Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,024,513 times

Advertisements

Recently, I was in South Florida and I was looking for a condo. I can't believe the RE agent sent me some info to look at and the area was really run down and rough looking~! Are there some good areas of South Florida which you could leave your door opened and feel safe~? Not that I would, but want something safe enough that I can walk my dog in the day or even the night. Is there any place that is dog friendly~? A lot of places I know aren't dog friendly. I know how to get around South Florida and been to most area too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,882,845 times
Perhaps the problem is the price range you are looking in. What is your price range?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
Perhaps the problem is the price range you are looking in. What is your price range?
That is personal and I don't discuss personal issues on the pc. I think people don't keep up their property won't be able to sell and that could be a reason why it won't sell~!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,314,236 times
There are tons of dog friendly places in South Florida. Tons of safe places in South Florida.

I think ssculow's question is important, because if your realtor sent you to a bad area, it may mean they either a) are a terrible realtor, or b) are a terrible realtor who doesnt know how to work with what you got, or c) your price point ... rental or purchase? ... may be limiting your options.

Also, when you say "South Florida," I think the entire 5 million people + metro area. Since you are in the Palm Beach forum, is it just Palm Beach County that you're looking in?

Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
There are tons of dog friendly places in South Florida. Tons of safe places in South Florida.
I've heard that there are numerous of condo's that don't allow dogs at all. One RE lady took me to a fairly nice one, but the inside wasn't so nice inside. That one was in Delray. The next RE person gave me a listing of various properties and I chose one that looked decent from the photos, but when I got there it was run down the people there looked rough. The area around it was nicer. That was in Deerfield. Another RE lady took me to a nice one in Boynton. Inside was a disaster since it was in foreclosure. They were looking for Chinese drywall so there was a big ole hole in the wooden panel next to the floorboard in the main room and bathroom. That was in better condition that the other one which was a disaster from smoking cigarettes, missing screen on porch, etc. This was in Boynton. Anyways, I was looking to purchase. I don't want to put big bucks into the place, like a gated community or anything extravagant since I won't be living there permanently.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,384,369 times
Here's a typical mistake buyers make in this market. You are using multiple realtors expecting them to find the perfect property on the first round, instead of finding one realtor that you like and being very descriptive of what you are looking for with them. It can take a few trips out before you find the right property. A good realtor should listen to what you are looking for and be able to use their expertise to narrow in on what will work best for you.
The other thing is if you are expecting to find a perfect property in a lower price range, say under 100k, you may have to adjust your expectations a little, or allow yourself a repair budget. If a property is nice, and in good shape in this range it will usually sell in within a week. Which brings me back to my first point of having a good realtor to keep an eye on the market for you. When something good comes up you can jump on it.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Here's a typical mistake buyers make in this market. You are using multiple realtors expecting them to find the perfect property on the first round, instead of finding one realtor that you like and being very descriptive of what you are looking for with them. It can take a few trips out before you find the right property. A good realtor should listen to what you are looking for and be able to use their expertise to narrow in on what will work best for you.
The 1st RE lady told me that she can only show me property in Delray since that is her expertise. If I want a property in another area, I need to locate another RE person. Also, she mentioned she couldn't show me any property that wasn't in X amount of $.

Quote:
The other thing is if you are expecting to find a perfect property in a lower price range, say under 100k, you may have to adjust your expectations a little, or allow yourself a repair budget.
I know things can't be in perfect shape and some repair work would need to be done, and that isn't a problem. Now, I am not prejudice but I live in an all white neighborhood and the one that was run down had a lot of dark people there. Here the dark people live in one area and the white another area. Not all, but most do live in another area. The area that was really run down in Deerfield had a lot of dark people there. This may not sound good to you or anyone on this board, but I have property I am dealing with here locally and what I have seen and experienced with, I don't want to deal with this.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:06 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,882,845 times
South Florida is nothing like Kentucky. This article regarding the 2010 census explains very well the rapidly changing demographics of urban areas in the Southeast. 2010 Census: More Blacks in South Moving to Suburbs (http://newstalk1079.com/2011/03/17/2010-census-more-blacks-in-south-moving-to-suburbs.html - broken link) One of the great things about South Florida is the diverse cultural make-up of the population. People who are not able to embrace the reality of this fact, probably will not be happy owning property there. It has been my experience that the condition of someone's property has more to do with their economic standard of living and whether the property is owner occupied, than with the color of their skin.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,799,488 times
Hi. Even when I was looking in an upscale areas many of the insides of the condo were run down and needed major work. It seemed the owner bought it 20 years ago and had not did anything to it since.
Many realtors here deal more with a specific city or area then others so they tend to push that.
I am not that familiar with Delray and Deerfield but to me there is such a mix of good and bad areas. Often a mile apart it can go from good to bad.
From what I found a lot is luck here in finding a good deal and in good condition. I some some condos that were priced higher then others and in worse condition then much less expensive.
I would go on realtor.com and put in your price range and city. Then call the listing agent and also explain you would be interested in similar to that listing also. Also when you go look at the property make sure to drive around the area in every direction.
Are you planning on buying right away or to rent first? This is my opinion but I think you should rent first. It allows you to get a feel for the different areas. If you can rent where you would possibly like to buy it is even better. Often you may find things you hate about the place and until you live there you can't really know

Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Many realtors here deal more with a specific city or area then others so they tend to push that.
That is why I mentioned in a previous post how the RE lady told me "if I wanted to look in another area I need to find someone. Her expertise was in one specific area".

Quote:
there is such a mix of good and bad areas. Often a mile apart it can go from good to bad.
I know that since I have been there before and noticed how you drive to one area which is nice and not far away isn't a good area.

Quote:
Also when you go look at the property make sure to drive around the area in every direction.
I did and I can tell a good area from a bad area. One of the properties the 1st RE lady gave me to check out, I happen to drive to a "half-way house". Both had the same address. Anyways, I'm planning to buy when the right property clicks with me. I was in Florida this time for a month and last summer for over 2 weeks. I drove a lot and know my way around and feel comfortable in the Palm Beach County. How is it on the other side, like the Gulf~? Is it similar and easy to find your way around like it is on the Atlantic side~?

Quote:
South Florida is nothing like Kentucky
I know that.

Quote:
People who are not able to embrace the reality of this fact, probably will not be happy owning property there. It has been my experience that the condition of someone's property has more to do with their economic standard of living and whether the property is owner occupied, than with the color of their skin.
I know that Florida is a melting pot of cultures and I am comfortable with all races and religions. But what I saw looked like Section 8 housing what I saw. I don't know if you call that there for low-income housing. Those folks sure know how to not tear stuff up but to have frequent visits from the cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach