Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM

512 posts, read 1,431,336 times

Advertisements

hello :-)
i'm an IT professional, 29, and about to be married...
i wanted to know if it's appropriate to invite a couple of collegues....including the boss (ie. CEO of small company) to the reception/wedding.
i haven't been at the company for long (about a year) but get along well with them (although always professional as far as our relationship).

the wedding is local. about 75 people total. mostly family and friends of family but a pretty diverse group.

please let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,045,943 times
Well, he/she might decline an invitation, but would be more likely to be offended by a snub. If anything, it's an opportunity for you to have a better relationship with your boss, not a worse one.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,298,832 times
75 people is a pretty small wedding. If you want to invite them, then invite them. But I don't think they'll feel snubbed if you don't invite them. Since they know you're getting married, if they ask you anything about the wedding just find a way to work in "yeah, it's going to be a pretty small wedding..."

Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
i wanted to know if it's appropriate to invite a couple of collegues....including the boss (ie. CEO of small company) to the reception/wedding.
i haven't been at the company for long (about a year) but get along well with them (although always professional as far as our relationship).

the wedding is local. about 75 people total. mostly family and friends of family but a pretty diverse group.

Yes.

By the way, don't write crappy code since your mind's been taken over by a wedding j/k

Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,179,026 times
I wouldn't invite the boss, unless you have been there for quite a while. I wouldn't want them finding out how long the honeymoon is, you don't want them thinking about what projects to assign to you after your R+R

Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,996,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post

Invite the boss, to do otherwise would be a sign of disrespect. At best the boss will accept, at worst the boss will politely decline.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,299,203 times
Just don't let him 'kiss the bride'.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,179,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Invite the boss, to do otherwise would be a sign of disrespect. At best the boss will accept, at worst the boss will politely decline.

I'm curious how it would be disrespectful? If he doesn't want to mix business with pleasure, that's his business..

Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,972,596 times
I think it depends on your office/boss. I worked in an office for only about 8 months and my boss was very personable and friendly - I would have totally invited her. I had/have other bosses I would not invite or even talk to my wedding about simply because we do not have that kind of relationship at work.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,996,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I'm curious how it would be disrespectful? If he doesn't want to mix business with pleasure, that's his business..
It's protocol, not inviting the boss indicates you don't think much of that person. Tell me, you are the boss, your subordinate is getting married and doesn't invite you - what does that say? Hey JordanJP, you may sign my paycheck, you may give me a raise/bonus, but I don't think much of you as a person. See how far you get at work. You can do stellar work and guess what, this comes into play and instead of a 10% raise, you get a 7% raise, while your cubicle mate gets 8%. And this is one of the things they don't teach you at school, but is taught at the school of "hard knocks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings