Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 PM

584 posts, read 1,688,363 times

Advertisements

I just looked at one small section of Riviera Beach via Google Maps, it is a run down neighbourhood, a ghetto to me ! I suppose "normal" people could tell instantly from the streetscape: Grass is mostly dead, properties look ghetto to me, some sections are industrial, no curb appeal, streetscape is next to nothing ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I just looked at one small section of Riviera Beach via Google Maps, it is a run down neighbourhood, a ghetto to me ! I suppose "normal" people could tell instantly from the streetscape: Grass is mostly dead, properties look ghetto to me, some sections are industrial, no curb appeal, streetscape is next to nothing ...

Try driving thru it with your GPS going north from Delray and you don't know your way and it takes you into neighborhoods to make a short cut and you see ghetto homes and one had a huge sign in their window or outside their home, "Stop the Violence"....something like that. I think I was in Riviera Beach, don't recall but it was past West Palm Beach. I take the scenic routes and apparently, it was very scenic

Old 10-14-2012, 05:51 PM

58 posts, read 126,354 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2012 at 07:17 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 02:28 PM

10 posts, read 39,304 times
It's funny that this thread took this direction because I've been looking at MANY neighborhoods and decided to head back up north.

Florida is beautiful and I like living near the water... but the people... holy heck the people...

Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengofoot View Post
It's funny that this thread took this direction because I've been looking at MANY neighborhoods and decided to head back up north.

Florida is beautiful and I like living near the water... but the people... holy heck the people...

Guess where "the people" come from in South Florida?

"Up North!"

Which is what a lot of transplants don't like about it.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 39,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

"Up North!"

Yes... the people who didn't mesh well up north end up down here. That's why they're HERE and not THERE.

If you think the people are the same you're mistaken and quite simply I don't enjoy the culture here as much as I enjoyed living in downtown Chicago.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
I just don't understand some of the "mindset" that goes on when talking about a place, whether it be a development, neighborhood, etc. Of course everyone's experiences are different, but the "extreme" is NOT the norm. Even one person's norm, if extreme, is not everyone's norm.

I often read these threads and see an "us" and "them" mentality. The "us" is the wonderful neighborhood that has so much to offer, and the "them" is some undesirable, ghetto, or something of the like. That said, there are plenty of wonderful neighborhoods, developments, areas -- whatever you want to call it -- that border, are near, etc. what some may view as an "undesirable" neighborhood or area. So be it. It doesn't mean you have to socialize there, dine there or anything of the like. It also doesn't mean that an undesirable element is going to invade your wonderful neighborhood and "ruin" where you live. Enough of the judgmental "us" and "them" so to speak.

That said, in my opinion, Singer Island is a very nice place to live. As I said, I have many friends who live there and work there. I've spent a lot of time there as well, and my experience, and the experience of ALL of my friends, has been that there is no downside to living or working there. If there are nearby areas that concern you...let's make it simple...don't go there! And believe me, the people from those areas will not come to you, contrary to some of the prejudice or judgments being made.

There are some very nice places to live in Singer Island. Don't label an entire geographic area as "bad" or a "problem" because Riviera Beach is a "concern" or something of the like. There are plenty of high-end, affluent, etc. neighborhoods in FL that are near or border areas that are less desirable. Just look throughout Palm Beach County. Jupiter Island is one of the most "expensive" places to live in the US and one of the "wealthiest" areas of the US -- and there are nearby areas that many would deem to be a "problem" or a "concern" so to speak. That hasn't stopped people from wanting to live there, and recognizing all of the benefits of living in a wonderful area, yet the "fear" or the "extreme" doesn't engulf them.

Live your life...and enjoy life.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:08 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post

There are some very nice places to live in Singer Island. Don't label an entire geographic area as "bad" or a "problem" because Riviera Beach is a "concern" or something of the like. There are plenty of high-end, affluent, etc. neighborhoods in FL that are near or border areas that are less desirable. Just look throughout Palm Beach County. Jupiter Island is one of the most "expensive" places to live in the US and one of the "wealthiest" areas of the US -- and there are nearby areas that many would deem to be a "problem" or a "concern" so to speak. That hasn't stopped people from wanting to live there, and recognizing all of the benefits of living in a wonderful area, yet the "fear" or the "extreme" doesn't engulf them.

Very poor analogy with the mention of Jupiter Island.....They have their own police force, cameras on both access points to their island and there is only one small pocket of low income homes in Hobe Sound nearby (Banner Lake). Singer Island shares their police force with Riviera Beach, the Blue Heron bridge is always lined with transients fishing/hanging out and due to the public beach/new shopping center you will have to "share" your local amenities with the undesirables. There is one small public beach park on Jupiter Island and no commercial ventures so there is no reason to go over to the island unlike Singer Island. Take a trip down Blue Heron Blvd or even US1 at 9 pm any night of the week and let me know if you would feel comfortable changing a flat tire......Now do the same in Hobe Sound, heck I bet a cop stops and helps you change the tire!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

"Up North!"

I have an uncle that is a Jupiter Island resident and frequently tells me of horror stories about "the people" working for him down here. Guys doing shoddy work, getting paid then not standing behind their work/product. A couple years ago he remodeled his house "up north." Spent 500K updating a 14K sq ft home. He got it done and returned the folllowing spring only to find tools/golf clubs/misc items stolen out of his basement. My response: "Wait a minute, what about all those upstanding guys from "up north" or did you just hire Florida contractors?

I haven't heard a single comment about "the people" in Florida anymore.......Moral of the story is you can get good or bad people anywhere but Florida still remains a sunny place for shady people!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
Florida still remains a sunny place for shady people!
I like that statement and agree with you. Is it any better on the other side of Florida~?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach