Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennmc31 View Post
I made this mistake about 10 yrs ago and relocated from north Fl to Jupiter...it was a bad decision. So expensive...everything is expensive. I wouldn't do it again and if you decide to go west(inland) as much as possible. Prices go down a little.
You really think it's more than other parts? Where do you find it cheaper?

All things being relative, I'm finding the Jupiter / Palm B Gardens area really affordable. Not cheap, but decent (very imo) prices on most everything.

Where were you before where you found it a lot cheaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM

6 posts, read 11,411 times
Just in Fl? That was our first move about 10-11 yrs ago and it was the first of many in quite a few states. Everyplace was cheaper except maybe Minneapolis which had a high state tax along with high prices. In Florida(where I grew up) I have lived in Ocala(very affordable) and Palm Coast and St Augustine(also quite affordable). There is a huge difference in rental prices, home prices, school prices and even food prices. My cousins grew up in South Fl and chose as adults to buy homes in Stuart which also offers far more home for the price compared to any areas South of it. From what I've seen. When I was young and my family moved from NY to Fl we(meaning my family and many relatives) relocated to Boca and Ft Lauderdale area. Some of us left and went north to Ocala and the rest stayed in South Fl. The differences to me were obvious most of my life. I didn't grasp the financial aspect until I was older and learned the hard way. I'm not saying it's impossible, you just have to be prepared

Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,026,580 times
Quote:
Just in Fl? That was our first move about 10-11 yrs ago and it was the first of many in quite a few states. Everyplace was cheaper except maybe Minneapolis which had a high state tax along with high prices. In Florida(where I grew up) I have lived in Ocala(very affordable) and Palm Coast and St Augustine(also quite affordable). There is a huge difference in rental prices, home prices, school prices and even food prices. My cousins grew up in South Fl and chose as adults to buy homes in Stuart which also offers far more home for the price compared to any areas South of it. From what I've seen. When I was young and my family moved from NY to Fl we(meaning my family and many relatives) relocated to Boca and Ft Lauderdale area. Some of us left and went north to Ocala and the rest stayed in South Fl. The differences to me were obvious most of my life. I didn't grasp the financial aspect until I was older and learned the hard way. I'm not saying it's impossible, you just have to be prepared
Ocala being cheaper than other parts of Florida is a very good example of the old axiom, you get what you pay for.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 11,411 times
Ok, and St Augustine, Palm Coast and Stuart and the list can go on and on...South Fl is not superior to these places as your tone suggests. Ocala was and is a beautiful place to grow up.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Ok, and St Augustine, Palm Coast and Stuart and the list can go on and on...South Fl is not superior to these places as your tone suggests. Ocala was and is a beautiful place to grow up.
Not sure why you used Stuart as an example. Average home sale price in Martin County and Palm Beach County have been almost identical for several years. And PBCs average includes "The Island," Jupiter, Boca, etc. Stuart is as expensive as it gets in Martin.

St. Augustine is pretty, but it's not a good city to compare to a real metro area like South Florida. It's about as much of a "real city" as Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

Palm Coast... there's really not much there. Of course it's cheap.

The cities on your list are cheaper than SFL for the same reason somewhere like San Bernardino is cheaper than Los Angeles. You pay a little more to get a lot more.

Besides, South Florida is still VERY cheap compared to any other coastal major metro area.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Besides, South Florida is still VERY cheap compared to any other coastal major metro area.
It's all relative to the salaries though isn't it.....San Diego being an exception since salaries there tend to suck even more than here at a even higher cost of living.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,495 times
Right thx. Wondering if salaries might be higher on average in palm beach county....

Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,513,513 times
Ummmmm no.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
It's all relative to the salaries though isn't it.....San Diego being an exception since salaries there tend to suck even more than here at a even higher cost of living.
Salaries don't matter to everyone though, i.e. those in business for themselves.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Right thx. Wondering if salaries might be higher on average in palm beach county....
Average salary in PBC is around $40K or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach