Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM

368 posts, read 928,897 times

Advertisements

I had posted a few weeks ago about things to do with my dad in South Florida and was concerned about the heat, his ability to walk (has had a history of gout), etc. Come to find out that after I warned him that he'd be spending a day with DH's rather boisterous family from Brazil (and I think EVERYONE is visiting) because DH was concerned about my dad being overwhelmed, my dad thinks we're B-O-R-I-N-G and he wrote it just like that! lol! He said he was kidding and loved us and the kids so whatever we wanted to do (or not do) was fine, but my brother then filled me in that my dad had said "Whenever I visit, all we do is watch TV." Dad had sworn my brother to secrecy when he complained about that, but the last time my Dad visited, my 20-month-old was an infant and although we went out a few times to either dinner or a park, we admittedly didn't do much because I was still b-feeding and my dad has always given us the impression with his various ailments that he was perfectly comfortable dozing off on the couch after a meal.

So now it's on like Donkey Kong! July 4th weekend is going to be action packed (within reason I guess!). Since my dad sees plays/musicals pretty frequently in NYC, I want to get a babysitter and see a family show either in Ft Lauderdale or Miami, go to the aquarium, get out and about. I wish the circus was in town because we could do that. My brother said he stopped being cautious around my dad a long time ago and my dad sat outside in 80-90 degree weather watching my niece's gymnastics meet without a complaint. Now 80 degrees up north is not the same as summer down here so I don't want to knock him out, but I'm not tiptoeing around anymore! What's a good family show (that a 4 1/2 year old could see)? Any other ideas of what to do in Miami? I'm considering the seaquarium too. The Palm Beach Zoo is out - it's too hot for all that walking.

Thanks for info! Boring! Harrumph!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 PM

330 posts, read 599,186 times
wow! you better get shakin'

Old 06-18-2011, 06:56 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Not in Miami but I think Lion Country Safari in WP is nice for an 88 year old or a 4 year old. You go through a lot of it in the car.
As for plays I am not sure. I love them too but usually the summer time brings less of them. Have you looked online for ones that may be coming?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM

368 posts, read 928,897 times
Thanks Daniella, we thought of Lion Country Safari but it would mean 2 cars since it's the 4 of us in our sedan and his rental car unless we split up among both cars... plus DH isn't crazy about the expense but we may still do it.

I did look into the shows but nothing is going on the weekend of the 4th. All the great family shows are starting later this year. I even looked for Blue Man Group since I heard they stop in Miami now and again, but no luck. I'm thinking the Miami Children's Museum and/or the Aquarium. Alternatives are the Museum of Science & Discovery in Ft Lauderdale so we all don't have to travel so far. The Science Museum next the zoo is ok, but not great. We may still check it out.

We're also thinking of renting a minivan so that we can all fit for the weekend without us having to drive everywhere in 2 cars but yet again, more $ unless we can find a good rental deal for the weekend...

Old 06-22-2011, 02:06 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I think I saw a coupon for Lion Country Safari at Publix. I am not sure the discount though. Also my grandfather of similar age goes to comedy clubs though I am not sure where. When my mom was in town we were going to go to Ft Lauderdale to IMAX theater. They have animal type 3d on that larger screen. Not sure if he would enjoy that.
Rental cars are sometimes cheaper by the airport then in a city like Boca for ex too.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 PM

154 posts, read 388,691 times
I love Lion Safari WPB
Take him to Hooters Ft Lauderdale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach