U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:31 AM

943 posts, read 1,876,100 times

Advertisements

Is it odd to have an engagement party for a couple who is not getting married for a whole year? Their Weeding is scheduled for July 2010.

This is supposed to be a big outdoor affair right outside my bedroom window Saturday evening, with over a hundred people. Mostly connected to the law firm where her father works and bigshots who work on Capital Hill. It seems like quite a risk- because many long engagements are cancelled. Would you stick your neck out and have a big engagement party this weekend for someone who is not be married until July 2010?

Oh, my husband and I are not invited but will have to listen to the noise next door as we try to sleep! Is this rude?

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 06-27-2009 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 06:13 AM

15,514 posts, read 7,659,509 times
no......not odd in my book. It is an engagement party.......not a wedding. They got engaged didn't they
We didn't have an engagement party for my daughter but his parents took us out to dinner.

sounds like a nice party.....maybe you can sneak over there. LOL!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:22 AM

28,227 posts, read 13,693,670 times
Nope not unusual at all and congrats to them! Our son and now wife had their's last year (1 yr before wedding) and it was an affair with about 100 and was much fun.

If the noise bothers you crank up the a/c,

Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 AM

304 posts, read 560,476 times
My boss did something similar for his kid and fiance...because her family was in another state and the wedding was going to be held there - those of us who couldn't attend were able to meet the girl and celebrate the engagement. I thought it was thoughtful and considerate. The party took place 1 month before the wedding. Are the engaged in school...is that why they are waiting a year? I'm not a fan of long engagements.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:34 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,179,334 times
Odd...wonder how many bridal showers they will have? Really going to soak their friends for gifts & money, guess they just as well get an early start.

Or...they are so happy she is finally gettiing married they want to celebrate.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:37 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,422,958 times
The couple got engaged and it's a party to celebrate their commitment towards marriage. I don't find anything weird or odd about that. It's a gathering for their friends. A good excuse to have a party.

It sounds to me like you and these neighbors aren't very friendly. Sour grapes perhaps?

Let it go. Let the family celebrate thier special occasion. Take a sleep aid and turn in early the night of the party.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:40 AM

6 posts, read 11,261 times
Not odd - but if you are the neighbor it is always best to invite you (I always invite mine) so you don't complain about the noise.

Wish them well.....

Old 06-27-2009, 07:52 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,422,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL or ANC View Post
Not odd - but if you are the neighbor it is always best to invite you (I always invite mine) so you don't complain about the noise.

Good point!

Welcome to City Data!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:06 AM

1,692 posts, read 2,379,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Is it odd to have an engagement party for a couple who is not getting married for a whole year? Their Weeding is scheduled for July 2010.

This is supposed to be a big outdoor affair right outside my bedroom window Saturday evening, with over a hundred people. Mostly connected to the law firm where her father works and bigshots who work on Capital Hill. It seems like quite a risk- because many long engagements are cancelled. Would you stick your neck out and have a big engagement party this weekend for someone who is not be married until July 2010?

Oh, my husband and I are not invited but will have to listen to the noise next door as we try to sleep! Is this rude?
OVER 100 people?!? WOW that is rude in my books. bad spot with lawyers they think they can get away with so much crap. I would contact you local police dept and bone up on the law for crowd size and noise ordinences. Then remind your loving neighbors that you expect those legalities to be upheld for the health and safety of the community at large as well as close residing neighbors.

Having engagement parties are not like they were back in the day ( so to speak) now a says it is a way to network and smooze others with a big party. In some cases it is a LOOK At ME! form of self-importance. Since it will be a big shot party then I think we have a answer as to the real reason for the party.

My best friend had a party to celebrate all stages of her marraige. They shared friendship rings we had a small bash, they exchanged promise rings - we had a small bash, they got engaged - it was a more informal event but not THAT big, about 1 1/2 years later they got married Now that was the big wedding full blow out with all the timmings they could afford.

They in all right should have invited you to keep the peace in the neighbohood, but somepeople don't want to invite the neighbors, especially if you don't know them. Good luck with the um Party. Maybe if you can get your stereo, point speakers out the windows and some really good bagpipe music ( I can suggest some really great bands that have accomplish much for me in the past ) and fight party with bagpipe and drums!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 AM

15,514 posts, read 7,659,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
OVER 100 people?!? WOW that is rude in my books. bad spot with lawyers they think they can get away with so much crap. I would contact you local police dept and bone up on the law for crowd size and noise ordinences. Then remind your loving neighbors that you expect those legalities to be upheld for the health and safety of the community at large as well as close residing neighbors.

Having engagement parties are not like they were back in the day ( so to speak) now a says it is a way to network and smooze others with a big party. In some cases it is a LOOK At ME! form of self-importance. Since it will be a big shot party then I think we have a answer as to the real reason for the party.

My best friend had a party to celebrate all stages of her marraige. They shared friendship rings we had a small bash, they exchanged promise rings - we had a small bash, they got engaged - it was a more informal event but not THAT big, about 1 1/2 years later they got married Now that was the big wedding full blow out with all the timmings they could afford.

They in all right should have invited you to keep the peace in the neighbohood, but somepeople don't want to invite the neighbors, especially if you don't know them. Good luck with the um Party. Maybe if you can get your stereo, point speakers out the windows and some really good bagpipe music ( I can suggest some really great bands that have accomplish much for me in the past ) and fight party with bagpipe and drums!
Wow........thats another way to look this too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings