Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:46 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Well, according to Miss Manners/Emily Post/etc, you shouldn't say anything about gifts on the invitation itself. It's an invitation, not a shakedown. What you can do is let your family and friends know this tactfully, so that if anyone asks where you're registered they can say, "oh, they haven't registered anywhere, but they're saving for a down payment on a house." Or if you have a wedding website, put something there.
This. ^^^^^

Oh, this, a hundred times, this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Sorry, but any mention of money in any way, shape, or form is inappropriate. There is no getting around it.

The whole idea behind inviting someone to your wedding is so that they can share in your special day. It is not for you to soak your guests for money. If you want to do that, I'll suggest what Miss Manners suggests, which is to sit on a street corner jingling a cup.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
"Don't give us gifts, they don't mean jack
I'll only return them and get cash back
Save yourself the time and gas miles
Cash in an envelope is what brings us smiles"

By a little known poet named Seeniorita

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha - that was fantastic!

Or she could copy a picture of Cuba Gooding on the invitation with a little air bubble of him saying:

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
^Yeah, I know I couldn't do it--ask for money. But I know some people would rather others do that than let them spend money on something they don't need or want. No one likes their gifts returned. Who returns money? Not many, I'm sure.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
^Yeah, I know I couldn't do it--ask for money. But I know some people would rather others do that than let them spend money on something they don't need or want. No one likes their gifts returned. Who returns money? Not many, I'm sure.
If the couple wants money that badly, they can earn it by taking the time to return the gifts.

Although I will say that I must make an exception to my previous statement of not mentioning money at all: The only time it would ever be appropriate to mention cash on an invitation is to say, "In lieu of gifts, the couple requests that donations be made to [insert name of charity here--and I don't mean the names of the bride and groom]."

This is a giant peeve of mine, and if any couple I knew did it, it would guarantee that they get a breadbox from me, if I went to the wedding at all. Am I a guest or a bank?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Why don't you just send the guests a bill for the privilege of attending?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I am a fuddy-duddy. I disapprove of any mention at all of gifts anywhere on the invitation or enclosed with it. It's an invitation to a party.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
The more I think about this, the less it bothers me. Especially during these tough times. A lot of people are having a hard time. I'd be giving in the spirit of wanting it to be a blessing to them. Money is a blessing for many right now. I wouldn't be bothered by the request under these circumstances and depending on the way it was presented. Just not on the invitation.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Not a word is need for Rugged. That is the only gift I ever give. The gift that keeps on giving!!!
Rugged, down boy, down. We are not talking about getting into the bride's wedding dress during the wedding.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
It is incredibly rude to ask for gifts of any kind. Sorry. These are guests at your wedding, not its underwriters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings