Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:53 AM

7 posts, read 14,785 times

Advertisements

First of all, I wanna say that this forum is AWESOME!! I've gained so much insight and knowledge from reading all of these threads, this info is priceless! It is so difficult nowadays to get any reliable information, it is nice to know that people that live in this area share their honest opinions.

So, I want to move to WPB!! I've been to FL many times, but have really taken a liking to WPB. The last time I was there was about 8 years ago, so I'm sure that a lot has changed. I AM planning a trip in a few weeks to go check things out, and to check out neighborhoods. Here I am, coming to you guys for advice and guidance

My girlfriend and I are in our late 20's. She bartends/serves (so I'm hoping she finds work down there quickly), and I.......well I'm retired lol. We are looking to be amongst a younger crowd (by that i mean not all retirees), we would like to be close to amenities (grocery stores, shopping, malls, restaurants, bars, etc etc), a nice neighborhood (low crime, NEWER homes/community, a well maintained area, and AS CLOSE as we can be to the water. I'm looking to spend about $200-$220k, I'd really like to not have to take out a mortgage, but I want to make sure that all/most of our wants are met.

I'm hoping you guys can help point us to the right areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,694 times
A townhouse in Abacoa or the Gardens sounds like a good fit for your situation. You can get around 18-2000 sqft, newer construction (03+), and it's in close distance to a lot of fun activities, good shopping, and restaurants.
Congrats on retiring! lol She shouldn't have any problem finding a bar-restaurant job, there are plenty to chose from. Actually a couple new places are coming up at Downtown at the Gardens that should make great $$
At 250k you can get one in the middle of Downtown West Palm too.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 AM

239 posts, read 474,012 times
Sky: heading towards that area for a weekend at some point. Which new places (name?) are coming up downtown @ Gardens to dine in? thank you

Old 04-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Are there certain areas that I should stay away from?? How's Riviera Beach, North Palm Beach, Lake Worth?? I've heard that I should stay EAST of I-95, but I thought someone was saying the Okeechobee/Jog Rd area was nice to?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 PM

14 posts, read 64,321 times
I lived in WPB for 5 years, in downtown cityplace then moved to the S'burbs.

Anyways, Porto Sol in Royal Palm Beach have a decent gated community. Theres so many parks to choose from if you life GOlf and Tennis.

Downtown Palm beach Gardens are nice imo, especially the movie theater they have there. The Cost of living in that area are very high.... but since the cost of living is high and yoour neighbor will have good credit and good job etc...

you should stay away from east Lake Worth! the best area in my opinions are all the way WEST in Palm beach county area. I know it might be a drive.... but you wont see any helicopters every night just to hunt down drug dealer.

PM me for more info if you want.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra1007 View Post
Sky: heading towards that area for a weekend at some point. Which new places (name?) are coming up downtown @ Gardens to dine in? thank you
Don't think they are open yet. They are putting in a martini bar, and a super club style restaurant. Both should be really nice.
There's around 100 restaurants on the PGA strip so I don't think you'll have any problem finding a place to eat.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2011 View Post
Are there certain areas that I should stay away from?? How's Riviera Beach, North Palm Beach, Lake Worth?? I've heard that I should stay EAST of I-95, but I thought someone was saying the Okeechobee/Jog Rd area was nice to?
The most problematic areas are Riviera Beach (except maybe Singer Island), and Northern West Palm Beach bordering Riviera Beach is mostly no good. I actually really like eastern Lake Worth a lot. Tons of potential, some neighborhoods are really really nice (especially east of Federal Highway). Some people will find it too "transitional" lol.

I differ with what a lot of conventional advice is, but that's because you couldn't pay me enough to live way out west in Palm Beach County. I love the downtowns, the water, the amenities of being east. Out west is typically the newer suburbs, gated developments, less expensive, less urban, sprawly.... but I absolutely have no patience for it. If I was going to go suburban I'd check out Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter... at least those areas are on the coast.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 PM

239 posts, read 474,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Don't think they are open yet. They are putting in a martini bar, and a super club style restaurant. Both should be really nice.
There's around 100 restaurants on the PGA strip so I don't think you'll have any problem finding a place to eat.

Oh I know! jUST LOOKING for the latest! )

Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The most problematic areas are Riviera Beach (except maybe Singer Island), and Northern West Palm Beach bordering Riviera Beach is mostly no good. I actually really like eastern Lake Worth a lot. Tons of potential, some neighborhoods are really really nice (especially east of Federal Highway). Some people will find it too "transitional" lol.

I differ with what a lot of conventional advice is, but that's because you couldn't pay me enough to live way out west in Palm Beach County. I love the downtowns, the water, the amenities of being east. Out west is typically the newer suburbs, gated developments, less expensive, less urban, sprawly.... but I absolutely have no patience for it. If I was going to go suburban I'd check out Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter... at least those areas are on the coast.
I agree with all this. That is why I wasn't looking at Wellington or Royal Palm Beach. Even for the safety. I like being near the beach and all the amentities. I was looking at being near the Palm Beach airport. Do you think the area is safe? I used to live in that area when I was younger for about 5 years. Back then, the trump golf court was just being built. I have no idea how it is now. What do you think?! BTW, thanks for all the help and advice you've been giving me!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 AM

What do you guys think of Cityside and Cityplace?? Also, what about the community "Terracina?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach