Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
alright, basically what im trying to say is Palm beach county is for winners sounds ridiculous.

whats a winner anyway? LOL
like it just sounds tacky.
Hey...lol...maybe he's Charlie Sheen!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
alright, basically what im trying to say is Palm beach county is for winners sounds ridiculous.

whats a winner anyway? LOL
like it just sounds tacky.
hahah +1

AND if Palm Beach was TRUELY for "winners" Tiger Blood would be more readily available.

I HAVE noticed more and more that Palm Beach is for whiners though.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:00 PM

11 posts, read 39,586 times
Without agreeing or disagreeing with any of the OP's points, I will just say that the content of the original post represents every reason why I am moving my family out of South Florida as soon as humanly possible.

We will leave this overheated mini New York swampland to the "bi-winning" people...

It's a shame that Florida has turned from the quaint seaside getaway of my childhood to a place overrun
with high rise condos, conspicuous consumption and the rudest and most aggressive people I have met on any continent (and I lived in NYC!)

The original post represents what this country is decaying into...

Old 10-11-2011, 05:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Winners? Hahaha.

Really what it is is a good place to retire if you "WON" SOMEWHERE ELSE, like Chicago or NYC where there's an actual business climate with a lot of big companies that actually do stuff. PBC is full of retirees and vacationers and second/third/fourth home owners from up north but they don't spend much money in FL--retirees might have a lot of cash but they don't want to spend it, and vacationers are cheap too and aren't in FL for very long before they have to go back up north. Tourism just doesn't provide a lot of money to the economy and doesn't provide good paying jobs, at least in Florida. The zillionaires in PBC never leave their enclave of Palm Beach so unless you own a business in Palm Beach and sell things to them, you aren't benefitting from their presence.

As a result somewhere like PBC just doesn't have much of a local economy despite being a big suburban sprawl. Most people with money in PBC made it elsewhere. There's lawyers and doctors and accountants in PBC who do well because there's always a demand for services like that, but past that there aren't really any engines of the economy. Most available jobs are in retail paying minimum wage which is no way to buy a house or raise a family. If you want better, you pretty much have to go to another state.

I think PBC would be a good place for businesses to relocate to if they wanted to try it. It's very developed in terms of amenities--i.e. it ain't rural Florida or rural Georgia--and doesn't have a lot of traffic (yet) so it's pretty easy to get around. However, rental prices are still high compared with other parts of the South. Schools are not great in Florida, most overachieving local students go to college up north or out west and stay up there because they can get better entry-level jobs outside of FL. So there's not much of an educated local workforce. Also I think a lot of companies like to be "close to the action" and FL in general and PBC specifically are kind of isolated from the rest of the US, and PBI isn't really a great airport for getting around the US.

Until a real economy gets built in PBC that provides lots of decent jobs making a wide variety of income levels, it's going to keep being a low-wage, high-rent place. Not a place for "winners."

Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 AM

122 posts, read 314,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Winners? Hahaha.

Really what it is is a good place to retire if you "WON" SOMEWHERE ELSE, like Chicago or NYC where there's an actual business climate with a lot of big companies that actually do stuff. PBC is full of retirees and vacationers and second/third/fourth home owners from up north but they don't spend much money in FL--retirees might have a lot of cash but they don't want to spend it, and vacationers are cheap too and aren't in FL for very long before they have to go back up north. Tourism just doesn't provide a lot of money to the economy and doesn't provide good paying jobs, at least in Florida. The zillionaires in PBC never leave their enclave of Palm Beach so unless you own a business in Palm Beach and sell things to them, you aren't benefitting from their presence.

As a result somewhere like PBC just doesn't have much of a local economy despite being a big suburban sprawl. Most people with money in PBC made it elsewhere. There's lawyers and doctors and accountants in PBC who do well because there's always a demand for services like that, but past that there aren't really any engines of the economy. Most available jobs are in retail paying minimum wage which is no way to buy a house or raise a family. If you want better, you pretty much have to go to another state.

I think PBC would be a good place for businesses to relocate to if they wanted to try it. It's very developed in terms of amenities--i.e. it ain't rural Florida or rural Georgia--and doesn't have a lot of traffic (yet) so it's pretty easy to get around. However, rental prices are still high compared with other parts of the South. Schools are not great in Florida, most overachieving local students go to college up north or out west and stay up there because they can get better entry-level jobs outside of FL. So there's not much of an educated local workforce. Also I think a lot of companies like to be "close to the action" and FL in general and PBC specifically are kind of isolated from the rest of the US, and PBI isn't really a great airport for getting around the US.

Until a real economy gets built in PBC that provides lots of decent jobs making a wide variety of income levels, it's going to keep being a low-wage, high-rent place. Not a place for "winners."
A very insightful post. There was a time when the southern part of the county was a high tech draw but it is no longer. With those industries, PBC at least had decent paying positions but due to a myriad of factors that sector has withered to practically nothing. The economic activity you describe is the bulk of the economy of the county. A services and medical economy that is not very broad. What you essentially have left is a group whose largess is confined to a very narrow portion of the local economy (services, medical, retail/luxury retail)

Old 10-12-2011, 01:52 PM

114 posts, read 449,319 times
I think the original poster's intent was to make a political statement. I'm not so sure the 99% think any part of Florida is for winners. I'm also not sure that this is place for this type of debate.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:59 PM

623 posts, read 1,303,100 times
I'm not sure it's the place to debate here either. Maybe time to close the post?

Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM

25 posts, read 106,398 times
PalmBeachQuestions,

You are correct in that we have no income tax here in Florida. In many ways, it is less to live here than other states. However, we have a tangible and intangible tax as well as pretty decent property taxes ( in the range of roughly 2% give or take, depending on whether you homestead the property.) So while it may be less, they still get you on some things.

South Florida is a beautiful place to live. Palm Beach is idyllic. Although we don't have the four seasons, it is an easy way of life down here. Most people adapt rather quickly.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 AM

584 posts, read 1,688,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
We're taking the heat over the cold, damp, rainy, windy, humid northeast any day. Grey skies that linger for days, buh bye.
Agree !

Those who complain about the heat in South Florida might want to experience one cold winter in Canada, a winter in Canada usually lasts from 4 to 5 months.

Grey skies, white snow, dark snow: It looks like we see through the eyes of dogs, no blue skies, trees that shed all their leaves ... Boring !

Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 AM

623 posts, read 1,303,100 times
Boring, depressing and dark. Not my cup of tea. We'll take August in Florida anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach