Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM

44 posts, read 92,915 times

Advertisements

So we've decided to get away from the STRESSFUL life in Washington, DC and move to Florida. My husband will be transferring to work at the W Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. I will probably find work in either Boca Raton or Fort Lauderdale. My research tells me that purchasing in Parkland, Coral Springs or Boca Raton will provide the best schools for our son. Will we be fighting the rush hour traffic with any of these commutes? Traffic is one of the things that we're trying to get away from!

Also, are any of the areas that I've mentioned at all diverse?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,283,804 times
Please research on Coral Springs...We have very good friends that bought there since they wanted Coral Glades HS however the younger ones will be attending private school....you cant go wrong with Boca depending on where in Boca you choose also depending on how old he is

Old 02-23-2013, 10:54 PM

I'll definitely look into that since our son is only 5 years old.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:22 AM

39 posts, read 113,717 times
There are approximately 19 million people who live in FL now. About 5 million of them live in the 3 county area of Broward, Dade and Palm Beach county alone. If you're looking to get away from traffic this is the wrong place for you. With that said, it's not the traffic jams that will do you in, it's all the damn stop lights. Traffic actually moves along pretty well for the most part because the interstates have plenty of lanes of traffic, but once you get on the sidestreets, a 15 mile commute can turn into 45 minutes or more depending on stop lights and other factors.

What do you mean by diverse? LOL, one thing that isn't diverse about FL is all the northeasterns we have here. If all the New Englanders up and left FL at once, we'd have 60% less people living here.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,283,804 times
Galan is spot on...We are from Brooklyn and needless the say the Drivers and Traffic are quiet awful here so if its Traffic your looking to get away from well South Florida might not be the place...95 when there is traffic it moves a little not a stand still like NY but alot of cars and most people who can't drive and No they arent all old...lol
All in All we do love living here so we don't complain...

Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 AM

355 posts, read 908,967 times
East to West traffic along major roads (as someone mentioned due to traffic lights) are a headache unless he can cater his work hours to non-rush hour times. North-South I-95 and Turnpike are NOTHING compared to what we experienced on the Beltway on our visit to family in MD.
Coral Springs is beautiful.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Jgreco5, there definitely aren't many places where the traffic compares to the Beltway!! The DC area actually won the coveted title for worst traffic in the country and tops the lists for rudest drivers and longest commutes. I can deal with some traffic, but it currently takes me 1.5 hrs to commute 20 miles. I have seen that Southern Fl. is barely missing the top 10 list for traffic, though. Does anyone have an idea of what the commutes might be? Ideally I'd like to stay under 45 minutes.

And I'm not surprised that there are a lot of Northeasterns down there. Many people don't enjoy half of the year being winter...I know I don't =)

Old 02-24-2013, 04:16 PM

355 posts, read 908,967 times
I think you'll be able to keep it under 45 minutes. Hey, anything is an improvement over 1.5 hrs to go 20 minutes!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 AM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheree202 View Post
So we've decided to get away from the STRESSFUL life in Washington, DC and move to Florida. My husband will be transferring to work at the W Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. I will probably find work in either Boca Raton or Fort Lauderdale. My research tells me that purchasing in Parkland, Coral Springs or Boca Raton will provide the best schools for our son. Will we be fighting the rush hour traffic with any of these commutes? Traffic is one of the things that we're trying to get away from!

Also, are any of the areas that I've mentioned at all diverse?

Thanks so much!!
Boca Raton would be the safest and best option for your family. Coral Springs would actually be a longer commute, but more affordable. Your husband should be able to make the commute from Boca Raton within 45 minutes. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is a good resource for finding schools. I moved around a lot growing up, so it really came in handy. Good luck on your move! I'm sure you will love it.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,484,976 times
Don't expect the drivers in boca to have any respect for other drivers, or, you know, actual traffic laws. The attitude of drivers in boca is an attitude of entitlement that I don't see in any other city in south florida. Even Miami, miami drivers suck but they don't have the 'tude. They just suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach