Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 AM

46 posts, read 73,472 times

Advertisements

I'm at the beginning of my research, for a possible move, from upstate NY to Florida. We work at home, so employment is not an issue. Our kids are out of high school, so schools are also a non-issue. We will be looking around during August, but I'm trying to pre-scope out potential towns and areas.

I'm looking at Lake Worth at realtor.com, as far east as possible, for < $300k, and see these, which each strike my fancy for different reasons:
6613 Paul Mar Dr, 33462
3060 Springfield, 33461

Can anyone tell me anything about either of these areas? (I realize that these houses may be sold by the time I'm ready to buy, but I'm trying to wrap my head around generalities)

For the Paul Mar Drive address: We are not interested in extensive boating, but thought it might be a nice plus to have access from the house to minor recreational boating activities, for when our kids come to visit (and later on with their families). And we'd prefer not to have a pool.

I see a dock in the photos, and the description says boating is possible.... but I don't see any boats. Are the water bodies used? Or is it 'possible' but not done by anyone, and, if so, why?

I see so many small bodies of water in the east coast of Florida. Do folks have a lot of trouble with mosquitoes when they live right alongside one of the waterbodies?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times
The Paul Mar Drive house is in a much better location. Frankly, I would scratch the Springfield location off your list.

Be aware of higher insurance premiums and the need for flood insurance if you live RIGHT ON the water, however.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM

22 posts, read 53,557 times
Springfield location is crap. My best friend lives across the street from there. Nothing special about that area.

Paul Mar Dr you would have access to Lake Osborn (fresh water). There is a huge park there that you can take your boat or JetSki to and BBQ.

You're right about being as far east as possible. I would try and find a place east of i95 in a decent area. The Paul Mar Dr isn't bad though. There's a driving range down the street if you golf.

Have you drivin around the areas on google maps? (street view)

Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't exactly driven around the areas on google maps with the street view; just individual houses. That's a good suggestion - I'll try the remote drive-thru.

College Park seems nice... I like houses from the 1950s-1970s.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpaper View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't exactly driven around the areas on google maps with the street view; just individual houses. That's a good suggestion - I'll try the remote drive-thru.

College Park seems nice... I like houses from the 1950s-1970s.

College Park is very nice, especially east of Federal. In Lake Worth, also check out the Parrot Cove neighborhood.

Also, Southend West Palm Beach is nice, east of Dixie Highway, as is Historic West Palm Beach (East of Parker between Okeechobee and Belvedere, and East of Dixie Between Belvedere and city limits).

Old 05-18-2011, 10:18 AM

^ Exactly. all of those hoods are great and you would have the town feeling. Check out Old Northwood (north WPB city limits towards the water)

Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 PM

mmmm.... revealing my TOTAL ignorance of Florida here.
So let's say I'm living in College Park or Parrot Cove. And my grown daughters come to visit with friends or, later one, their young families.

And they want to go to the beach. Are beaches public?

Where do they go?

Is there a park or place to sit/walk near Lake Worth, or does the lake butt-up to the houses as private property?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 AM

There are plenty of parks and public beaches in the area.

Closest beaches to your suggested area would be Lake Worth Beach, Phipps Ocean Park, it's a nice drive to Boynton inlet and Ocean Ridge if you take A1A. The town of Palm Beach has a huge public beach right of famous Worth Ave.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 AM

179 posts, read 564,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpaper View Post
mmmm.... revealing my TOTAL ignorance of Florida here.
So let's say I'm living in College Park or Parrot Cove. And my grown daughters come to visit with friends or, later one, their young families.

And they want to go to the beach. Are beaches public?

Where do they go?

Is there a park or place to sit/walk near Lake Worth, or does the lake butt-up to the houses as private property?
Aprox. 10-15 min. over the Lake Woth or Southern Blvd bridge to the beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach