Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM

229 posts, read 533,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
First your response is very rude. How do you figure that when TO has many schools that are 10? Really very few people would rather live and send their kids to Boca Schools compared to Thousand Oaks. Thousand Oaks is considered one of the safest cities and most desirable for families.
Having lived in Boca and have family there even the best wealthiest neighborhood in Boca is not as safe as TO.
When I look up the ratings the Boca schools are rated better, and I only see one school rated a "10" for Thousand Oaks (that is hardly "many"). Boca Raton High School is rated better than Thousand Oaks High School even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulueore View Post
California has a history of bieng a significant wealth creator, and civic leader. Florida has a history as a place no one dared to live in until air conditioning was invented. And it's history afterward is mixed.
Is that why California is $132 billion in debt?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,933 times
Florida can't even release its own internal schools grades because the state doesn't want to release how many will fail.

Florida is quite frankly a step down from Georgia, much less California.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Florida can't even release its own internal schools grades because the state doesn't want to release how many will fail.

Florida is quite frankly a step down from Georgia, much less California.
That's funny, because you can find all of the school information online. I guess you're just mad that California is not run as well as Florida (which is proven by how much debt that state is in!)

The 10 Worst-Performing States in America - 24/7 Wall St. - The Atlantic

California is the WORST performing state in the nation! What an embarrassing place to live in comparison to Florida!

"California has the second-lowest percentage of adults with a high school diploma in the country, the second-highest foreclosure rate and is tied for the second highest unemployment rate in the U.S."

Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
California has a history of bieng a significant wealth creator, and civic leader. Florida has a history as a place no one dared to live in until air conditioning was invented. And it's history afterward is mixed.

Long term it seems Florida is overall screwed as either a cat 5 takes out chuncks of it (Miami) or the sea comes to get it. California will certainly shake SF down again but its likely most of the state will recover. They prepared for it to an extent.

It's not clear what will happen to Florida once Miami is gone. I suppose Orlando will become the main city.

I'd lay money on CA becoming a better place eventually and I'd lay money on Florida having Katrina like scenes. Could be 5 years or a hundred but Florida's fate is certain.
Oh boy, another "prophet"!

Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
If a person is looking to move because of schools I would not in general pick FL, CA or anywhere in the south. I am from MI and if I had kids I for sure would want them to go to grow up where I did in Bloomfield Hills area. The schools are excellent and one of the safest cities/upscale areas with some affordable areas.
I think it is funny when people say they want to move to FL and one of the reasons is for better schools. Give me a break they want to move to FL because they like the lifestyle or think they will. If one wants to move out of CA and there some valid reasons I feel especially if one has financial issue but there are many states better then FL to move to for families especially. If one is retiring FL I can see as an option.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
If a person is looking to move because of schools I would not in general pick FL, CA or anywhere in the south. I am from MI and if I had kids I for sure would want them to go to grow up where I did in Bloomfield Hills area. The schools are excellent and one of the safest cities/upscale areas with some affordable areas.
I think it is funny when people say they want to move to FL and one of the reasons is for better schools. Give me a break they want to move to FL because they like the lifestyle or think they will. If one wants to move out of CA and there some valid reasons I feel especially if one has financial issue but there are many states better then FL to move to for families especially. If one is retiring FL I can see as an option.
Most Californians "californicate" the neighboring states such as AZ, NM, ID, CO, NV, WY or MT. They have bought up properties there, raised the taxes and property values and made life all but impossible for the locals. The "school excuse" is just that, I agree with ya.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Oh boy, another "prophet"!
Not to mention one who ignores a little inconvenience called the San Andreas Fault.
Goooodbye, California.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:

In other words, move to a racially and ethnically homogenous and upscale suburb 20 miles from one of the most economically depressed and violent cities in America in a state that is shrinking in population.

I'm sure there are plenty of similarly situated ethnically homogenous upscale suburbs throughout the south that can compete with Bloomfield Hills. In fact, I work with and went to school with people who went to nationally ranked public high schools in Jacksonville and Palm Beach County.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:53 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
In other words, move to a racially and ethnically homogenous and upscale suburb 20 miles from one of the most economically depressed and violent cities in America in a state that is shrinking in population.

I'm sure there are plenty of similarly situated ethnically homogenous upscale suburbs throughout the south that can compete with Bloomfield Hills. In fact, I work with and went to school with people who went to nationally ranked public high schools in Jacksonville and Palm Beach County.
I have no idea what city in South FL can compare to Bloomfield Hills. Boca Raton for example the average income is 68,000 and BH 114,000. BH has a crime index of 2 which 10 is the highest and Boca a 5. Bloomfield Hills schools are a 10 and the private schools people come to from out of state to attend.
Also even if a city in FL is safe the near by areas tend not to be. That is very different from BH where neighbor cities have good schools and are safe.

Like I said if a person is retiring and wants the social aspects of retirement and the over 55 communities plus beach weather I can see picking FL.
If you are a family looking for safe family oriented area I don't see it as a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach