Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM

51 posts, read 121,561 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I got a job offer in Delray Beach. We (my hubby, 2 and 8 year old, 2 doggies and horse) currently live in MA.

This is my dream job! We already have a house and all.

My concern is schools- the schools in the area seem like they aren't getting very many good reviews. My oldest would go to public. Is there any schools (elementry) in Delray Beach, where the dress code is uniforms? I am looking for that?

Also, is there elementry schools we can choose to go to? Or are they zoned? I want to find one that has really impressionable classmates on my kids and a great curriculaum. As well as, really caring teachers. We are used to private schools. So, naturally, I am nervous about the transition.

Can we go to a nearby town, to go to school?

Is the.town good about providing schooling to early learners? I know We were looking into moving to Sarasota,FL, and they have free preschool! They really care about the wellbeing of the kids in their community. I don't see any services, on the community website, for Delray.

This is the only reason I am second guessing my choice, to move. The schools. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM

95 posts, read 225,566 times
Pre-School is free for all Florida residents at certain schools only in the year before kindergarten. The program is called VPK (voluntary pre-kindergarten). Pre-schools must be approved/accredited through the state to offer VPK, so not all schools offer this program. Schools not approved for VPK will not be free.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,306,279 times
You can go to greatschools.net or schooldigger.com or the Florida school report card and do your homework there....

Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,578,112 times
First off Delray is not horse friendly, you can do Equus in Boynton Beach but meh, you should move to Wellington. It's the best place for horses. Since you got your dream job and a family you can step up to this gorgeous 6 bed 6 bath starter home, 3,256 sq ft home with tack room and stable on 13.64 acres in Wellington's exclusive Grand Prix Village.

3148 Grand Prix Farms Rd Wellington FL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #R3335067 - Realtor.com®

No need for free schools, Wellington has some of the best schools in Palm Beach County and TKA is very close, but I prefer Wellington Christian myself as they have valet service on drop offs.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:44 AM

151 posts, read 212,343 times
Education is sadly very low on the priority scale it seems for Florida gov't. I would say even public schools that appear "good" are not going to be comparable to "good" in the northeast/new england.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM

134 posts, read 281,143 times
Good answer about Wellington... that is horse country, unless you buy acreage somewhere out west and build your own. Regarding schools, my advice is to take the job, put the kids into private school, and then keep your eyes open to study the public schools. Some are good, but many are NOT.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:40 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,404,359 times
Definitely go private. Especially in Delray area.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM

166 posts, read 383,145 times
Hello MA, we moved to Parkland from MA/NH many years ago. Just because your job is in Delray I would check out other areas that are more family centered and better public schools. We chose Parkland for bigger lots and the best public schools in the US according to Forbes, bang for the real estate buck! Parkland is a horse town with 2-3 acre ranches and Pine Tree Estates which are one acre homesites which allow horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach