Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 PM

224 posts, read 319,789 times

Advertisements

riviera beach isn't a bad nabe at all, 95% of the posters on this thread are drama queens. it certainly isn't detroit, new orleans, oakland, etc.

it's not a dangerous place to live, unless you're looking for trouble and have zero common sense.

there's actually a huge revitailization project going on along dixie, they're really cleaning up that part of town. the progress is spreading out to blue herron as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:07 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,348,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
riviera beach isn't a bad nabe at all, 95% of the posters on this thread are drama queens. it certainly isn't detroit, new orleans, oakland, etc.

it's not a dangerous place to live, unless you're looking for trouble and have zero common sense.

there's actually a huge revitailization project going on along dixie, they're really cleaning up that part of town. the progress is spreading out to blue herron as well.
Yeah right...

2012 violent crime rates

Riviera Beach - 1,321 violent crimes per 100,000 residents
United States - 386.9 violent crimes per 100,000 residents

That's according to the FBI. That place is no good.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 PM

16,984 posts, read 21,655,592 times
Quote:

ummmmm......no. RB sucks!

A daylight driveby is not exactly living there. There are too many people with nothing to lose living there, heck they killed the ice cream man for less than $40!

Fresnel Atilus, affectionately known in Lake Park as the ice cream man, was found dead Dec. 3, 2008, from five gunshot wounds just two blocks from his home. Atilus, 32, his wife and six children had moved here from Haiti. Frank Collins, who was 16 at the time of Atilus’ murder, was sentenced to life in prison Thursday.
21-year-old sentenced to life in prison for Lake Park ice... | www.palmbeachpost.com

Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 PM

the sad reality in america is there's an elevated amount of black-on-black crime. it almost exclusively involves criminal elements.

i've lived in lots of truly dangerous parts of the world, riviera beach isn't one of them.

there will always be some one-off senseless story, should people not live in aurora colorado due to the risks of mass shootings?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,348,715 times
Quote:
i've lived in lots of truly dangerous parts of the world, riviera beach isn't one of them.

there will always be some one-off senseless story, should people not live in aurora colorado due to the risks of mass shootings?
If we are comparing Riviera Beach to some place in Venezuela or Africa, then that might be a different story. But at the same time, that's not a reason to sugarcoat (for example, why sugarcoat Detroit's problems if it's not as bad as Juarez?) Anyways, RB's violent crime rate isn't so far off from Oakland or N.O.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 PM

438 posts, read 649,835 times
Quote:

LOLOL. Come on, man. That place is totally 'ghetts'. I am not a drama queen, and I would neither live there nor recommend it to anyone.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
LOLOL. Come on, man. That place is totally 'ghetts'. I am not a drama queen, and I would neither live there nor recommend it to anyone.
poor riviera beach, it's the redheaded stepchild of s. florida

the entire place isn't all that bad though, as west palm beach continues to develop i'm sure it'll get better over time. there's already all that activity in northwood village, plus some exciting new projects around 45th street.

with lake park to the north, and the continuing growth of jupiter/palm beach gardens/etc., the longer-term outlook looks ok.

i'm sure the demographics will start to shift as well, more latinos will start moving in.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM

438 posts, read 649,835 times
Quote:
more latinos will start moving in.

More Latinos moving in is the solution to nothing. The Tampa, Orlando, and Miami areas are proof of this. I've seen the same thing in many other places where I've lived over the years, especially in parts of California, Arizona, and Texas. Its not the racial background of the people who move there that matter. What's much more important are the qualities that people who move there bring to the area. Will they be educated professionals and/or investors who will provide needed services, open up new businesses, employ people, pay taxes, and lift up the community. Or will they be more illegal alien stragglers who live 20 to a house and turn the area into another sprawling ghetto? Let's hope its not the latter.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:45 PM

602 posts, read 568,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahambrunk View Post
Actually THX, the further west you go in the city proper the worse. The further east you go the better it gets in Riviera Beach, remember Singer Island is apart of Riviera Beach. Now unincorporated areas west of Riviera Beach proper, which carry West Palm Beach or Palm Beach Gardens addresses are fine. Also Lake Park is decent inexpensive alternative to Riviera Beach.
A general rule of thumb for Florida: the further inland you go, the worse it gets.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:52 AM

1,503 posts, read 599,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
A general rule of thumb for Florida: the further inland you go, the worse it gets.
Nope. General rule in Palm Beach is: west of Jog rd is more or less ok, east of Jog till islands is not ok.
Although I liked Plan Beach Gardens

As for OP: $50K/y for two in my view is below poverty anywhere in US. For $100K combined you'll be balancing on the edge in Palm Beach, but it would be doable. As for RB - donno, I occasionally drive via Blue Heron & I95 (love Floor&Decor there), and don't see that much of an issue. I mean, I wouldn't want to live there, but see no problem driving through.

Generally, there more north you go, the cheaper housing (if you not getting close to islands ). Concur with what was said about Stuart and Port St Lucy - they got nice areas, but pretty far from RB.

In WPB proximity area there are quite nice communities west of Jog rd.

Boca is good but crazy expensive and houses are somewhat old (>20-30 y/o). It also has one of the largest Jewish communities in US - for some people it's very good, for some very bad, for most it's irrelevant, so I just mention it here just in case it's of any importance to you.

Delray is ok west of Jog, but has tons of old people. And I mean, really old - think nursing homes.
Boynton Beach is more like ... nothing special in any regard. Not too safe, not too dangerous, not too bad, not too nice. Just ... average. Which might be a good thing, actually.

I personally live in Wellington and think it's great (I'm in Olympia community), but for 100K it would be ... a stretch. 100K is about 6300-6400/mo after tax. House payments with almost zero down, 30yr, current rates, taxes at 1.75%, etc will be ~2600-$2700 for the cheapest house here. That's 41% IDR - doable (if needed, I have company info that helped me to get super good loan with 49.99% IDR ), but hard. As for apartments - I don't even know if they exist here.

WPB itself - don't even look at it. RB is great compared to it I just drove through it north to south in last week - OMG! That was scary

Further south from Wellington to Boca is all ok if you stay west of Jog. Again, seems like not many apartments (if any at all) are in safe areas, which is totally understandable, but still inconvenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach