Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 09:29 AM

306 posts, read 687,867 times

Advertisements

1. What are the demographics like in Boynton Beach mainly? Chime in on all of PB County if you could also. I know there's a heavy Haitian population in BB. I just would like to know what other heavy nationalities are there (spanish, middle-eastern, whatever populations there are).

2. Best places for townhomes/condos anywhere from 1400-2000 sqft for rent reaching no more than $1600. School isn't a priority because this would be temporary. Just want a decent enough area to live that's close by everything and is relatively safe.

3. Best car insurance provider in FL for state minimum coverage? Cheapest, too I should say. We in VA have Elephant Auto which has been the cheapest so I don't necessarily want the big chains (Geico, Progressive, State Farm, etc).

4. Best home inspectors or home inspecting companies? Recommendations?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Planning for a big move later this year, just want my ducks in a row. I am sure more questions will arise. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM

Yeah, no. Any HELPFUL advice or answers? It's much appreciated, thank you!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 PM

33 posts, read 109,396 times
So like most of South Florida (Broward and Dade) Palm Beach County does have a very heavy hatian and latin population. Boynton Beach and parts of West Palm Beach do probably have the highest of the hatian population and the Lake Worth Corridor, Palm Springs, Lake Worth, and South area of West Palm Beach probably have the highest concentration of the latin population.

Fortunately car insurance in Broward and Palm Beach is cheaper than in Miami, i use Progressive and they have been fantastic. If you do their Snapshot program that can earn you extra cheap rates.

One thing to keep in mind about finding a place to live here is that Palm Beach County is the largest county in area in FL, it is very spread out and long up and down the coast. Where do you plan on working? What type of setting do you like? If boynton is something you were looking at, there are definitely great places. The whole area around the Boynton Beach Mall is fantastic, especially the condos that were built in the last decade. You'd be close to everything. Nearby Communities like Boynton Lakes are also fine. I lived in Boynton Lakes as a child from 1989-1991. The only areas to avoid in Boynton are east of I-95 around Gateway Blvd. This area is known as Cherry Hill and probably has one of the highest crime rates.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 AM

Sounds good. What other races are there other then Haitians? When you say "Latin" are we talking Puerto Ricans, Cubans, etc.? I'd imagine a lot of Cubans also.

I'd be opening up a wireless phone business with my brother-in-law and our market will be dependent on a lot of minorities due to international calling cards we have. We'd like to open it in Boynton or West Palm Beach. Our research has shown that WPB is cheaper in terms of lease but I think I'd rather LIVE in Boynton.

I hope Progressive is cheaper, they quoted me quite high up here in VA I was thinking a long the lines of those non-chain insurance companies where they are like in 1-4 states only (such as Elephant Auto here in VA). Or companies like The General.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 PM

33 posts, read 109,396 times
Well Latin may mean Guatemalan, cuban, and puerto rican. I would say those three are the top. If anything else besides hatian and latin, i would say like Broward, there is a light asian/indian community disbursed throughout the county. They are in no one area.

If you want a successful wireless phone business, I would say you want to focus on Lake Worth or South part of West Palm Beach. There is a lot of competition for this here though if you are selling services like MetroPCS or Boost. Boynton is going to have more locals and while still ethnic, probably not as much as Lake Worth area. Are you looking to rent or buy a home? Why do you choose boynton?

I wish I could help you more with insurance, but Ive only ever had Progressive and Mercury Insurance. Mercury is a smaller company, but I hate them they are just awful.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:00 AM

That's what I was looking for. I know there is a heavy Jamaican population in Belle Glade and maybe others I believe, no?

Sounds good, I will look into properties there. It will be prepaid services but it won't be Metro or Boost, it'll be a few different choices between Simple Mobile, Red Pocket, H2O, etc. (along with other electronics like gaming and computer parts/gaming computers). We will focus on online sales too via eBay, Amazon and Craigslist advertising.

We're looking to rent first to see how business goes and then maybe buy but it'd definitely be rent first. Boynton just because my wife and my brother in law's wife have a lot of family in Boynton. We liked the area, it was close to a lot. We wouldn't mind West Palm to live in or work but the rest of her family is in Belle Glade which we want to avoid, lol.

And I did get a quote from Progressive, it wasn't bad actually. Tad more expensive than what I pay now but I'd imagine the discounts would come after the Snapshot program. I'd probably go with them. Thanks for that info!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:25 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,328,662 times
Just do us a favor.... if you plan on opening up in Southern West Palm Beach (west of Dixie Highway south of Belvedere is where the Latin community is located....or even Lake Worth.... PLEASE keep it decent in appearance and signage for the rest of us who have to drive by and live in the city.

For some reason people who cater to "ethnic" populations often have zero appreciation for aesthetic qualities of the exterior of their businesses!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:09 AM

I've been in retail and customer service for all of my working career, so no problem. Besides, like I said, there will be gaming hardware and computer parts as well as miscellaneous electronics. I will have too much pride for my store to make it look trashy, so no problem! When we open in the near future, do come visit and see if I stayed true to my word, haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach