Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM

167 posts, read 875,713 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Well I will be moving back to South Florida in the next few weeks. I have actually lived in Broward and Palm Beach County. I prefer PBC. I lived in Palm Beach Gardens last, and I really liked it there, though was a roomate situation and it didnt work out too well. Anyway, so now I am looking for a place to live over there, possibly an efficiency or a small apartment, but I can only spend $600 to $700 a month and I would like to find something with some bills included and possibly furnished, though it doesnt have to be furnished. Does anyone have suggestions on the best places to live in PBC? And where I can find the rent Im looking for? I would like to go through a realty company possibly, but since when I get there I wont have a job, the realty companies dont seem to want to help you with finding a place, even if you have job possibilities or have some money saved up. So Im definitely open to suggestions on that. Right now my only option seems to be looking for places on craigslist.

As for jobs, I did work in Broward county and a short time in Palm Beach County. I normally get jobs through temp agencies for administrative/clerical work. I signed up with a few temp agencies in fort lauderdale and only one helped me. I find people in Broward arent that helpful and are sometimes just plain rude. Anyway so then I moved to PBC and signed up with quite a few temp agencies in WPB and I have been getting calls from them over the past few months about jobs they have for me, while Ive been away from Florida. Im in Texas right now. I already think that PBC is much nicer to live in than Broward, but I am curious to know if jobs pay more in PBC since it is a more upscale area...

Then the last thing I am wondering about is healthcare. I dont have any health insurance. I tried getting signed up with the low cost healthcare in Broward and that was just a huge mess. They wanted so much paperwork that it made it almost impossible.. I am wondering if there is a good program in Palm Beach for low cost healthcare that is not so hard to get...I am taking a few medications that I need to continue getting refills on....

Well I really appreciate any advice on all of this. Thanks!!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,154,244 times
Not sure you can find any apartments in PBGardens for that price, unless you're sharing/ roommate. Palm Beach Gardens is BEAUTIFUL but not cheap at all.

Good Luck!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM

167 posts, read 875,713 times
I know it wont be PBG... It is really nice there though!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,579,848 times
A 1 bedroom that you describe will probably be in the $1K+ range. You might have to lower your standards to get a lower priced option.

One bit of advice, I know a lot of people out of work, some are college educated and experienced and are struggling to find a job in their field here. Many have left during the downturn. When you see 150 people apply for a receptionist job paying minimum wage, many of which whom are over qualified, that say's something. There is a ton of competition for the jobs available, even if temp agencies that say they have work are just building their resume pool. I heard so many people talk of discontent and frustration with temp agencies after trying to land work in Administrative and a few other sectors. Many say they go in, take the "tests" and never hear anything back.

Then there is the salary thing, fact is the job market is way better in Texas, not sure where in Texas you are but Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth and Austin all have a much better job market. You would be better off staying where you are or going to one of those places.

The pay in Broward is no different than Palm Beach County, I never have seen a difference. It's all luck, the company and line of work your in, for Admin/Work I would not expect much as times have changed. Salaries for the average Joe or Jane suck in comparison to the high cost of living here.

I can't say much about low cost healthcare, only thing I know of in Palm Beach County is Vita Health.

Health Care District of Palm Beach County : Learn More

Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 AM

355 posts, read 910,203 times
Work is scarce, a few months ago we had posted a job opening for a shipping clerk at $10 per hour and have over 200 applicants, many who held masters degrees and held executive positions at their last job. It was really sad.

I don't know where you can find a place that cheap, even the sketchy areas are getting $800-$900 per month, with the housing downturn, rentals are scarce and that has driven up prices. I agree with looking on craigslist, maybe you will get lucky or be able to find a room mate.

I can't say much on the healthcare front, maybe a membership to Costco may be worth your while, give them a call and see what the prices are on your meds. Also some meds have discount cards you can sign up for that will discount your meds. We have our insurance through goldenrule.com , we have a high deductible which lowers the monthly price.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM

39 posts, read 114,055 times
Open an account at Roommates.com, Roomster.com, or a similar sight and find someone who will rent you a room. That's the easiest, and cheapest way to find something. You will not find an apartment to rent for the price point you listed.

Me personally, I hate Craigslist for the purposes of finding apartments/real estate. Waaaay too many scams and misleading BS there.

Moving anywhere when you don't first have a job that provides a sufficient salary is a horrible idea. I mean no offense, but I think you're being horribly foolish to rely on temp agency work upon arrival.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,924,679 times
Getting a roommate would be a great idea if you want to only spend 600-700/mo in any "nice area" not just PBG. I'm sure you can find that price range in some parts of palm beach county but they're probably in unsafe parts of town. I own now, but I rented when I first moved to PBG years ago (and even back then my rent was around 1k/month for a 1 bedroom). I'll be honest with you- if your only employment is getting work through a temp agency, it's going to be pretty iffy as far as maintaining an apartment and covering expenses.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,884,474 times
Jen: I agree with those who have advised that you stay in Texas. The job market throughout Florida is terrible. Even if you found an apt. at the price and inclusions you are looking for in a safe area (which would be a miracle), no landlord would rent to you without seeing proof of full-time permanent employment and a min. 1 month security deposit. You might find someone to rent a furnished room to you without proof of employment, but they would want to be paid weekly with a min. of 4 weeks paid upfront as security. Do you have any relatives or friends who will allow you to stay with them until you find a permanent job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach