U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: norcal
609 posts, read 623,711 times
Reputation: 400
the last wedding i went to i couldnt figure this out either...i finally had settled on an outfit that was all black and thats what i was gonna wear. last minute i went in panic mode thinking it wouldnt be okay, so i wore a different top with black on bottom. when i got there, more then half the guests were wearing black lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
8,640 posts, read 14,278,087 times
Reputation: 21122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
the last wedding i went to i couldnt figure this out either...i finally had settled on an outfit that was all black and thats what i was gonna wear. last minute i went in panic mode thinking it wouldnt be okay, so i wore a different top with black on bottom. when i got there, more then half the guests were wearing black lol.
I suspect that something like that will be the case here too! LOL! I found a purple dress with matching jacket (that I already own) which is suitable for a wedding. No black in it! However, I prefer the black dress with floral jacket. So I still haven't made up mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM
 
1,777 posts, read 1,674,090 times
Reputation: 2935
I'm a NY'er, so I wear black to everything! Seriously though, the majority of the time I wear black to weddings. It is so easy to lighten up, snaz it up with a lovely pair of shoes, some nice jewlery, a scarf, etc. Go for it. Classic black is always so smart looking.

As a matter of fact, at one wedding I attended (in a short black dress, beautiful sling-back shoes, and a wonderful hat!), I had the priest come up to me and say "Only 2 other people look as good in black as you - Mick Jagger and myself!!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
8,640 posts, read 14,278,087 times
Reputation: 21122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I'm a NY'er, so I wear black to everything! Seriously though, the majority of the time I wear black to weddings. It is so easy to lighten up, snaz it up with a lovely pair of shoes, some nice jewlery, a scarf, etc. Go for it. Classic black is always so smart looking.

As a matter of fact, at one wedding I attended (in a short black dress, beautiful sling-back shoes, and a wonderful hat!), I had the priest come up to me and say "Only 2 other people look as good in black as you - Mick Jagger and myself!!".
LOL! Well, I don't think black is always the most flattering color for everyone, but I do think it may actually be the "classiest" and as you said, the most "smart looking." Just my personal opinion...others' mileage may differ! Personally, I wear a lot of color in my wardrobe, but there's usually some black involved somewhere even then! As I said in the OP, almost everything I own has some degree of black in it! I work here in a bank and the ladies that work with me and I always kinda laugh at the fact that we all wear so much black or black and white, it looks liked we coordinated it or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 PM
 
1,777 posts, read 1,674,090 times
Reputation: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
LOL! Well, I don't think black is always the most flattering color for everyone, but I do think it may actually be the "classiest" and as you said, the most "smart looking." Just my personal opinion...others' mileage may differ! Personally, I wear a lot of color in my wardrobe, but there's usually some black involved somewhere even then! As I said in the OP, almost everything I own has some degree of black in it! I work here in a bank and the ladies that work with me and I always kinda laugh at the fact that we all wear so much black or black and white, it looks liked we coordinated it or something!
Ha! Me too! I've said to the gals at work that we could sometimes pass for waitresses in our black and white get-ups! The worst was when I was wearing a black skirt and what I thought to be a trendy white top. Until I had one of the traders call me Sister Mary Margaret! Obviously he had the Dominican nuns teaching him at school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Plano, Texas
8,640 posts, read 14,278,087 times
Reputation: 21122
Well, the purple dress didn't work after all. So....it looks like the black dress with floral jacket is going to be the choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Denver area
16,913 posts, read 11,686,646 times
Reputation: 18853
I'm sure you'll look lovely! Enjoy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
4,146 posts, read 4,186,606 times
Reputation: 3632
I'd wear black to a wedding, but I'm a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 AM
 
Location: southwest TN
6,588 posts, read 6,879,800 times
Reputation: 10588
While I agree that it is acceptable, from a correctness pov, I have a personal problem with it. It's too somber -- for me. We had a garden party wedding and I specifically wrote on the invitations that "we are having a celebration and wish to have a party atmosphere. Please join us with happy colored clothing and leave your black at home."

But that's me and I wouldn't run around criticizing you or even make a comment about it. Oh heck, from the last few weddings I've been to, I think 80% of the women were in black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 11:08 AM
 
Location: New England
7,408 posts, read 5,039,773 times
Reputation: 9676
Since you're not one of the family, you'll probably never even have to see them again, right? It's not like Greta Aunt Matilda is going to remind you of your "mistake" at every family event. I think black mixed with the jacket or belt and all of the above posts is fine anyway. Have Fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top