Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM

192 posts, read 407,575 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Just returned from a trip to Jupiter area to scope out some potential neighborhoods and I wasn't too impressed. We liked Jupiter Inlet Colony, but the houses were on the small side and the yard probably not big enough for our needs...

Any suggestions for a family friendly area (two kids, 10 and 12) with decent yards (two big dogs) and nice updated homes?

We checked out Heritage Oaks area and came away thinking the houses were on the older side and not as updated as we would like...although I liked the trees

Abacoa is probably too close to 95 for our tastes...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 PM

39 posts, read 113,643 times
Finidng a decent size home for a reasonable price is the problem I've been having too. You're not alone Tingum. According to stats from the Census Bureau and the National Home Builders Association, the average size house in the US is about 2400 square feet, but don't tell that to Floridians, because that's practically unheard of down here. A large house here is about 2000 sf, whereas an average one is about 1500 sf. That's ridiculously small in my opinion, but then again, you can't expect much more considering basements are non existant and split level floor plans are only found on town houses, and up scale single family houses. Unless you're willing to spend $250k or more on a house, you won't have an easy time finding one with a split level floor plan which provides more adequate space. If you're looking for acerage you have to move west to Jupiter Farms, or Loxahatchee. You won't have an easy time finding it in Jupiter.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum23 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just returned from a trip to Jupiter area to scope out some potential neighborhoods and I wasn't too impressed. We liked Jupiter Inlet Colony, but the houses were on the small side and the yard probably not big enough for our needs...

Any suggestions for a family friendly area (two kids, 10 and 12) with decent yards (two big dogs) and nice updated homes?

We checked out Heritage Oaks area and came away thinking the houses were on the older side and not as updated as we would like...although I liked the trees

Abacoa is probably too close to 95 for our tastes...

Thanks!
JIC is the best neighborhood in the Jupiter area but due to the pricing it isn't loaded with young families/kids. It would kill me to pay 750k for a 40 year old dry lot home in there. If you can't be on the water in there to me it isn't worth living there!

Heritage Oaks is nice, mostly 15+ year old homes but there are some newer ones and a few vacant lots so there will be new construction eventually. Doesn't appear to be a kid neighborhood. The location isn't great, very far from I95 and the schools are not Jupiter schools but rather Martin County.

Egret Landing abuts both Abacoa and I95 but has newer larger homes on larger than Abacoa lots for about the same price. Rialto is a new gated community and the homes are like 3000 to 5000 sq ft but it also abuts I95. Egret is loaded with kids and has the best school district of any of the neighborhoods listed. Rialto should have a lot of kids also due to the size of the homes. 33458 is the zip code for Abacoa, Egret and Rialto.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 AM

355 posts, read 908,760 times
I know of only one Abacoa neighborhood that is close enough to I-95 that you can hear it (The Island). New Haven is close to the train but you get used to that. The rest of the Abacoa neighborhoods are pretty centralized. How big of a yard are you looking for? Many newer communities are zero lot line. Keep in mind insurance costs will most likely be significantly higher if the house is older than 2001 (if you want mature trees, you are most likely looking in an older neighborhood or further North of Jupiter). Did you look in Tequesta at all or Palm Beach Gardens?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
I know of only one Abacoa neighborhood that is close enough to I-95 that you can hear it (The Island). New Haven is close to the train but you get used to that. The rest of the Abacoa neighborhoods are pretty centralized. How big of a yard are you looking for? Many newer communities are zero lot line. Keep in mind insurance costs will most likely be significantly higher if the house is older than 2001 (if you want mature trees, you are most likely looking in an older neighborhood or further North of Jupiter). Did you look in Tequesta at all or Palm Beach Gardens?
To be fair the Island homes abut the golf course which you can actually see I95 from in some sections. The Heights neighborhood buffers the zone between Abacoa and I95 as you move north of Donald Ross.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks everyone. We looked in Tequesta...not too impressed. We loved the newer larger homes on the water in Tequesta Country Club area but didn't like that they were across the street from older 60's era homes that sell for under 500K.

We did not look in Abacoa, but maybe we should...I like the looks of Valencia very much.

I don't want a Mcmansion, but I have a hard time spending the $$ for the smaller homes in JIC - plus, I really didn't see too many kids there when we visited.

Are there any family neighborhoods on Jupiter Island proper?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Valencia has lots, LOTS of kids. However the lots can tend to be on the smaller side depending on the model, so you might have a pool, or a patio but a tiny little strip of grass for your dogs to frolic.

Martinique is another neighborhood which is newer and has a lot of kids. There are some lots in Martinique with pretty large backyards.

I don't know much about the demographics on Jupiter Island, but I know its not the type of area where kids play stick ball in the street and trick-or-treat. I do know that many are seasonal residents which will leave the neighborhood empty 6 months out of the year.

I'm not sure how much you are looking to spend, there is a BIG difference between a home on Jupiter Island and an Abacoa home

Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,378,232 times
Depending on the price point you are looking in I'd also recommend Valencia. Seems to match a lot of what you mentioned you are looking for it's not gated so you could take a drive through.
What are your concerns about being close to 95? You won't get any freeway noise in most of the Abacoa communities.

There are a few small communities North of Indiantown in Jupiter with larger lots.

The most inexpensive home on Jupiter Island is 2.2mil right now, and 1.4m for a newer home in JIC so they probably won't work.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM

I'm going to have my husband drive through Valencia this afternoon (he's in FL now). Sounds promising. I think the houses there are lovely (at least they look that way on the Internet). We looked at another new development by the same builder...Old Osprey Pointe? - can't remember the name, but that house was very nice as well.

Yes, honestly, noise was a concern of mine in Abacoa, but from what I am hearing on this board, it's not as big of an issue as I thought.

JIC had some nice houses that needed some TLC and the possibility of a new construction as well, but again, I just don't think it's a "kid" type of neighborhood. I liked the proximity to the beach, but then I wonder about insurance. So, it's more than likely not an option (although my husband really liked it a lot)...

One more question about Abacoa - what are my options there as far as private schools? We originally were looking at the Pine School in Hobe Sound - how far away would Abacoa be from there?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 PM

Pine School is going to be a bit of a hike depending on where you live. If I were to pick an arbitrary area like Valencia you are looking at least a 30 minute drive there.

For private schools, I highly recommend checking out the following:
The Benjamin School (DD16 attends the upper school, has received an exemplary education, wishes she had gone there earlier). The lower school (elementary & middle) is in North Palm Beach. About 15-20 minutes

The Weiss School (This is a gifted school, I don't know much about it but have heard good things). About 15-20 minutes from Valencia

Turtle River Montessori (My DS9 attends, I cannot speak highly enough about it). Goes up to grade 8, son wants to move in there lol. This is about 5 minutes from Valencia

There are of course other schools and some parachoical schools, but I don't know anything about them- Jupiter Christian, All Saints, Jupiter Academy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach