Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,091 times

Advertisements

How does everyone feel about the future of Downtown West Palm?

I think City Place in WPB is the definition of a successful new urbanist project. I'd like to see it grow outwards with more residential and office space. I also think West Palm will definitely climb past 100,000 in the 2010 census, which is a major milestone.

All that new development over the past several years was great and all, but now it seems to have completely stopped. I know the housing market is in shambles, but do you think we will see renewed construction in the downtown West Palm area? I think it has the potential to become a thriving, walkable, medium sized city with a legitimate livable downtown, compared to the current downtown that becomes a ghost town after the workday, except for a 3 block stretch of clematis and a limited part of Cityplace.

Speaking of new development, does anyone know if and when they're starting construction on the old 1515 Tower site? The new building that was supposed to replace 1515 looked great, but I haven't heard a word about it in over a year.

How about Lakeview Centre, right off of Lakeview/Okeechobee? There's a big construction site there, but it sits empty. It's a very ambitious mixed use project that I'd love to see actually take root. http://primesitesfl.com/images/PDFs/primesites_LAKEVIEW_02.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 AM

162 posts, read 679,153 times
The former 1515 Tower site was approved for around 84 high-end condo units. I doubt they will come to market anytime soon, maybe in 2012 if the economy is in much better shape.

I can't see the Lakeview Tower project going forward as planned, at least not for another decade. There simply isn't that much demand for 300,000 sq ft of Class A office space or another 50,000 sq ft of retail. Great location though. I could eventually see it return back to all residential (maybe back to the old Opera Tower plans).

I am bullish on downtown West Palm as a whole. The new city amenities (waterfront, library, refurbished marina) are going to drive demand over the long-term. Those excess condo units at South Tower, City Palms and Two City Plaza are slowly being sold off, and I think retiree demand will pick up over the next few years.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,733,630 times
With a 15% property tax increase last year, and a just announced 13% increase this year PBC will be destined to become a ghost county.

While I also would like to see the "City" expand and grow, but the County leaders (sic) need to wake up and smell the roses.

I know I'm leaving ASAP, maybe before I have to pay the tax increase.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
With a 15% property tax increase last year, and a just announced 13% increase this year PBC will be destined to become a ghost county.

While I also would like to see the "City" expand and grow, but the County leaders (sic) need to wake up and smell the roses.

That's a bit dramatic. With assessed values down, overall payments in taxes should stay the same or drop. WPB increased its millage rate last year, but my taxes went down overall.

It's definitely not a good situation, but so long as I'm not paying MORE, I do not care..... they just have to make sure they remember to DROP the millage rates when values start assessing HIGHER in the future!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,091 times
Bumping an old thread of mine... any new updates on construction in downtown WPB? Anything interesting going up?

Still interested in seeing the 2010 census results when they come out for WPB.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanFL View Post
Bumping an old thread of mine... any new updates on construction in downtown WPB? Anything interesting going up?

Still interested in seeing the 2010 census results when they come out for WPB.
Actually, yes. The Digital Domain/FSU collaboration for a film school:

It's been approved by a city. Expected to be completed in a couple of years. If it comes to fruition as posed, it will not only be a really neat building for the downtown "skyscraper cluster," but has the potential of bringing more students downtown, which means greater vibrance, demand for condos, and hopefully spinoff business. I am cautiously optimistic, but these are the kinds of projects that need to be brought to the area, beyond more condos.

Oh, and it will help fill the empty "tent site," which is prime downtown space.

Digital Domain pitches animation college | South Florida Business Journal

West Palm Beat blog | The Palm Beach Post » Digital Domain

Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,354 times
I am looking for a condo in WPB. My main question is, what is the deal with the freight trains?? It seems you can't get away from it. I want to be near City Place but all of it is next to the tracks. Locals - what are your thoughts about the tracks? Do only the out of towners buy in places like City Palms?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird Wannabe View Post
I am looking for a condo in WPB. My main question is, what is the deal with the freight trains?? It seems you can't get away from it. I want to be near City Place but all of it is next to the tracks. Locals - what are your thoughts about the tracks? Do only the out of towners buy in places like City Palms?
There are buildings and locations in specific buildings that you can buy in to limit any exposure to train noise.

The east side of (most) buildings will typically have less.

I didn't have much issues with train noise living in the Metropolitan, and I assume on the east side of the building there'd be even less noise.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post

I thought West Palm Beach city was a thriving cultural center! heck you even have a Wally Findlay art gallery! Does it really close up at night? I have'nt been there in years - the last place in FLorida I visited was Coral Gables and that place was fabulous - at night everybody dressed up - the restaurants were full and many couples just strolled along the avenue - it was delightful..is West Palm Beach that different?

And where do you plan on moving to if I might ask to avoid your tax increase?

Thanks! I am thinking or moving to FLorida from TN - BTW we have cheap taxes property taxes here in Nashville area!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
I thought West Palm Beach city was a thriving cultural center! heck you even have a Wally Findlay art gallery! Does it really close up at night? I have'nt been there in years - the last place in FLorida I visited was Coral Gables and that place was fabulous - at night everybody dressed up - the restaurants were full and many couples just strolled along the avenue - it was delightful..is West Palm Beach that different?

And where do you plan on moving to if I might ask to avoid your tax increase?

Thanks! I am thinking or moving to FLorida from TN - BTW we have cheap taxes property taxes here in Nashville area!

Personally I don't think its as bad as some people say it is. There is definite nightlife on the weekends (Thurs-Sun).... but it's not South Beach by any stretch. I have seen more businesses move in in the past couple of months. I don't think the average person would or should be bored unless they are moving from a much larger city.

I liken WPB to be a "big small town."

It's more affordable than it has been in years, but property taxes and insurance will be more than Nashville, sorry! (Though no income tax, so if you're self employed or make a decent income, it will offset some of that living expense... plus property taxes are a fed tax deduction...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach