Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:54 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie1209 View Post
That all sounds right to me (we recently walked our friend through being a best man). Definitely plan the bachelor party a week or so before, not the night before the wedding. Regardless of what you do, the wedding itself is exhausting, so it's worthwhile to have a fairly relaxing time the night before.

The only thing I'd add to the list is that it's supposedly also the best man's duty to decorate their car and/or hotel room during the reception (Michael's sells spray paint for this exact purpose...be careful opening it, so you don't make it explode all over you like our friend did). You can also host the after party. If you know other people in or invited to the wedding, you can coordinate with them to get what you need (it's easier if they're not technically in the wedding, as that day you're usually all busy running around). We used the bathtub as a cooler, which worked pretty well.

For the bachelor party, just do what he wants. Honestly, the bachelorette was wilder than the bachelor party, but that's what each of them wanted. The groom loved baseball, so they took him to see his favorite team and just hung out. They may have gone to a sports bar afterwards, but I can't remember.
Ah, the old toga party method! In my youth, my friend, in my youth! I used to party with one of my other buddies when he was at college. They tended to get a little rowdy.LOL........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 33,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Ah, the old toga party method! In my youth, my friend, in my youth! I used to party with one of my other buddies when he was at college. They tended to get a little rowdy.LOL........
Haha, it's quite effective. However, it did become an issue when he then drank far too much and needed to rinse off (another bad idea).

Old 01-04-2010, 04:47 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
have a good time, stay calm and ensure normalcy throughout the process for him. that is your job.

you also want to throw a bachelor party, but I prefer to delegate that to another groomsman. most people i know go bird hunting, or play golf. Spending money on greasy strippers is not a high priority unless somebody really demands it.

you should give a short toast, at some point in time that will be obvious to everyone involved. if you don't, that's ok too.

you will probably be an usher, and someone will explain that to you when the time comes.

you might be choreographed by someone in some fashion. they might make you all jump in the air simultaneously to take a photograph. you might sit in a small room witnessing a religious ritual you aren't familiar with, in a language you don't understand. you might need to spend money on a specific suit, or on a hotel room, or plane tickets to another part of the world- but I would not feel compelled to give a cash gift.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
OP, I know for many of my buddies, the best man is also in charge of making sure the bachelor doesn't do anything too stupid during his party.
This ^^^^^^

I've photographed a few hundred weddings. Way too many have grooms and groomsmen who are still sick from the night before, if not still drunk. I remember one best man who had black eyes and skinned knuckles from a fight the night before during the bachelor party. NOT a good idea.

The best man doesn't really have much to do. It's mostly a position of honor. The first link was good and covered it well. Basically, whatever the groom wants you to do.

I'd say the toast is the most important part of it. Add a little humor to it and you'll be in good shape. I've seen toasts last for a few minutes and others only a few seconds. My son was my best man for my last wedding. I don't remember what he said, but it was short, entertaining, and everyone raised their glasses when he said, "let's raise our glasses". (Don't forget to add that at the end of your toast. It's the purpose of a toast and makes for a good photo.)

Your gift needn't be any more than if you weren't his best man. $250 sounds very generous to me, but it depends on you and your buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I tried to talk my wife into togas for our wedding. The guys could have worn black or navy sheets, the bride a white sheet, and the bride's attendants pastels. It would have been cheaper than a bridal gown, bridesmaids gowns and tux rentals, and everyone would have had some nearly new sheets to take home. But mostly, they would have been comfortable! Alas, the groom never gets to make these decisions.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
This ^^^^^^

I've photographed a few hundred weddings. Way too many have grooms and groomsmen who are still sick from the night before, if not still drunk. I remember one best man who had black eyes and skinned knuckles from a fight the night before during the bachelor party. NOT a good idea.

The best man doesn't really have much to do. It's mostly a position of honor. The first link was good and covered it well. Basically, whatever the groom wants you to do.

I'd say the toast is the most important part of it. Add a little humor to it and you'll be in good shape. I've seen toasts last for a few minutes and others only a few seconds. My son was my best man for my last wedding. I don't remember what he said, but it was short, entertaining, and everyone raised their glasses when he said, "let's raise our glasses". (Don't forget to add that at the end of your toast. It's the purpose of a toast and makes for a good photo.)

Your gift needn't be any more than if you weren't his best man. $250 sounds very generous to me, but it depends on you and your buddy.

I tried to talk my wife into togas for our wedding. The guys could have worn black or navy sheets, the bride a white sheet, and the bride's attendants pastels. It would have been cheaper than a bridal gown, bridesmaids gowns and tux rentals, and everyone would have had some nearly new sheets to take home. But mostly, they would have been comfortable! Alas, the groom never gets to make these decisions.
Here is a little trick I learned off Myth Busters. Pour salt in with the ice and water and you will have the coldest drink (what ever it is) in no time. It can't get any colder and is almost frozen. Rugged

Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
It's your job to hook up with the hottest member of the bridal party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
OP, I know for many of my buddies, the best man is also in charge of making sure the bachelor doesn't do anything too stupid during his party.
I thought it was our job to make sure they did do something stupid?

Maybe that's just me.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Maybe that's just me.
Not if you want to score with a bridesmaid. Of course, you could make the groomsmen incite something stupid and then attempt to "fix it"

Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM

302 posts, read 607,859 times
Toga wedding...now that would be some FUN!!!

I don't understand why people feel the need to still practice the ritual of us women wearing those uncomfortable gowns & high heels...and poor guys having to wear tuxes or suits.

If NONE of it is comfortable, then why torture ourselves

My idea of a fun wedding....beach / casual wedding...swimsuits or shorts, sandals, etc - but now ya got me thinking about toga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
This ^^^^^^

Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish70 View Post
My idea of a fun wedding....beach / casual wedding...swimsuits or shorts, sandals, etc - but now ya got me thinking about toga's
On a beach? Sarongs. Over a bathing suit, or wrap them up toga-style, whatever goes. You could probably do a really good job with that and make it look really nice, if you wanted.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It's your job to hook up with the hottest member of the bridal party.

Maybe that's just me.
Stupid yes, wedding-called-off stupid? Probably never a good idea to bang Melissa Midwest let alone right before your wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings