Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,542 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My Girlfriend and I purchased a new car cash in both names with the word "AND" on all paperwork from the dealership as well as the DMV for title. Shortly after she had the DMV "REMOVE my name from the title WITHOUT MY SIGNATURE". Is the legal? What can I do? It seems under Florida Article 319.22 section 1 line B. She does not have the power to do so and I should recieve half the amount of the purchase price of the vehicle. I have been seeking help for over many months now. Could someone please provide me in the right directions A.S.A.P. I truly thank you for reading my posting and could only pray I get an answer very soon. Best wishes to everyone seeking fair justice.

Article 319.22 (1)-(b)
When such owner or coowner has made proper endorsement and delivery of the certificate of title as provided by this chapter. Proper endorsement shall be:

a.When a motor vehicle or mobile home is registered in the names of two or more persons as coowners in the alternative by the use of the word "or," such vehicle shall be held in joint tenancy. Each coowner shall be deemed to have granted to the other coowner the absolute right to dispose of the title and interest in the vehicle or mobile home, and the signature of any coowner shall constitute proper endorsement. Upon the death of a coowner, the interest of the decedent shall pass to the survivor as though title or interest in the vehicle or mobile home was held in joint tenancy. This provision shall apply even if the coowners are husband and wife.

b.When a vehicle or mobile home is registered in the names of two or more persons as coowners in the conjunctive by the use of the word "and," the signature of each coowner or his or her personal representative shall be required to transfer title to the vehicle or mobile home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,884,474 times
It is my understanding of the law that she can not legally have your name removed from the title if the title reads "AND". Did you go to the DMV and ask to see the paperwork she provided when changing the title?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,728,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
It is my understanding of the law that she can not legally have your name removed from the title if the title reads "AND". Did you go to the DMV and ask to see the paperwork she provided when changing the title?
That's the way I read it. But then you know how much they pay these DMV folks don't ya? I doubt that the clerk at DMV know squat about the law, and probably doesn't care either.

The wife and I keep everything separate except the house. But we did that for liability reasons only.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,884,474 times
She may have signed your name on the document needed to have your name removed from the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach