Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,718,698 times

Advertisements

Actually, if the bride & groom already had established households, money for a honeymoon sounds like a great idea. It's better than receiving a bunch of stuff they don't need, which will have to be stored or returned. I do see a trend with some people though to be gift hogs...people who have multiple showers as well as those who invite an unreasonable number of folks to their weddings, so that they get as many gifts as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,408 times
Wow, this is a tricky question. My first response was "How so tacky!"
And then I thought, so, the couple registers, and then hopes that the gifts that are given also have gift-receipts so that gifts that are given but turn out to be ones they don't want to keep, can be returned for cash. So why not just cash in the first place.

I guess I've come around to saying that cash for a wedding present should be OK, but the couple shouldn't have said it was for their honeymoon. They should have just said that cash would be OK.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,283,689 times
Just a few months ago the over 30 year old daughter of one of my dear friends got married in a huge formal, white dress/black tie, country club reception wedding. The crux was the bride and groom had already established their household, as they had been living together for over 10 years. They did not register, but also asked for monetary gifts to pay for their honeymoon. You could even send your check directly to the travel agency. I thought the whole event was tacky then, I still think it is tacky now. So did many in our social circle, including to a certain extent the brides mother and aunts. Many people did give money, especially the younger ones. Our "girls group" as we call ourselves, gave the bride a beautiful hand stitched set of table linens that we all worked on. This is the same gift we have given to each daughter bride in our group. Each of us also sent a small monetary gift.

This event was over three months ago. As of Saturday (my mail has not run today) I have not recieved any form of thank you from the bridal couple (oral or written) even though I have seen this bride on two occasions publically. To my knowledge no one else who sent a gift (money or other) has received a thank you either.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Here's a whole thread on the subject http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...king-cash.html
Thanks, Thursday. Threads merged.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,738,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Actually, if the bride & groom already had established households, money for a honeymoon sounds like a great idea. It's better than receiving a bunch of stuff they don't need, which will have to be stored or returned. I do see a trend with some people though to be gift hogs...people who have multiple showers as well as those who invite an unreasonable number of folks to their weddings, so that they get as many gifts as possible.
You made me think of a wedding my husband and I were invited to some years ago. It was for two of his co-workers and the entire office as well as a guest per person were included. We were all invited by formal invitation.
When we all got there we were absolutely appalled....we were all invited as the "second shift" the wedding and reception had already taken place and the party had been in full force. Apparently we were all invited for a gift...Not one person was even offered a cheese and cracker.
None of us have ever gotten over that and it still comes up in conversation.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
You made me think of a wedding my husband and I were invited to some years ago. It was for two of his co-workers and the entire office as well as a guest per person were included. We were all invited by formal invitation.
When we all got there we were absolutely appalled....we were all invited as the "second shift" the wedding and reception had already taken place and the party had been in full force. Apparently we were all invited for a gift...Not one person was even offered a cheese and cracker.
None of us have ever gotten over that and it still comes up in conversation.
That's just appalling. What did the invitation say?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:52 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,029 times
I don't understand all the criticism and "tacky" comments.

In many, many cultures, including mine, cash is the expected gift. There is nothing tacky about it.
A gift is about what the couple needs, not what you feel like getting them.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It is incredibly rude to ask for gifts of any kind. Sorry. These are guests at your wedding, not its underwriters.

You said it best over a year ago

Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
Is there a polite way of requesting cash/gift cards instead of doing a registry and/or receiving other gifts?

how would this be worded exactly on the invitations?

I heard 'no wrapped gifts' as one option.

But basically, unless you put what you want the cash to go towards on a registry (like for a honeymoon or something), there's no way to make this not sound hugely tacky (because it is).

Wedding presents are supposed to help a young couple set up house. If you have already done that, then asking for extra presents seems kind of...I dunno...disgusting.

We asked for people to donate to our favorite charity if they really felt like they had to get us something.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
A gift is about what the couple needs, not what you feel like getting them.
Etiquette, at least in the US, says otherwise. Despite what some people think, the gift is not mandatory, and it is the guest's decision as to what to give. A gift registry is a suggestion, not a shakedown of one's guests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings