of the Wedding Dress - LoveToKnow Weddings

I have seen weddings in rich purples recently ..
If you look at old photos .. often a good suit ... was the choice .. much more practical.
I personally chose a short dress that will still work for the next big anniversary.
I used to work in a museum with a collection of wedding dresses--very few of them were white. There were lots of greys, greens, purples, blues. Back in the day, the average woman couldn't afford to spend good money on an impractical white dress, so she'd buy a nice new dress that would then become her "Sunday best".

For a second wedding, it wouldn't be inappropriate to do the same kind of thing, but if the bride wants a white wedding, that's what she should do.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times
I think she can wear anything she wants.

I didn't wear white in my 2nd one. I just wore something pink. I'm not much into white clothing anyway. Can stain too bad, if I accidently spilt something.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Extenuating circumstances notwithstanding - if I have a second wedding it will be in a courthouse wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings